Non Dexcool Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying to find a Long Life Coolant that is not Dexcool related for my GF's 2002 Cavalier w/2.2OHV. All different Ones have me confused. Could someone point me in the right direction to a long life replacement coolant that does not contain 2-EHA?

PEAK Global Lifetime does not contain 2-EHA and it's phosphate-free and silicate-free so that it can be used in almost any coolant system.

According to Peak technician, Peak Professional Lifetime has the same formula as PEAK Global Lifetime.

Last edited:
I like Peak just because Danika Patrick sells it. Remember, when you peak; you win!

banana2.gif
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
So is this the Peak Global that is sold at WalMart/Kmart???

No I don't think Walmart sells Peak Global. Walmart, like most places, sells Peak extended life and Prestone extended life, both of which are believed to be dexcool. Also Peak long life that other stores carry is most likely dexcool. If you want the non-dexcool formula, you have to get Peak Global, Professional or Final Charge.

Cavaliers aren't known to have problems with Dexcool. They have a pressurized reservoir and compatible gaskets.

Peak Global is available at most K-Marts and Tractor Supply but only in the 50/50 version. Peak Professional (apparently the same thing as Global) can still be found at some Pepboys in the full strength version but at $21.99 they can keep it.
If Peak would make their full strength Global available and sell it for about $12 or 13 a gallon they'd sell a ton but for some reason they won't. Is 2-EHA much cheaper than whatever is used in Global?

My local Napa store ordered the Peak Global full strength for me about 4 months ago. Had to take a full case for about $11.50 a gal out the door. Check with you Napa dealer and see if they can still order it for you.

Last edited:
The Kmart near me has a slot for Peak Global concentrate. I think it is regularly marked at about $14. They didn't have any concentrate stocked on the shelf just pre-mix but they recently had a sale on PGL concentrate. I think the price was around $10.

My brother bought a gallon of PGL concentrate. I'm not sure where he got it but I assume Napa.

I have never heard of it.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Hey Jason, Why not go with John Deere Cool Gard II? Jim

Zerex G-05, Motorcraft Premium Gold (also G-05), Mopar G-05 (dyed red instead of gold, but same as the Zerex and Motorcraft brands), Zerex Asian Vehicle (phosphated HOAT), Peak Global Lifetime.... just to name a few.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Peak Professional (apparently the same thing as Global) can still be found at some Pepboys in the full strength version but at $21.99 they can keep it.

Pep Boys is REALLY starting to overtorque my bolts- even more than they always did. They've moved TONS of stuff behind the counter so you can't browse it (stuff like all the auxiliary cooling equipment), they've added aisles and aisles of useless cr*p like scooters and neon/led lighting...

and worst of all:

They've stopped carrying all Peak and Zerex coolants leaving only P*sstone and their own house brand of all-makes all-models.... which conveniently doesn't say what it is. Its made by OWI (Peak parent company) so it may be good stuff. Or not.

CarQuest still has a full selection so they get my business now.

Yeah Pep Boys coolant selection is only good if you want Peak Global, Professional or Final charge, but not at their prices. Pep Boys does have a good selection of oil brands though. Except for their prices on P1 oil filters they are pricey though.

Around where I am, Napa is your best bet for coolant. They carry the entire Zerex line.

Checked a couple of Napa's today. They carry full strength Zerex G-05 at reasonable ($10-12) prices. If I owned a Ford, Chrysler or other vehicle that calls for G-05, it would be a no brainer choice, as it also seems more readily available.

Now as for the Peak Global, no dice in any form at the local Napa's. Walgreens has the premix for ~ $10.

As for either of the above at the major parts store like AZ, AAP or O'R, no dice there either. Only the universals, and AZ and AAP have traditional green.

Haven't checked PB, but I'd buy OEM before paying regular ~$22 for Peak PL. Now if you got the now expired rebate BOGO at ~$9.99 on PPL that's a different story.

Though I won't buy premix, I've only seen Zerex Asian in pictures here.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back