STP , how much water removed? Company answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked STP how much water a bottle of STP gas treatment would remove from a tank of gas you knoww like 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup etc.
their answer:
Thank you for contacting us about your STP Gas Treatment. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

I apologize that we do not have that information to give out. I did check with our research department and there is not a percentage or a amount to provide you with. There are many variables that can factor in to this. The product is designed to help remove condensation that can occur in gas tanks due to temperature and humidity changes.
Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sounds like a good answere to me. There are no products that will remove cups of H2O from a tank, condensation is much different

I've used this years ago in Marine applications, and it worked very well. I see they made a new one for E-10 gas as well. Here is some info, this actually mixes in with the water and gas allowing it to pass thru the fuel system.

MDR Gasoline Water Zorb absorbs water in gas tanks and allows fuel contaminated with water to burn through the engine, eliminating the need to drain the tank.
Gasoline WATER ZORB is not for Ethanol gasoline, use new E-Zorb for E-10 gas.

Water can accumulate in fuel tanks by condensation, contaminated fuel, or leaky filler cap gasket. Also, reformulated gas (RFG) has been known to attract water and other contaminants.

Gasoline Water Zorb disperses and emulsifies water right into the fuel, allowing it to pass through filters and safely burn away with the fuel. Water Zorb can be used as preventative maintenance.

One oz. treats 18 gallons of gas; for larger volumes of water, Water Zorb will totally emulsify its own volume of water.

OK. Why is the 10% alcohol in the gas not absorbing the suspected water in the gas tank? What good is a minor pittance more of alcohol?

More from STP
But still not an answer

Gas Treatment is intended to be used in every tank. As such, the product is designed to emulsify the amount of water that would be found in typical gas tanks which experience humid conditions. I don't have exact amounts since the testing is done at the laboratory bench in smaller amounts than a tank of gas and I haven't back calculated to the tank size. There are also other factors which complicate the answer such as how much ethanol is in the gasoline, what temperature it is outside, etc. For example, in gasolines which contain ethanol, ethanol absorbs water from the air then separates from the gasoline. When this happens there is a gasoline layer in the tank sitting on top of an ethanol/water layer. The ingredient in STP(R) Gas Treatment can help these layers to remix while other treatments like Heet, which is alcohol based, just add to the alcohol layer.

DO NOT USE GAS DRYER IF YOU USE E10 GAS!!!

Gas dryer is alcohol, plain and simple. Some are methanol, some are isopropyl. Ethanol works too but not as well; however, most people run it at 10%. Alcohol absorbs water and then mixes with the fuel, allowing it to burn through your engine.

Adding a bottle of STP, or any other brand of gas dryer, to a tank of ethanol gas, is even less useful than slick 50. I can't believe they're even ALLOWED to sell this garbage in states that require 10% ethanol...
smirk2.gif

And...if you really do have 100% gasoline with some water in it, get a bottle of 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol instead of fuel dryer. Same thing, except it cost about $1/16oz vs $2/12oz...

Even in the days of pre-E10 I couldn't understand how adding an 8-oz bottle of methanol would help a tank contaminated with water. The alcohol not only mixes with water, but it also mixes with gasoline. It's not as though the alcohol seeks out the water and ignores the gasoline. For a 10-gal tank contaminated with a few ounces of water, an 8-oz bottle of alcohol would leave the water with only a 1% concentration of alcohol -- not nearly rich enough to burn, and would remain a problem for the fuel system. I consider gas dryer to be useless. Am I missing something here? Anybody have graphs?

For all the problems I've had in the past with water in the fuel system, the only solution was to drain the fuel system, dry out the tank, flush the lines, and put everything back together.

I had a Gilson 16 hp tractor that didn't run too well. One day when I was servicing various things I was looking through the gas cap and could see a pool of water at the bottom. No problem, a little methanol should take care of that. I kept pouring and pouring and the puddle was still there. I got fed up and drained the fuel from the tank and float into a glass salsa jar. 12 oz gasoline, 8 oz of water. I poured the gas back in. The tractor ran much better.

Enough sloshing and vibration can get some alcohol laden fuel in contact with the water where it combines. Unfortunately not much water contaminated alcohol can stay in the gasoline solution so it takes a lot of alcohol to get rid of a small amount of water. Alcohol should be fine for condensate but nowhere near enough for even a pint of water.

If anything E10 would only whittle away at a pool of water at the bottom of a gas tank and only if it hadn't already picked up its max load of water.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
For a 10-gal tank contaminated with a few ounces of water, an 8-oz bottle of alcohol would leave the water with only a 1% concentration of alcohol -- not nearly rich enough to burn, and would remain a problem for the fuel system. I consider gas dryer to be useless. Am I missing something here? Anybody have graphs?

What happens is that Alcohol is miscible in both water and gasoline, so that it will increase the "fuel humidity".

Any water in the fuel gets converted into steam and is exhausted during engine operation.

Now how relavent this is in the case of E10, I don't know. I would expect that fuel line freezing would be fairly rare in any case, since water with alcohol has a much lower freezing point.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Is e 10 the same as gas with ethanol?
In my area the gas is sold with 10% ethanol is that E10?

Yep.

STP water remover is not alcohol based. Many of the others are. If the water remover that you choose is methanol based and you add it to E10 gas (which is about 50% of the gas sold) then it will really not do anything. The Isopropyl alcohol based water removers do help a bit because as you move to larger alcohols they tend to be more nonpolar and will go into gasoline. There are a couple of water removers out there that work without alcohol and they do it by emulsifying the water with detergent. Ideally it is a detergent that will also clean the fuel injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back