Oil recommendations for a daily driven 99 Miata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody! New guy from Jersey. I’ve been back and forth over the oil argument for years and decided to see what everyone here recommends, since this is probably the most knowledgeable place around for such info.

I’ll be honest, I have no idea how to decipher the lab tests aside from a basic idea, so the super technical things may go right over my head, but I’m happy to learn.

So here’s the question. What kind of oil can you guys recommend for me? I’ve been using Amsoil up until I got this car, which I love, but I was thinking about going cheaper for this car since it’s my daily and isn’t the car I spend the majority of my money on. If Amsoil were closer to shelf synthetic prices I’d gladly stick with it. And secondly, what kind of change interval would you recommend? I’ve always been a 3 month/3k mile guy only because I consider it cheap insurance, but let me know what you think.

My car:
-99 Miata 1.8L, 5sp
-Don’t have an owner’s manual but Mazda recommends 10w/30. I’ve heard of many owners switching to 5w/30 because it makes the lifters less noisy, they’re known to be somewhat loud on these cars, not a defect, just a quirk. I’d probably do the same.
-I live in central NJ, blazing summers and frigid winters, temp can range anywhere from 0-100*F, right now it’s about 20*F
-I drive fairly spirited. I’m a musclecar guy so I have been known to beat on cars now and then.
-I usually average about 8-10k miles a year. I work close to home which is a city drive, a bit of stop & go. I do take highway trips once in a while, usually within 100 miles or so of home.
-Car has no known problems. Doesn’t leak or burn anything, no lifter noise as of yet.

As far as oils go I’m open minded. I just want something that will help the car run as smooth as possible and make the motor last as long as possible. I’d prefer synthetic but as I said I’m open minded. I love Amsoil to death but there’s only 1 place that carries it near me and it’s $8+ a quart…a little pricey for my blood.

Thanks in advance!!

Nice to see another Miata owner around these parts. :)
I'm partial to Amsoil 10W30 myself and use it in both my Miatas (a 91 and a Mazdaspeed) down here in Texas (coldest I've had to drive down here is about 27 degrees and the hottest I've driven in has been about 110 degrees.)
Currently doing 10K mile OCIs on the MSM, about to stretch it to 12K.

On the cheap, I would run Mobil 1 in the following weights:
5W30
0W30

Both of those weights would be fine for year round use, and you can get both in 4 quart jugs from Wal-Mart for about $25 bucks.
The 0W30 isn't billed as an extended drain oil, but seems to hold up really well using an extended OCI int he Miata application.
If you can spare a little more per quart, I would opt for the Mobil 1 0W40.

The 0W40 is really top notch stuff and gets my personal vote for year round use, and you could very well get well over 10,000 miles per OCI with it.
Just run a good quality filter.
Mobil, Amsoil, Wix, and Napa Gold are all pretty good filters.

cheetahdriver on this website and Miata.net has posted two extended OCI UOAs using Mobil 1 0W30 and 0W40 that you can review.

Last edited:
Easy answer: Pick any name brand 5W-30 and keep doing the 3/3 routine.

Second answer: Pick any name brand synthetic 5W-30 and move to 6 months, 6k miles.

Both options will give you plenty of safety margin and will minimize wear in practice as much as can be reasonably done.

I like to go for a good dino oil (QS, PYB, Formula Shell, Castrol GTX, Valvoline etc.) changed often (never more than 5000km or 3000 miles and usually less) most of the year, and a synthetic for the coldest (Late Dec- early March) stretch. Nothing special order or really expensive, I use PP, Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec (especially if its GC) if they can be had for a good deal on sale. Canadian Tire's Formula 1 Synth (store-branded Formula Shell synth) is my usual choice, decent price comparatively at regular price and some good deals on sale. Redline, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 EP, most types of Amsoil etc are too expensive and offer no benefit for my application. My only reason to ever use synthetic anymore is for the cold starts when I'm away from home and cant plug in the block heater.

Bear in mind that my driving is 90 percent city, lots of short trips and stop and go, and tons of idling. Anywhere from November to May I idle the car anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half just using it as a furnace for breaks at work. It does see some highway pretty much every week and a good 3 hour each way trip every 2-3mos to head up north. I don't really pay attention to mileage, just change every 2-3 months. An hour meter would really be better for my application but, I don't have one. I also enjoy changing my oil so I don't see any reason to change MY oil change habits.

It sounds like your driving habits are much like mine, I'm guessing without all the idling though. I think my routine would suit your situation too.

These are very short intervals but its the severe service, short city driving trips and idling wear the oil out and dilute with fuel very fast.

Last edited:
Depending on your mileage, I would run 6 months, 6K with a decent 10w30 synthetic. Actually, for the price, Id go with Mobil 1.

0 degrees F isnt all that cold, and M1 10w30 would easily flow at those temps better than any conventional 5w30 dino.

OR, you could run either Amsoil SSO 0W30 or 10w30, and go the distance for the whole year. It would be less than running Mobil 1, even if you did a filter change at 6 months with top up. Either would handle that with ease.

