Inquiry for 1995 Chevy 350 TBI with 218K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read everything I can on BITOG but I finally decided to post my own question anyway, as no prior thread seems to hit on my exact situation.... so here it is.

I have a 1995 GMC Sierra K1500 (4x4) pickup with 218K miles (bought with 45K). As noted, the motor is the good old Chevy 350 TBI (pre-Vortec), with the 4,000 rpm redline. An oldie, but a goodie.

I've been running M1 5w30 and Wix/Napa/Delco filters for most of that time, after starting with Penzoil dino and then a few jugs of Amsoil (ASL) 5w30.

My OCI have been between 6K to 8K with 80% freeway miles (75 miles a day round trip to work).

That was in Atlanta. Now I'm in west Los Angeles, where I don't need low-temp flow so much, and I don't need extreme heat protection, but I do need to pass very strict emissions. Also, my current mileage pattern is down a lot, with a 24 mile daily round trip, mostly stop-and go, however.

My consumption has been around 2.5~3 qts per OCI, but I really don't track it carefully. I think it's been using a little more lately than in years past, but it's no burner. Start ups are smoke free, and my only trouble emissions number is my NOx level, the rest are as-new.

I'm very interested in using a modified-stock (aka "synthetic") HDEO, like the new Rotella T6 5w40 if it's appropriate for my motor, needs, and so forth.

If not, I won't fight it, and will happily run M1 (maybe the SUV & Truck variant; good add package?) or PP in whatever weight is best. GM says 5w30 but in the LA climate I'm thinking my "senior" motor wouldn't mind running with a little more viscosity.

Thanks in advance guys (and gals); I'm having a huge blast learning from this forum!

Last edited:
If you like M1 products, try the M1 10W-30 High-Mileage oil - might be just what you are looking for.

I did forget to mention: I did recently pass CARB emissions, so I'm good for two years *and* I haven't spent any money on getting the NOx numbers down, so I don't want to overstate my concern there. But I definitely don't want to damage my cat, which was a new part just a couple of years back, nor do I want to make LA air any worse than it is. I want my pickup to be as green as a 15 year old 12mpg motor can be!

good luck! Is it really consumption, or are there any leaks that you notice? If comsumption, then you may want to try to shift to an API SM 10w-30 HM oil (valvoline HM synthetic) otherwise the M1 10w-30 HM.

I am assuming that the M1 10w-30 HM is NOT SM... which I thought to be the case. If it IS SM, then M1 all the way!

This is EXACTLY like my '94 350 Sub (now w/210K on the clock)-I run 20W50 in it due to worn-out cam bearings to keep up the hot oil pressure (stop lifter chatter), it uses 1 qt. every 1500 miles or so, ZERO blowby, very little seepage from rear main & valve covers. I personally wouldn't use diesel rated oil in it-you'll contaminate the catalytic converter. I use whatever cheap stuff I can get, like PepBoys Pro-Line, and usually use 1 bottle of STP Oil Treatment or generic W-M equivalent, otherwise my oil pressure will drop below 15 PSI in hot weather (85F or above). Other than the leaky valve seals, soft cams, & plastic cam timing gear, the SB Chevy is a hard motor to kill.

@JHZR2-
Now that you mention it, I do have a/some minor drips. When I park I occasionally leave a spot or two of UO (used oil). When I'm under the truck, it is a little 'oil wet', too, so clearly the motor's not drum tight anymore. (The top end is bone dry though, so my valve covers and all are still good). I never thought about how much all those drips I don't see (that are are left on the road) add up too, so maybe my consumption isn't blow-by, etc, as much as I thought. The motor still makes as-new power and is 'quiet' as it can be.

@Bullwinkle,
My oil press is great, it goes right to 40 or 45 when cold, then never falls below 22 or so at warm idle, and by 1200-1500 rpm warm its 50+, so I'm lucky there.

M1 for most of it's life (and WIX cans) seems to have been a good mix so far. When I get a little money I'll get it looked over and see if my guy can find where my leaks are. Even if I can't afford to fix'em, it'd be nice to know what's going on.

M1 10w30HM is SL(he passed test good for two years now) and would be a good choice or the new RTS T6 5w40.

You are using quite a bit of oil during your OCI in my opinion for a small block Chevy. It's either going into the exhaust or onto the ground-there's no other way around it. Either way, at your mileage and considering the vintage of that engine, there's nothing wrong with running a HDEO(diesel) oil to get the most life out of it. If that engine were mine, it would already have had Shell Rotella syn 5W40 in it, but considering you are in Socal, I'd probably run Rotella, Delo or Mobil 1800 15W40 instead.

Thanks for the tips and comments, fellas. I think I'll probably fill with M1 HM 5w30 to keep the variables down (that'll be just change from standard M1 to HM, no viscocity change).

MC Blend is on sale now w/ filter, so I'm tempted to fill with that and do a shortish OCI so I can get my first UOA.

So many choices!

Originally Posted By: AceyMan
@JHZR2-
Now that you mention it, I do have a/some minor drips. When I park I occasionally leave a spot or two of UO (used oil). When I'm under the truck, it is a little 'oil wet', too, so clearly the motor's not drum tight anymore. (The top end is bone dry though, so my valve covers and all are still good). I never thought about how much all those drips I don't see (that are are left on the road) add up too, so maybe my consumption isn't blow-by, etc, as much as I thought. The motor still makes as-new power and is 'quiet' as it can be.

@Bullwinkle,
My oil press is great, it goes right to 40 or 45 when cold, then never falls below 22 or so at warm idle, and by 1200-1500 rpm warm its 50+, so I'm lucky there.

M1 for most of it's life (and WIX cans) seems to have been a good mix so far. When I get a little money I'll get it looked over and see if my guy can find where my leaks are. Even if I can't afford to fix'em, it'd be nice to know what's going on.

My 95 with a 305 with but 60k less miles dripped oil also. I was running around 1 qt every 3 to 4 thousand miles.

Oh yeah I just remembered. I had an exhaust leak start in the joint between the manifold and the downpipe. I figure the flange gasket was gone or starting to go. By the way the only reason I found this leak was because I was filling the washer fluid while it was still below freezing. So the vapors of the exhaust gases turned white. Other than that I had no idea it was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back