Klotz synthectic motorcycle oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, New guy here. Great site!.. Has anyone ever used Klotz synthetic motorcycle oil?, I have used there V-twin 20w50 this past year in my new Harley and the bike seems to run a little quiter and smoother compared to other sysnthetics. I'm Just looking for some feedback on this stuff, positive or negative.
Thanks

I know some racers that love it.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

eagle,
WOW that is some interesting data there.

he KILLED that oil. especially the bel-ray. of course the fuel % was horrid as well.

but look at the wear metals!!! of course silicon of 83 means he's feeding it a nice diet of sand.

the klotz actually held up a little better (if you can say that) than the bel-ray. silicon of 46 was a lot less as was the fuel %.
but he's shedding metal like crazy.

um, its a raptor 700cc single. wide open throttle is only possible on flat ground as the low end will flip you in a hurry.
which im sure he likes to blast down a road at 70mph with no helmet on holding his beer in one hand.

few things you can say about his results:
1) poor air filtration
2) poor jetting
3) poor upkeep
4) poor oil - it got thrashed in 12 hrs. a big name (bel-ray) motorcycle oil got *KILLED* in 12 hrs by a slow reving, non-ultra-high rpm single.

Hey Thanks. Yes, them quads are tuff on any oil, due to possible dirt intake, thats why they need to replace so many pistons!!..I use the KLOTZ V-Twin 20W50, seem's to be real nice stuff, smells good too!.. I order the oil straight from Klotz, the sales/tech guy is a real good guy, answers all my questions and he gives me free shipping on a case of oil, not a bad deal.

sunruh, for sure, you are correct, sounds like overall pour maintance on that nice quad, too bad!.. My air cooled V-twin Harly seems to like the Klotz V-Twin 20w50. I change the oil every 1,500 miles, only because the bike get a little hot somtimes, and its peace of mind.

Those quads are tough on oil. Now I see why they change it every hand full of runs. I was more interested in the VOA. Not sure where the lead is coming from. A bit low on detergents but ZDDP is good. Calcium is quite low but the other additives may compensate. Like to see a UOA on a Harley to more meaningful results. Can't really get that from this quad UOA. Too much of a beating. Keep us posted. It is about $15 / Qt at Dennis Kirk. What are you paying?

EagleFTE,

I am paying about 120 to my door, 10 quarts, thats with shipping. Not bad compared to other good synthetics. Klotz has group V synthetic, like the old saying, you get what you pay for! Maybe this summer I will send in a used oil sample.

Thanks

klotz1, your wasting your money and not getting anything for it by changing it that soon. If I was going to change it at 1500 miles, I would pick a mineral 20/50 for $2-$4 tops.Your Harley motor isn't that fragile get the oil dirty and put some miles on it.Heck, Harley's bottom of the barrel oil will go 5k so there's no sense in changing $12 a qt oil before it makes several trips thru the motor.,,

BigCahuna, you are correct, I may have a little money & oil waste, although I just do not believe a 50 weight oil (syn or dino oil) can hold up very well in these modern day air cooled V-twins, mostly do to emissions, they run lean and Hot!. Any oil will start breaking down at 250 degrees and will need to be changed soon. An old air cooled Porsche machanic / engine builder once told me something, a mondern day car or pick up truck can hold 5 to 7 quarts of oil and requires to be changed every 5K -6K miles, depending on your driving conditions. Why would want to go 5k miles on only 3.5 quarts? makes sence to me. I would never run my oil past 2K miles, my buddy goes 5K in his oil and when we change it, it's like black sludge!.. OH, he also uses AMSOIL?. This is just my thoughts and what I believe. Thanks for your listening.

You can go 5k miles with no problem with today's oil's. maybe years ago it may have been dicey, but oil has improved in the last 10 years. And you never hear of oil related failures unless there is no oil. A small low horsepower 2 cylinder motor with 4 qts of oil will live a long life as long as you don't baby it too much.If Harley couldn't make a motor last they would be bankrupt a long time ago. Believe high mileage bikes,not old wives tales and oil sales hype.,

Originally Posted By: sunruh

um, its a raptor 700cc single. wide open throttle is only possible on flat ground as the low end will flip you in a hurry.
which im sure he likes to blast down a road at 70mph with no helmet on holding his beer in one hand.

few things you can say about his results:
1) poor air filtration
2) poor jetting
3) poor upkeep
4) poor oil - it got thrashed in 12 hrs. a big name (bel-ray) motorcycle oil got *KILLED* in 12 hrs by a slow reving, non-ultra-high rpm single.

Assume much?
I'm a member of the Modded Raptor forum.

The OP is a racer. Most racers are at WOT quite often.

The Raptor 700 is fuel injected so there's no jetting at any rate. Most racers are dyno-tuned...mine is and I don't race. I'll have to ask him but I'm 99% certain that he's dyno tuned as well.

It's easy to ride a Raptor wide-open when you know how to ride it in the correct environment, especially when you have a modified suspension to make it more stable. WOT is frequent under race conditions...or if you're like me, and you ride in the sand (Glamis).

I won't even comment on your "no helmet carrying a beer" quip.

IMHO you're making assumptions about folks and machines you don't know, and you know what they say about making assumptions
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back