Haha, when you said "musclecar guy" I missread, and thought you said "I'm a muscular guy, and tend to beat up on my cars" that just sounded too funny not to repost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Use the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 6 mo / 7500 miles if you want to save your money

Thats a great choice, but wouldnt 7500 miles be a bit of a stretch for it? Maybe not, I'm not an expert on it, although I've used its Kendall brother with great results.

nighthawk - Get a 5-30, anybody's.
If it is a dino, your oil changes should be more frequent than with a full synthetic. Figure about 4-5k on dino, and 5-8 on full synth.

Its a DD and you don't want crawl under it do do oil & filter changes 4 times a year: Amsoil SSO 0W-30.
Use it for a year (summer & winter > 0W) and drive as much as you are used to.
Much of it with the top down.. right?
No need to worrie about an extra month or 2 if you just don't feel like changing oil.

Why Amsoil SSO 0W-30 for a yearly OCI ?

I'm using M1 10W30 in '04 S2000 and do 1 year OCI, actually it is 13 months since last oil change and I may change it out today if I feel energized to do it, or I may do it next month or the month after. I just did the blot check, the oil is still in good shape.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why Amsoil SSO 0W-30 for a yearly OCI ?

Why not?
The OP is in NJ, it gets cold.
The Miata needs to start no matter what (DD) so IMO a 0W is best. (1)
The OP does up to 10k miles a year, maybe a little more if he just doesn't want to change oil.
10K on one OCI "calls for" a true syn, no? (1)
1+1 = Amsoil
48.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I'm using M1 10W30 in '04 S2000 and do 1 year OCI

How many miles?
M1 or M1-EP?
You're in SoCal so... a 10W is probably allright.
Allthough, oil can't be thin enough when the engine is cold.
28.gif

Good stuff everybody!! Thanks for all the replies!!

I may have to take another look at the Amsoil 0W. I do love the stuff. But I don't know why, maybe just because I'm a little old fashioned, I have a hard time bringing myself to trust an oil for a whole year, even Amsoil. I'm sure it holds up just fine, the idea just sits uneasy with me, LOL! I have to try to adjust.

For those that go with a similar OCI what do you typically do? Just check the level every few thousand? Do you change filters and top off or just keep the 1 filter all year?

Also, and I know this is probably a stupid question, especially since i use it, but I'm acronym inept, what's the SSO stand for?

Last edited:
If you can go to your auto parts store and look for Kendall "synthetic" oil in the 5W-30 weight you should be fine. Here at my local PEP BOYS Kendall cost much lower that my usual Mobil 1 by at least two bucks less. I think the taged price is $4.99/quart. Keep your OCI's to 3K if you prefer but usually synthetic can go an easy 5K. Personally I wouldn't go any thing farther than 6K myself even if it was a synthetic unless the label says it's guaranteed to go the distance.

In addition make sure your oil filter will go the distance too. It's just as important as the oil.

Durango

I use regular M1 not M1-EP in my S2000 and 1 OEM filter for the whole year, I just check the oil level every few months to make sure it was above the add line, also smell the oil on dipstick to be sure no gasoline odor.

I drove about 6k miles a year in the S2000, many short trips less than 3-4 miles and some highway drives more than 10-15 miles.

Welcome! I have a '94 and must say... you have fine taste in vehicles! I've tried almost everything (I too have had issues with the noisy HLA's) and have recently been very pleased with Rotella (Now T6) 5w-40. Used that for about 4k and it must have cleaned out a portion of the HLA's. Went to Mobil 1 50/50 mix of 5w-30 & 5w-20 just to thin it down some.

I was very surprised and pleased that I get zero HLA issues and my car feels like I added 5-10Hp. So I'm slowly becoming a 5w-20 convert!

Lots of good advice here...and I would say if it makes you feel better... just use the Mobil or any of the other suggestions.

Also using a Pure One oil filter in the "millenia" size for extra capacity. Miata's a pretty easy on oil... but think about going with a 5w-30 and maybe a 5w-20. NJ does not get that warm does it?

Kendall oil might be a great bargain too. Good luck!

Flush with Motul or AMsoil ENgine flush then right to Redline 5W30. I would change it every 6 months no matter the milage unless you get into bypass filtration then it is a nother story all together.....

Ok,,this thread is to much for a 99 Miata. So, M1 10/30 would work, its 22 bucks at wlmart for a 5qt jug, and 9 bucks or so for the best extended mileage filter. Whats wrong with that? I run anywhere from 1000 to 2000 pounds of freight a day in an old dodge 318 v8 van and it does fine at 200,000 miles on the odometer. So if it will do that, then ur miata would do fine on M1...dont skimp on oil.............

+1 on the "0w-" There has been discussion ad-nausium on this subject on Miata.net in the lubricants section. Also here in central Pa at the local Miata club. The general consensus (if there is one!) is Mobil-1 0W-30 with either a M1 or Wix-made filter. The Miata needs a filter with a good anti-drainback valve as the filter is horizontal. I have noticed much less startup valve clatter (actually lifters) since I switched to the 0W-30. As far as the Amsoil goes the 0W-30 should work fine and the Amsoil filters are, I believe Wix made. I'd watch for thickening out-of-viscosity with any extended OCI, but especially with the Amsoil. I use the twice-a-year or 5K formula, could go annual, but my '04LS 6-speed is still under the factory extended warranty. BTW, if you have a manual, try the Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid, worked very well for me, better than the Redline MT-90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back