Honda V6 AT Resource (Automatic Transmission)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been on that site for a while, lot's of talk on the actual transmission, but not a whole lot of the fluid. 99% of us don't even want to try anything else because Honda has been pretty good with their goodwill warranty on the transmission problems of the 6th gens and some of the 7 gens. If Honda detects that you used something besides their Z-1 fluid, kiss the goodwill gesture adios.

That makes a lot of sense. "Goodwill" is not the same thing as a Moss-Magnusen type claim. That's also why I posted it in the Maintenance forum rather than ATF forum.

Conversion to manual tran would be my chosen route, but I've got a 2007 4cyl AT, should be good. It has AMSoil in since nearly new, but coming up on 2 years, I wounder if I should just use the MaxLife I have 4q of already.

Does this apply only to the 2003-2004 AT's? or the manuals as well? thinking of buying a 2003 accord Coupe with either the 5spd or the v6 6spd?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Does this apply only to the 2003-2004 AT's? or the manuals as well? thinking of buying a 2003 accord Coupe with either the 5spd or the v6 6spd?

The 6-speed Manual had a lot of issues as well. There was a TSB release that called for rebuilding the transmission with updated parts in order to cure a 3rd gear problem.

The 5-speed auto issues were mostly limited to the V6 models. The 4-cylinders that are paired with the 5-speed auto have been trouble-free.

Also, the AT's from the 7th gens were of the years you were asking about. However, there was a TSB that came out requiring the dealers to put in a oil spray system on the existing transmissions already out on the road. By mid 04, they started doing that at the factory and I haven't heard of any problems with AT's from 05 and on. Haven't really heard of any AT problems from 03 to 04 once they have the spray system installed. Now the 6th gens, they are just trash period. Partially why I got rid of my 02 Accord last month. The AT was starting to jerk around again.

Schmoe,

The dude in that link, 03LXV6_ME, had the recall jet installed & it still failed (from a problem the jet wasn't designed to fix evidently).

So, you got rid of the '02, huh? We still have ours with 134k miles. It whines but no fluid loss, no erratic shifting behavior yet. I think I'm going to install the cooler & inline filter.

Yeah, with the wife going back to school and her Accord having 208K on it, plus the AT "noose" hanging over my head, plus some of the dash lights going out, plus time for a new belt, plus knowing Honda won't "goodwill" me another transmission with all the miles on it AND Honda having 2.9% financing, something came to me in a dream and said "let it go." ha ha Wife is not crazy about the CRV yet. She just doesn't like the 4 cylinder engine even though it has almost as much HP as her old V6. I offered to swap and give her my 06 Accord. I hope she comes around, but if not, I don't have a problem with the CRV except the stereo won't crank up like the one in my Accord does. I'm looking to keep the CRV until she gets out of school and starts making some money, and then we'll get another Accord, probably a 9 generation. But Ben, after all the reading and stuff I did on the dreaded 02 AT issues, I just don't feel that coolers and filters are going to make a difference. I got 130K out of the original one, and that was doing fluid swaps every 30K with Z1. Maybe you ought to think about what I did. The re-sale on the Accords are still good, we got 4K on the trade in, more if I would have tried to sell it out right, and then go get a new one at 2.9%. The 8 gens seem to have the transmission problems worked out, now they got back brake pads failing issues.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord

The 6-speed Manual had a lot of issues as well. There was a TSB release that called for rebuilding the transmission with updated parts in order to cure a 3rd gear problem.

The 5-speed auto issues were mostly limited to the V6 models. The 4-cylinders that are paired with the 5-speed auto have been trouble-free.

Really Honda usually has amazing tranny's, because the Coupe with the V6 6SPD is the one I was looking at.

Filter change, w/pics! (newer model)

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41286

attachment.jpg

Changed my ATF filter today ('05 K24)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd share this info for the maintenance-minded. Some (or all) of this information is duplicated elsewhere on the site, but I couldn't find a step-by-step process for doing this, so I thought I'd post mine. The ATF filter on the K24 ATs sits on top of the transmission's bell housing, just to the left (passenger side) and aft (toward the firewall) of the air box.

