Chance of 0.5" to 1.0" of snow, kids out of school

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're looking at the 1st snow fall of the year. Our area is predicted "up to" 1.0" of snow (near Columbia on this map).

The kids are out of school, the Kroger grocery stores are out of bread & milk, the local newscast at 9pm had the first 10 minutes packed with the obligatory road salt pile report....

22149298_640X480.jpg

This is the dry snow, too.

Teaching our kids to stay home whenever possible, that's the new way to handle "inclement" weather.

Uggggh...

Back when I was a kid we walked 2 miles to school, up hill both ways, in sub zero weather.

lol.gif

That's the south. We have family in Alabama. They are pumped for the snow. lol

This is why I refuse to live in a location where my kids would have to be bussed. It is bussing and the severe requirement on transportation that drives school closings, IMO. Where kids can walk, the schools stay open more, IMO.

1" and closed? That is wasteful.

Ok im gonna rant and oh boy you guys better sit down and buckle up cuz if anyone here has one of my rants this is gonna top it all...

This is the dumbest most ignorant pile of poo i have ever heard of, .5-1.0 inch of snow, are you f'in kidding me, i have driven walked and played in snow to and from school, work heck to go hang out with friends in three feet of snow, three feet, im 5'10'' not very tall. People are stocking up on things, WOW people have really become stupid, and i dont mean stupid i mean like lets give em a sign put them in helmets and tell them to be careful with some floaty arm bands and life jackets with some inner tube waist bands. Holy cow kids staying home from school cuz of that, parents freaking out cuz of that. How about this, is every one reading, Hey i didnt say STOP reading.... GROW A SET AND QUIT BEING A BUNCH OF NO GUTS ALL SAFE DUMB AND STUPID GROUP OF PEOPLE!!!!

Sorry.. Poster i agree this is stupid that the end of the world comes with an inch of snow. We just had a blizzard last night, wind still blowing and standing air temp is zero wind chill is much colder, winds are 10-30 mph at gusts. I feed and take care of six horses and three dogs in this weather, well the dogs get to be inside more. So to all you pansies out there who think this is something that is too keep kids from school and batten down the hatches for...

33.gif
33.gif

spankme2.gif
mad.gif

Last edited:
Oh, I agree! A year or two they called off school for the THREAT of snow. No snow. I gave the admin an ear full of my opinion.

Since this is dry snow, it's not in the way. I can see why they call off when icy road conditions occur as no one wants a bus to slide off the side of a hill with their kid in it. But THIS time, it's really a flippin' joke.

I live in a city of 1M people. Almost every kid is bussed to school. Whether it's 1" or 6" of snow the kids get to school. It's only when the weather's ' -30 to -40C and a water main breaks that the kids stay home.

We have the exact same school busses here that you'd see in southern california. Maybe it suits the school staff to say home with 1/2" of snow on the ground. Or maybe it's just what you're used to.

For me a 4-6" snowfall overnight just means an extra 15 - 20 minutes on the commute in late January or february. However, the first 1" snowfall in autumn adds an extra 20-30 minutes to my commute because nobody's in snow-driving mode yet.

I lived in Maine for 10 years in the 60s and 70s back when a new ice age was just around the corner. Any snow up to 10 inches was considered a dusting.

I'm generally amazed at the school closings around here. I'll drive to work and think, closed for what? Don't know about Tennessee but in Ohio they can be closed for weather on 5 days and I think they look for reasons to use all 5.

In Calgary, school would be closed for months if they closed for snow?

John

Our school superintendent was from New Hampshire, so NJ snow was nothing. We rarely were closed. I remember going to school with 8"'s of fresh snow on the ground.

It seemed as though things changed after a kid was killed by a bus that slid into him because it could not stop in the ice/snow. From then on, schools seemed more likely to close.

Try Wyoming. My kids walked to school in a blizzard today. No joke. Luckily we only live two houses down from the school, and I could see them all the way. Later on in the day the visibility went to zero and I had to pick them up.

My parents were both in public education. They have a lot to deal with when it comes to inclement weather. Not the least of which is parents (if you can call them that) who will send little Billy off to school in shorts and a t-shirt when it's snowing and 20 degrees, especially at the start of fall/winter when people aren't prepared.
33.gif

I wish I got paid days off everytime a couple inches of snow fell, like the teachers do.

Ahhhh, some of the snow days we had when I was a teenager. School would close, usually for a REAL snowstorm, the kind I`d really try to avoid driving through today. But there were some snow closures where I remember riding my bicycle to meet up with friends and enjoy our surprise day off. And I didn`t even have winter tires on that bike!

I went to high school in Nova Scotia and don't recall too many "snow days". Pretty much every day was a snow day in winter.

But, yeah, down here in Georgia, people really aren't prepared to deal with snow. About 6 years ago in Feb we got about 2 inches overnight. It was great. The roads were a little dicey but passable. Didn't bother me a bit but it kept over half of the office out until most of the snow melted from the roads.

I remember one day we went to school and it was something like -45 with the windchill. They made us play outside at recess.

They actually dropped the school close temperature from -40 to -42 when I was in high school. Our buses wouldn't run if there was freezing rain, but it was driver's discretion.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I live in a city of 1M people. Almost every kid is bussed to school. Whether it's 1" or 6" of snow the kids get to school. It's only when the weather's ' -30 to -40C and a water main breaks that the kids stay home.

We have the exact same school busses here that you'd see in southern california. Maybe it suits the school staff to say home with 1/2" of snow on the ground. Or maybe it's just what you're used to.

For me a 4-6" snowfall overnight just means an extra 15 - 20 minutes on the commute in late January or february. However, the first 1" snowfall in autumn adds an extra 20-30 minutes to my commute because nobody's in snow-driving mode yet.

how do they keep water mains buried in the ground from freezing up there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back