briggs and stratton compressor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a brute briggs and stratton 10 gallon air compressor and when looking to change the oil the manual states 5w50 or 85w140 synthetic oil. I can't contact them until jan. 4 because of the holidays. My question is this: What is the major differences between say an iso100 compressor oil (30weight) and the 85w140 synthetic oil? It appears that they want a higher viscosity oil used as the 5w50 and 85w140 appear to have similiar viscosities. I would prefer to use the 85w140.

I have seen a few other compressor manufacturers recommend 5w50 oils and some that recommend 5-10w30 oils. I want to stick with the higher viscosity oil if that is what is recommended. Anyone know why they would recommend these oils? I would think that the 85w140 would do pretty well considering this is a splash type lubrication system.

Thanks, Q.

We're talking oil for the sump of a small reciprocating air compressor? I've never heard of putting gear oil in such a sump. Motor oil yes.

Joel

I would definately give them a call. I agree, I've never heard of gear oil in a compressor and I can't think of any good reason why??

I think I am going to wait until monday and give them a call. I am having no luck finding info about this. I might use a 5-10w30 synthetic for the cold and switch to a 5w50 or 40 for the summer. I will post up what they have to say about it. Maybe a typo?

Q.

I've had the same compressor for about a year and half now. If it's a typo they should of caught it by now. I mistakingly bought PP 15w50 for mine and wasn't happy with all the metal flakes in the oil. Changed it for PP 5w20 and the compressor is much quieter but I can't comment on if there's any metal flakes. Mine doesn't get used but maybe 1-2 a month and that's only airing up tires or cleaning electronics.

I finally decided to use some extra GC 0w30 that I had in my compressor. It definately starts better and doesn't get as hot while running. I may change it out to a thicker oil in the hot summer months, but I doubt it needs it. I will be calling them tomorrow to find out all I can about the oil viscosities they recommend. I have put 10 hours on mine this past weekend and it is running great. There appears to be less foaming in the oil glass window too.

When I changed out the old oil there were alot of metal flakes present in the oil. I started it and let it run for 30 mins. before I changed it out. I may change it again at 100 hours before going to the 300 hour recommendation just to see if the flakes are still there.

I finally got a hold of briggs and stratton and they were absolutely no help at all. They told me I need to use a 5w50 synthetic and that is it. No idea about detergent or non detergent. Or what other viscosities to use. Just 5w50 synthetic. I will stick with my GC 0w30 and see if this thing has problems. How can you design an engine to use a specific oil and have no idea why?

thanks, Q.

I realize I'm sharp as a tack here.. So we are talking about an engine oil sump as opposed to a compressor sump?!??!?
21.gif
I don't know that I've ever seen a 5w50 engine oil. 5w40 yes, and that's probably what I'd use; 5w40 or 15w40 for the ENGINE. Compressor sump I'd use a 30wt variant.

Joel

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure. That is why I was trying to get some answers. This is an electric compressor with a 3hp briggs and stratton engine. It only calls for oil in the engine. Not sure about the compressor sump? It is a direct drive compressor with a 10 gallon tank that uses a splash type lubing system. My manual states 5w50 or 85w140 synthetic, but they said only 5w50 synthetic on the phone. I talked to three different people trying to get answers. When I asked why that specific oil they weren't sure, but that is what they recommend. When I asked if it mattered if it was a detergent oil they only replied that it need be 5w50 synthetic. I was alittle confused about the whole conversation.

Either Briggs, or us, are highly confused here. 5w50 is available, but rather rare, I HIGHLY doubt Briggs designed their compressor for that oil.

Do you have a pic of the compressor, or at least an online "representation"?

Just as a guess I would say 30 or 40 weight is fine, in the same way I can run my Jeep on anything from 5w30 to 20w50 and hardly see a difference.

Just got an e-mail reply from briggs and stratton;

"Thank you for the inquiry. Yes, the manual is correct. The oil called out was specified by the offshore affiliate that manufactures the unit. We do not recommend using anything other than what was called out in the manual."

Regards,
Dawne

Originally Posted By: QMartinez
This is an electric compressor with a 3hp briggs and stratton engine. It only calls for oil in the engine. Not sure about the compressor sump?

Per your .pdf, I think I gotcha now. This is just a basic small vertical tank portable electric compressor. You may want to refrain from using the term "engine" with it. There's no engine on this, just a compressor driven by an electric motor. Like said, a 30 or 40wt motor oil is all you need for this, or I believe there are off the shelf compressor oils available too. I'd just use a 30wt engine oil.

Joel

Originally Posted By: QMartinez
Just got an e-mail reply from briggs and stratton;

"Thank you for the inquiry. Yes, the manual is correct. The oil called out was specified by the offshore affiliate that manufactures the unit. We do not recommend using anything other than what was called out in the manual."

Regards,
Dawne

Ahh, so Briggs is simply importing Harbor Freight compressors and putting their pretty logo on it.
smirk2.gif
I'm sure something got lost in the Chinglish translation there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back