Choosing a good 15W40 Dino for Volvo 850

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I've narrowed it down to a few finalists for my 95 850 Turbo:

--Chevron Delo (sounds pretty good)
--Castrol GTX Diesel (current front runner)
--Rotella T (can get this oil for a steal!)

I'm sorry but I don't want to run synth oil just yet.

What do you think? By the way, I live in central texas where it rarely gets below 30 but freguently above 100 degrees in the summer. 15W40 is what I run.

thanks!

I also live in the Texas Hill Country....Chevron Delo is a very good oil.....great add pack...Moly....very robust....Shell Rotella would be a very close second...Castrol being a distant third....give a peek at the VOA section...

it is of my opinion that any of those oils will work just as good as the other for youre application. sence you say you can get rotella for a steal than just gewt the rotella.

i use delo 400 because i got a bunch of it for free at my old job. i also have some castrol tection that i got for $80 cents a quart.

pretty much any brand name diesel oil will work great.

offtopic.gif
This is just what I need. I moved into an area with a bunch of BITOGers

I can see that it's going to be competetive shopping during clearances.

Oh yea. DELO then Rotella are great. I would lean towards the steal if it is so.

Costco out here has Rotella T for $40 for six gallons. I could open a Jiffy Lube or something I suppose...

Good point about the Moly. I notice Delo has quite a bit while Rotella T has almost none. Might be enough to make me search out the Delo...

At first I was concerend about using an oil designed for Diesels but since they meet the API SL designation I guess I have nothing to worry about, right? One thing that does concern me about Rotella T and the others is the high amount of detergent. Will this be a problem with degrading my seals on my gasoline Turbo engine?

Thanks!

rotella has a harsher detergent(magnesium) than delo(calcium). this is something to consider if you have an aluminum block/head rather than cast iron.not sure how this would translate into wear but, milder is always a prime consideration if longevity is a factor.btw, I have no scientific proof but I'd go with delo.

I think a 15W-40 conventional is going to hurt your turbo spool up times, but you know your climate best.

The Delvac or Delo get my vote for best. There's no clunkers in the bunch, so the Rotella wins the value contest.

Of course, when you're ready for a full synthetic, Delvac 1/T&SUV 5W-40 is a no-brainer in this engine. ARX it before the changeover.

Thanks Volvohead. I was hoping you'd chime in! Spool up time? Hey, I'm not out to win the Indy 500 or anything!
smile.gif
I'm more concerned about longevity of the motor. I've got 134K and I want to see 200K+.

My Volvo mechanic uses Valvoline 15W40 and the volvo owners manual calls for 15W40 in climates over 100. I routinely see over 100F in the summer. Trip computer registered 128F in traffic last summer!! Probably picking up the heat from the road but that was still pretty hot!

Thanks. The magnesium vs. calcium is something to consider. I'm starting to lean toward Delo I think.

Synthetics scare me. I am seeking therapy for my synthophobia...

From what I have researched Delo is a terrific conventional that could give me a lot of the benefits of synthetic without worrying if the synthetic is going to clean the gunk off my seals and expose a leak.

You want thermal stability in your oil with a turbo. It's not as bad as in the days when they weren't water cooled, but the turbo bearing still gets mighty hot. Much hotter than anything you'll see in a NA engine.

Synthetics tend to do a little better in these more difficult situations. But the Delo is a good oil.

Quicker spool up time? That's what makes a turbo fun.

Thanks. Believe me, I'd love to run the synthetic too because I'm sure it's way better for the turbo. But with my luck, the minute I pour it in it'll leak right out of the rear main seal...

RP -

My parents' 850 with 124,000 miles loves Rotella 15W-40. It has eliminated oil consumption compared to the 5W-30 that was in the engine when they first bought it. I'm hoping the oil is slowly cleaning the engine since I can't get the folks to spring for two bottles of Auto-Rx.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 15W-40's you've listed. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back