Nitpicking Details On My Truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall I am very satisfied with my Sierra but there are minor annoyances.

With outside door locks, the (top of the) key has to be turned to the back to unlock, the opposite of the vast majority of vehicles. Because of this now I have to think before I turn the key on vehicles at work where the key operates normally(and sensibly). What was once very intuitive and reflexive no longer is because of this one vehicle.

With no AC on the truck, there is also no 'recirculate' feature. In the winter, when the engine is still warming up, it is nice to have 'reciculate'. Also, if it is very dusty outside, it is a nice feature to have.

Without the fan there is no air movement inside the vehicle, even at speed. It wasn't the case with a 1982 Mazda B2000 I had, which had nice flow-thru ventilation.

That is all I can think of now.

If you had a/c, you could switch the setting to Max A/C, that's recirculates the air.

For some unknown reason, American cars do not have a recirculate feature (aside from max a/c). You would think by now, they would've caught on and put it in.
Then again, if you're sick, why recirculate your germs back at you?

Dunno if it is de-contenting or whether it is a case of never available. My 1996 F250 did not have 'recirculate' whereas my 1982 Mazda B2000 did, even though the Mazda did not have a/c.

Originally Posted By: EricF
If you had a/c, you could switch the setting to Max A/C, that's recirculates the air.

For some unknown reason, American cars do not have a recirculate feature (aside from max a/c). You would think by now, they would've caught on and put it in.
Then again, if you're sick, why recirculate your germs back at you?

Plenty American cars have recirc. Heck - my 94 Corvette has it, My CTS has it and many others. It is sometimes difficult to figure out on some I give you that.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Without the fan there is no air movement inside the vehicle, even at speed. It wasn't the case with a 1982 Mazda B2000 I had, which had nice flow-thru ventilation.

I like that & wish my '94 Grand Am would do that. If I wanted flow-thru ventilation, I'll turn the fan on since that is what it is for IMHO. There are times that I want to shut off air-flow.

With no AC on the truck, there is also no 'recirculate' feature. In the winter, when the engine is still warming up, it is nice to have 'reciculate'. Also, if it is very dusty outside, it is a nice feature to have.

I have never heard of any car or truck not coming with a/c since 1970...Why on earth would anyone buy a vechile without a/c...Even if I was in Alaska I would get it to keep the windows from fogging and to keep the vechile a nice comfy temperature.

I have never owned a vehicle with a/c, starting with various VW's in the seventies, Datsun and Mazda pickups in the eighties, a 1986 F250 and now my present Sierra. I probably will never own a a/c equipped vehicle assuming I can buy a non-a/c vehicle fifteen years from now.

I don't have a problem with keeping my windows fog-free by just using the blower and on a hot summer day I just keep the windows down. Never felt the need for a/c and I certainly appreciate not having a/c components cluttering up my engine compartment. I certainly don't miss the expenses involved in maintaining an a/c system when it ages.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Plenty American cars have recirc. Heck - my 94 Corvette has it, My CTS has it and many others. It is sometimes difficult to figure out on some I give you that.

Your Corvette and CTS and others must have had a/c. On domestic vehicles, as a general rule, no a/c = no recirculate

General Motors at one time had a BI-LEVEL position and Ford at one time had a HI-LOW position...I used to use those positions all the time...They both took all that away somewhere late in the late 90's I think but not exactly sure...Its true you really do not need those positions with the automatic climate control but its still nice to have...I had the HI-LOW on my 88 Town Car even though it had automatic temperature control and it was nice to have the HI-LOW on certain days...The car seemed to keep a more accurite temerature on those [BI-LEVEL-HI-LOW] settings.

My '95 Ranger 2.3L XLT has no A/C and I didn't want it. Too much power loss and up here in Upstate NY there are about two days a year that the slider window and a cold Coke aren't enough. Got 5 mins from buying a new 2007 Ranger also with no A/C, but didn't like it as much as my old '95.

Anywhere else south of here - definitely A/C.
I have never heard of any car or truck not coming with a/c since 1970...Why on earth would anyone buy a vechile without a/c...Even if I was in Alaska I would get it to keep the windows from fogging and to keep the vechile a nice comfy temperature.

My '94 Ranger 2.3L XLT doesn't have AC either, and that was my Dad's idea. The truck also has the rear slider, and while it's not as comfortable as having A/C, I've been in worse conditions.

Our '75 Impala also had no A/C, just a set of vents on the dash with a slider to open an air intake to get some extra ventilation in the car at speed.

My Father-In-Law bought my wife a Mazda 323 with no AC and no power steering to go to college with...what a ninny...
09.gif

When I was a kid we had a 1964 Chevy Bel-Aire wagon with the 5-70 Ac system. It always worked as designed. Was a necessary feature when we would go on trips and my Dad decided he neede to smoke 2 or 3 cigars along the way.
45.gif

What is a 5-70 A/C system?...Do you mean the knee knocker A/C's under the dash?...My family had 65 Mercury Colony Park Wagon but that one had factory A/C...It worked perfectly also.

We have had factory A/C in all our cars since the 60's so I am surprised to see anyone these days without it...I did not think you can a buy a car without it unless you ordered it special without A/C...In Miami you cannot sell a car unless the A/C is blowing ice cold air...My brother tried selling his 89 Crown Victoria with a broken A/C and no one would even go near it until he fixed it...The first thing people ask you when they call about the car is how is the A/C...If its not working you get a fast hang up.

I had a 1994 LT1 Camaro with no A/C, no power and no power options. I bought it for one reason, to race it.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
What is a 5-70 A/C system?...Do you mean the knee knocker A/C's under the dash?...My family had 65 Mercury Colony Park Wagon but that one had factory A/C...It worked perfectly also.

We have had factory A/C in all our cars since the 60's so I am surprised to see anyone these days without it...I did not think you can a buy a car without it unless you ordered it special without A/C...In Miami you cannot sell a car unless the A/C is blowing ice cold air...My brother tried selling his 89 Crown Victoria with a broken A/C and no one would even go near it until he fixed it...The first thing people ask you when they call about the car is how is the A/C...If its not working you get a fast hang up.

I owned a 1986 Mazda B2000 without AC. For 11 years, I drove it year-round in Florida. Sold it to a guy who didn't seem to care it didn't have AC.

I will tell you though, that you change your habits when you drive without an AC as an option. You do not make trips in the summer after 11AM or before 4PM, unless you absolutely had to.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

I will tell you though, that you change your habits when you drive without an AC as an option. You do not make trips in the summer after 11AM or before 4PM, unless you absolutely had to.

Ain't that the truth...I sister drove a friends car back in August for about 30 miles [in traffic in the heat of the day with a broken a/c] and actually passed out seconds after opening up her front door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back