SJ vehicle, SM oil is fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just double checking

my vehicle calls for SJ oil, however the oil i use, valvoline synpower (API SM/SL/CF), doesn't mention SJ like the other synthetic oils i have lying around (castrol syntec, amsoil, and pennzoil). Just want to make sure this oil is perfectly fine

and did valvoline not mention SJ because it is older/inferior to SM?

You'll be fine.
thumbsup2.gif

SM covers all the API before it.

Bill

I disagree that the SM/ GF4 is fine - but the market leave you no choice. If you dont "beat' on your engine, it should be fine as Bill says though. I need an S&M rated oil for my poor car
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I disagree that the SM/ GF4 is fine - but the market leave you no choice.

I agree!!....i wouldn't say ALL previous API before ,i would never run SM in my flat tappet camaro...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I disagree that the SM/ GF4 is fine - but the market leave you no choice. If you dont "beat' on your engine, it should be fine as Bill says though. I need an S&M rated oil for my poor car
wink.gif

Agree x2

Sure it will work, but it would never be my first choice. You can't buy the old stuff anymore unless you find some stored in a warehouse somewhere...

which car? one of us might know if the manufacturer approved SM oil for it after the manual was printed

sangyup: its an integra with a b18b1 engine

why would it be bad to run SM as oppose to SJ oil?(from the way you guys put it)

The only reason I would worry about using current oil would be if I were needing it for a 50-60-70-early 80's vehicle.

Wasnt SJ the current api rating when your integra was new?

I wouldnt worry about it at all. Some talk of the need for higher adds of ZDDP that are present in pre-SM oils, however only in VERY limited cases is that the sole additive of choice. New chemistries offer the same protection without the catalyst-killing characteristics of ZDDP. No need to hold on to old, obsolete technology in most applications - Id say yours has no need for it. Go with SM and youll be fine.

Mine calls for API SF. I have tweaked the newer SM oils more than once :) I realize the new oils are supposed to good for cars calling for the older formulations, but.........

Add some SLOB if you are determined you just must mess with the ZDDP...

An Integra will also run on any quality HDEO for decades.

Cheers!

I use VSOT from time to time, or RL Break in Oil Additive. Come the spring I'll treat her to Lubro-Moly.

Mine originally called for SH and I've been using SM rated oils since I got it in early 2007, no problem at all. My UOA's come back just fine... like Bill said, SM covers previous API ratings.

High valve spring pressures would be better with the older SJ.
Your cam and lifters will last longer.
For most normal street cars, it won't matter, esp. after break in.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
New chemistries offer the same protection without the catalyst-killing characteristics of ZDDP. No need to hold on to old, obsolete technology in most applications

My Jeep has been burning at least a quart of ZDDP laced oil per change for many years now at 225,000+ miles. The cat is still perfectly good, and passes an emissions test with no problem. (even with TCW-3 in my gas!)

I still have yet to see any actual proof that ZDDP harms cats besides the EPA telling us we're all going to die because of it. Funny we've been running cats since '74 and ZDDP only just recently started killing them...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back