Polaris 2W-50 ATV oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a typo. The new Polaris ATV oil recommendation is their 2W-50 synthetic oil. If I'm not mistaken, that's the widest viscosity range of any oil yet? Never heard of such an animal.

Anybody have an idea who could be making this stuff for them?

Have you tried to buy this from a Polaris dealer?

I am no expert on Polaris oil but I was told by someone who says the Polaris dealer told him this.

polaris recently changed recommended oil from 0w-40 to PS4 plus a 0w-50.

Last edited:
Have not tried to buy it, as mine calls for 0W-40. All the guys with 2009's are saying that the manual specifically states "2W-50".

Either way, that's quite a viscosity range. I would be interested in knowing who makes that oil?

Originally Posted By: MinivanMauler
That HAS to be a typo.

The SAE low-temperature grades range from 0W-25W in multiples of 5. Polaris doesn't get to "invent" new grades.

http://www.infineum.com/information/viscosity.html

Yea, I don't know how that could come up with their own special grade of oil

However, they need to hire a new proof reader, as I just looked at the Polaris manual for at 2009 XP. If it's a typo, it was a typo 7 times in the manual that I counted.
grin2.gif

Just for the heck of it I had someone call the local Polaris dealer parts dept and ask for a 2W-50 oil. The guy had no idea what that was. All he would tell us over the phone is that he had all Polaris branded oils in stock and to stop in.

Off course that assumes the person who answered the phone was aware what is in the manuals.

Polaris has always made it difficult for the consumer to know what lubes to use in their equipment because they only list their product names in the manuals and let you figure out what lubes are similar. Friend is in the PS business and he tells me that at least 75% of the people walking in the door insist on oem branded oils because its written in the manual. So its works in selling their oils. They don't mind using WM oils in thier $50g trucks but not in thier $10g UTV or ATV.

I read your post this morning, and stopped at my dealer on the way home tonight. I asked him what is the recommended oil for my ATV... he said PS-4. I asked him what "weight" is that oil. He looked it up in the manual, and on the Polaris service site... and said 2W-50.
crackmeup2.gif

Anyhow, I was just curious if anybody knew who supplies Polaris with their oil. I guess Polaris "can" invent their own weight oil.
LOL.gif

Okay, so they invented their own oil weight.

Is this only a recommendation, or is it required? If it's required, then this brings up a rather serious Magnuson-Moss issue.

The dealership still is required by law to honor their own warranty no matter what product is used in their applications as long as it meets or exceeds the oil spec requirements.

Unfortunately there are many dealerships that play this game of telling customers they ‘may possibly’ have warranty denied for using products other than what they themselves recommend

I am going with a typo also. The last (3) bikes that I had, specified both 40 and 50 weight oils. All shared sumps. Quite a temperature range. I can see this for seasonal changes.

I have a Polaris ATV and have owned Polaris motorcycles (Victory), both air and oil-cooled. The bike was specified for 20w-40 weight semi-blend. The dealer was the only place, that you could find the 20w-40. 50 weight oil was also allowed.

I brought Amsoil 20w-50 synthetic motorcycle specific oil into the dealer, and they put it in the bike at the 500 mile run-in oil change for me, obviously during the warranty period, without any hassle what so ever.

The bike also used "synthetic" RTS 5w-40 and Mobil-1 20w-50 with no problems. A lot of Victory owners also used syntheitc Mobil-1 15w-50 with excellent results.

I currently use synthetic 10w-40 or 15w-50, for a British bike. I could use 20w-50 synthetic, if I wanted.

Most American 50 weight motorcycle and atv specific oils are 20w-50. It is common.

Most manuals are close to a joke, anyway. I use it as a guideline only. Read enough of them, and you have an idea, what I am talking about.

Do you think the dealer, is going do a analysis on the oil? Not all dealers are created equal. I am lucky to have a reasonable one.

I would use a synthetic 40 or 50 weight, according to the weather, or keep using what works for you. Change the oil at the recommended oci, or do an oil analysis, too be sure.

Last edited:
Yep, couldn't find a spec in the 850 manual. In my 500 manual, it specs to API-SH. The AMSOIL 0W-40 Powersports meets API-SL/CF specs, so I'm more than covered on that one. If I get an XP 850, I will use the AMSOIL PS in that too.

I just picked up a few quads, both 2009's a sp500 for the mrs and a 850xp for myself. I was thinking the same thing 0w40 amsoil, or a 0w50 if it exists. I wouldn't go thicker on the bottom though with the oil viscosity, no idea what the valvetrain looks like on these 850's but there have been many a 425 and 500cc four stroke with a flattened cam due to 5w30 and 10w30 oils being used.

Last edited:
Being that I recently purchased a Polaris 550X2, the manual calls for this PS4 2w-50 stuff. It's only available at the dealer, and that's not really a problem. Don't really care about the cost either. But......can anybody tell me some actual facts about this oil??
Questions:
1. Is it a true synthetic and if so, what is the base derived from?
2. Is it an actual 2w-50 weight, and if so, why the strange 2w?
3.Who really makes this oil for Polaris?
4. Staying with say....a 5w-50 weight ATV/Motorcycle oil, what is considered the top of the line, synthetic PAO base oil? Cost is no issue.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Don't bother with the Polaris oils. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck is a fantastic ATV oil with plenty of ZDDP for camshaft life. Plus it's robust nature holds up well to shared gearboxes.

Thousands of stellar UOA's can't be wrong:)

Seriously, it's one of the best oils mankind has ever produced. It's commonly available and will hold up very well in powersports use.

Maybe this will help, MSDS for polaris oils
http://msds.polarisindustries.com/

The PS4 Synthetic looks like a 40weight with 14.5cst at 100c
Pour point of -40c Listed as a Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic base oil

They make a PS4 0w50 as well, with a 19.8cft at 100c
Pour point is only -30c though?

Last edited:
Geesh! They seem to want to be really evasive about just exactly what this oil is all about. I can't tell from reading that stuff if it's PAO based or a group III. Thanks for posting it though.
I wonder if I should go with Amsoil 0w-40 or some other high end synthetic ATV/Motorcycle oil? Any ideas out there?

Hey! I just went onto Red Line's oil site and noticed they sell an ester based 5w50 synthetic oil!! For some reason I din't even think of them until now. I'll just get that oil from now on since Polaris makes it so difficult to find out anything about thier own products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back