Mixing ATF (Diamond SP3 with Dexron II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Pajero/Montero with V4AW3 tranny.

It was originally filled with the ATF Diamond SP3 (equivalent).

In the last revision i did, the mechanic identified the level of ATF was low and completed the level with about 2.5 liters of Dexron II compatible oil.

The MMC recommends the Dexron II for this tranny (no problem with that), but, as it was previusly filled with SP3 ATF, so my question is: is there any problem mixing SP3 ATF with Dexron II ATF ?

Thanks

I don't think you will have an issue.
I mix dexron III and T-IV all the time in transmissions that call for Dex II/III.
I actually have about 30% T-IV in my A140E in my Camry now.
It fixed a "lazy to go in to gear in cold weather" issue that I had.
I've had it in there for a while now with no ill effects.

Upgrading is not a problem.
Downgrading is.
Mixing isn't a problem.

You downgraded your SPIII with DexronII.

You upgraded your DexronIII with T-IV.

And, how are you originally filled with SP3 while the MMC recommends DexronII?

The real question is "why are you 2.5liters low" and "was the level checked correctly"?
Learn to use the dipstick!

2.5 liters low says their either the mechanic measured wrong or you have a massive leak. Both are a bigger concern than the mixing.

I've used the original dipstick of the car. To measure the level, i've drive the car for about 20km and with the car stopped and the engine running, i put the transmission on all positions (P, R, D, N, 2, L) for about 30 secs each. After that i put it on "N" and used the dipstick. Not sign of oil at all on dipstick.

I just bought the car 2 months ago and i have no idea why the level was so low. There is no sign of leak. I don't have mainteinance history of the car, but it is a Pajero/Montero, year 2000, with about 110.000kms.

It was using the SP3 because, here, in Brazil, the Mitsubishi only uses SP3 from Castrol. Probably because they have an commercial deal. I've checked the recommendation for my tranny in other markets (US, Japan) and they all recommend the Dexron II.

Thanks for all the answers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back