The basics of how I changed it:
* ('03-'05 only) Remove the 10mm bolt from throttle cable bracket; move cables as necessary
* Remove the 10mm bolt from the right (driver's) side of the filter retention bracket
* Remove the filter retention bracket
* Lift up the filter and place a shop rag under it to absorb ATF
* Compress the hose clamp tabs and move the clamp aside (do this on the input/output sides--you only need to move it a few inches)
* Grasp the filter and one of the hoses; wiggle the hose and pull outward a bit to remove the hose. Do this for both sides.
* Connect the new filter to the input/output hoses, move the clamps back into place, replace the bracket and its bolt, and replace the throttle cable bracket and its bolt.

The '06-'07 K24s have DBW, so there are no throttle cables to get in the way.

Overall, it was a pretty easy procedure. It took about half an hour, and most of that was spent trying to move the clamps. I ended up using a pair of lockable needle-nose pliers for the back (firewall side) one and a wide-jaw pair of channel locks for the front (radiator side) one. It's easier to get at the front one from the top, while I moved the back one from the back side. The dealer wanted $75 to do it, so it's definitely worth your time to do it yourself.

I used part number 25430-PLR-003. After being told by one dealership that it was a bad part number and being quoted $39 for it from a second, I ordered it from Majestic Honda (www.hondaautomotiveparts.com), where it's known as item number 374500. If you can't find it that way, find the "AT ATF PIPE" group under Majestic Honda's parts lookup and it's part 004. Their price was $14.04 plus shipping and $4.95 handling. Order a couple of them if you can to spread the shipping/handling costs over more parts. Please post here if you know of someone with a better price. I know some of this information is in the FAQ, but I added it here in case you missed it there.

I'd change the filter after the car has been sitting for a few hours. There will be less fluid in it that way, and the job will be less messy. This job also involves a bit of leaning over the fender, so you might want to drape the fender with something so you don't accidentally scratch it. I was able to complete the job with almost no mess and no marred fenders by following this advice.

I hope some of this information helps. If you have any questions, please ask. I'll check this thread for a couple of days.

Anyway, a few pictures:

One is the part in the bag, with the part number label. Show this to the Honda parts guys when they tell you it doesn't exist or that it's not available in the U.S. Another is the filter canister cut open with the top removed, another is a shot of the bypass valve, and another is a section of the filter media that I cut apart out of curiosity. This isn't even listed by Honda as a maintenance item, but it can't hurt to change it every 20,000-30,000 miles or so, especially because it's such an inexpensive and easy job.

Check your transmission model and year. There is a different type of filter setup for the V6.

There seems to be some confusion over at that website on this transmission. I believe the picture your seeing is an earlier 7th gen model that had the Honda recall done on the transmission problem. Believe me, after the horrible 6th gen problems, Honda was all over the 7th gen problems. I believe what your looking at is the dealer fix. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that pipe connection looking thing is not attached on models that were fixed by the manufacturer.

That's NASTY looking.....
On the AT's with the quick dealer fix. Those AT's will NOT have a dipstick, as in the Audi Junkie photo. The factory fix, around late 03 or early 04, will have a dipstick. You'll have to take off the filler nut.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Here's the thread for the V6 ATF change...

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39839

layout1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
There seems to be some confusion over at that website on this transmission. I believe the picture your seeing is an earlier 7th gen model that had the Honda recall done on the transmission problem. Believe me, after the horrible 6th gen problems, Honda was all over the 7th gen problems. I believe what your looking at is the dealer fix. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that pipe connection looking thing is not attached on models that were fixed by the manufacturer.

If you are referring to the picture which was above this reply on page 1 then the confusion may be elsewhere. The picture is a Gen7 with NO oil jet mod. The pipe in the foreground is the transmission breather tube. The oil jet mod goes into the ATF filler bolt on the early transmissions that needed it. The ATF filler bolt is clearly visible on the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back