burnt dipsticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen oil burned on the dipstick at "crankcase" level but have seen it above there. When I have, I've taken it as a sign the oil went too long between changes, sometimes way too long. It might have been run low also, but I couldn't tell.

The burned on area made sense to me because the oil vapor would be there and could get burned on. I guess it could happen at the crankcase level but by then you'd have no oil left, only tar
frown.gif
Like a hot skillet, the thin oil gets cooked on pretty easily, while having a heavier coating of oil absorbs the heat, at least for a while.

Just my $.02. I'm curious what others have to say.

Brian

It's not a good sign.
It may have been low, or not inserted all the way.
First, make sure it is the correct one for the car - it reads full after you did a careful oil change.

But is this along the length, or the tip? The tip is worrisome. Along the length could be simply a bad seal at the top, and PCV gasses are collecting. It also could indicate excessive heat.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Is baked on oil deposits on a dipstick a way to tell if the car was run low on oil?

If so, why would low oil burn on the dipstick and not burn at the proper level?

thx

WHERE on the dipstick is the baked oil? I've seen some engines develop crusty carbony deposits high up on the dipstick because the dipstick tube is routed near an exhaust manifold.

IIRC it was burnt of from about the middle of the ok range on up to about the middle of the dipstick.

I used a wire wheel to clean it up to get better readings.

FWIW, it was my brother's wife's car she got new in 98. Her dad is a mechanic but she moved out around 03-04 and moved in with my brother. They claimed oil changes every 4k or so and when I got the car the oil was pretty dark but at the full mark. I doubt they added oil so I couldn't figure out how an oil burner would be at full or it could have started burning when I got it since I use upper revs sometimes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back