What's the difference between tranny fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many different kinds of transmission fluid out there, I was just wondering what the difference is between them. Just with Fords, you got Mercon, Mercon V, and Mercon SP. GM and Crysler have their own as well. What is the difference between these fluids?

Do they vary in quality, viscosity, maybe add packs? I know it is important to use the correct fluid, but what makes them different specifically?

It used to be simple. Dexron/Mercon, Chrysler fluid, or maybe Ford type F.

What is happening is that fluids are being specifically designed for certain friction characteristics, and thickness/thinness. Modern auto trannys are sensitive to friction modification, and the slight viscosity changes in different fluids.
Shift anomalies and torque converter lockup will be affected. So can component life.

I see some new fluids as being superior. They are more consistent when cold/hot, and are full synthetic and tough.

I think there is also a certain amount of profit maximization going on with the proliferation of super-secret manufacturer only fluid specifications. What other reason can there be for Honda, for example, to keep the exact specification of ATF-Z1 secret and for not allowing any third party licensed suppliers of it?

Well, yes. Proprietary parts and lubes are a concern for mfrs and dealers, for sure. It is a part of the equation, no doubt.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It used to be simple. Dexron/Mercon, Chrysler fluid, or maybe Ford type F.

This is why I drive old cars. In my old Chevy I could probably use the same oil for the engine, PS, trans, diffs, etc, and not even notice for a while...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back