Oil for 2007 2.5 liter 5 cylinder VW Rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

First post her on this cool forum.

My question is I have been canvassing the local auto parts store for 5W40 Synthetic for the new to me 2007 VW Rabbit with 72,000 miles. It has been running Pennzoil 5W40 but that doesn't seem to be widely available. In my local (Atlanta GA) the choices are:

Mobil 1 5W40 at $6.99 a quart.
Castrol Syntec 5W40 at about $4-5 quart.
Shell Rotella T6 5W40 $20 per gallon.

Is it OK to switch between brands of synthetic oil (as long as it is another synthetic)?

How do the WIX filters stand up?

My OCI is 10,000 miles.

Thanks in advance for your time,

SG
Atlanta GA

If you're running 10k OCI, I'd stick to any oil that meets the VW 502.00 spec. Out of the ones that are easy to find, M1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30 come to mind. However, the ones you mentioned should work as well. How long does it take you to run up 10k miles?

As for filters, WIX is good, or just stick to OEM (Mann/Mahle/Hengst) - they're not expensive if you buy them online.

Hey Gumby....My wife and I have the same car except it's the 2009 rabbit and we've noticed that VW 502 oils are hard to find as well...Probably any high quality synthetic oil of the appropriate viscosity like you mentioned would be fine and protect your engine very well...However, I wouldn't put it past any manufacturer to cause you alot of hassel because you didn't use a 502 oil if something went wrong even if the oil didn't cause the failure...

It's no problem switching brands of synthetic.

On filters...Wix makes good filters but I have not seen the Wix filters that are the cartridge type filter that the VW Rabbit uses...Fram actually makes a good filter for the rabbit...Alot of folks don't like frams conventional filters, but their cartridge type filters are made very well...I think they are made by another company for fram but I'm not sure...But they look just as well made as the OEM filter and you can get them at walmart for a decent price...

Personally I would put the M1 0W-40 into the car and be very comfortable. In fact, that is what I do with my wife's 2008 Rabbit. I use a Mann filter, ordered from Amazon!

robert

If you can get pennzoil platinum 5w-40, run it! Right now we are using, and are happy with m1 ESP, 5w-30that is 504/507 approved.

The favorite oil that we run in my wife's '07 Beetle is GC. Noticeably better performance..Yeah Yeah I know...only butt dyno.. as well as small improvement in MPG. Easily found at Pep- Boys and Auto Zone

Owners manual says 5W-30 is OK if VW 502 5W-40 can't be found... I couldn't find any LOL

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If you can get pennzoil platinum 5w-40, run it! Right now we are using, and are happy with m1 ESP, 5w-30that is 504/507 approved.

Ack ack - Can't find Penn PLat 5W40 in the Atlanta stores! The local VW (Jim Ellis) dealer is using the Castrol Syntec 5W40...On other forums this would be called an ADOT (Another D@mn Oil Thread). It's nice to find a civil forum dedicated to Oil threads.

Thanks again in advance for your replies.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
The favorite oil that we run in my wife's '07 Beetle is GC. Noticeably better performance..Yeah Yeah I know...only butt dyno.. as well as small improvement in MPG. Easily found at Pep- Boys and Auto Zone

Owners manual says 5W-30 is OK if VW 502 5W-40 can't be found... I couldn't find any LOL

I saw that. Will keep it in mind. Sorry? "GC" ? I'm not up to speed on the short hand...

OOOGH found this PDF from VW dated 2006. I guess the Shell Rotella T6 is too new to be included here - http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/vw_tb_17-05-04.pdf

Last edited:
GC is Castrol 0W-30. It is Made in Germany. Pep Boys and Auto Zone carry it...

SAE 0W-30: Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5
specification*. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is
required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for
unaided engine starts down to -40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturers warranty requirements for the
protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended.

Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GMLLA-
025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline
Engine Oils.

Originally Posted By: SemperGumby

On other forums this would be called an ADOT (Another D@mn Oil Thread). It's nice to find a civil forum dedicated to Oil threads.

we got'im, boys,.....
02.gif

resistance is futile

Last edited:
Valvoline 5w40 MST is VW 502. I would use full syn with the VW certs for 10,000 mile changes. Checking the level is also a good habit.

Yep Im leaning to the Castrol Syntec 5W40 summer and 5W30 or 0W30 winter (the car will be in Vermont).

Seems to be consensus forming out of KAOS.

Originally Posted By: SemperGumby
Yep Im leaning to the Castrol Syntec 5W40 summer and 5W30 or 0W30 winter (the car will be in Vermont).

Seems to be consensus forming out of KAOS.

You could use any 3 of those grades (assuming they meet the proper specs) year-round.

If you go with the GC 0w-30, just make sure it says made in germany on the back. They also have a ow-30 made in the US but its not nearly as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back