Oil Filter Location on 2010 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased subject vehicle (6 cyl) and cannot find the oil filter despite scrutiny with a light under the engine (and undercarriage covers). Can anyone tell me where they have hidden it?

call your salesman and check the manual. Id thin they would have walked through some of that...

I personally cannot say, but would hope the dealer would be willing to answer your questions...

If you have the 4.0L engine (I don't think they offer the V8 anymore) then it is right on top...you can't miss it.

BTW,
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
To change oil on your T4R (I have an 08 v6)

1. with flat blade screwdriver pop the oval inspection cover off the skid pan under the engine revealing oil pan drain bolt (14mm).
2. remove bolt-drain oil-replace bolt with new crush washer tighten snug
3. Oil filter is on top with integrated catch housing with drip spout & rubber cap. Remove rubber cap under drip spout and attach clear 3/8 tubing and route to used oil drain pan below.
4. Remove oil fliter and used oil will drain down tube to pan.
5. Wipe off oil filter base & oil new filter gasket and install hand tight.
6. Add 5.5 quarts fresh 5w30 oil to filler tube next to oil filter.
7. Start engine, check for leaks
8. re-install oval cover on bottom skid plate.

If 4.0l on top of motor great easy set up just drain into cut off Qt bottle.

Thanks, people, but they have changed it. On the 2010 it is no longer on top in the easy to get to drip housing that allows you to tube the spillage into a drip pan. My guess is that the redesign is not an improvement, but your hints appear to apply to the previous years' models. By the way, the people at the dealership were not helpful, although if I do not get a good answer from this forum, I will press them.

Yeah, I'm guessing that might be possible, especially since they have an "extension" that drops down from the oil pan that appears like a resevoir, the center of which contains the drain plug. However, as you may imagine,I'm reluctant to dig into it without knowing for sure.

Originally Posted By: Warreb
Thanks, people, but they have changed it. On the 2010 it is no longer on top in the easy to get to drip housing that allows you to tube the spillage into a drip pan.

Bummer ... I like the old setup.

PureONEPL20195onTacoma2.jpg

After I finally found the cartridge on my Ecotec and went to the dealer to buy a new one, Mr Goodwrench questioned if I should be undertaking such complex operations on my own. Ask a Question?

Look elsewhere too. I saw something about a remote mount in a thread here. If you have already purchased the recommended filter, you should be able to tell if you are looking for a filter or a cartridge cap.

After learning that nobody in town had the right filter for my Ecotec, I decided to get a look at it and find something that would work. Well nice theory. Mr Goodwrench didn't even have one in stock. They were able to get one in 2 hours. Wish I would have tried their 30 minutes or free deal.

Useful information in the owner's manual? You jest? Checked the one for my 02. It doesn't even mention that it has a cartridge filter let alone where to find it.

I would look for something near the top of the engine about 3'' in diameter that looks like it is meant to be unscrewed. The one on my Ecotec is plastic and has a 5/4'' hex.

Its a cartridge filter now. On the front of the engine way down low. You have to remove a small plastic skid plate and a larger metal skid plate. I bought a couple filters at the dealer for about 5 bucks a piece. they come with the gaskets too. I think we have to use 0w20 oil though on the new 4 liter v6

Does anyone know where it is? I crawled under today, took the oil drain access plate off, saw the drain plug in the otherwise smooth plastic oil pan (held in place with 12 bolts), but no sign of a cover plate or access for the filter housing. There is no mention of it in the manual.

Originally Posted By: labman
Useful information in the owner's manual? You jest? Checked the one for my 02. It doesn't even mention that it has a cartridge filter let alone where to find it.

I would look for something near the top of the engine about 3'' in diameter that looks like it is meant to be unscrewed. The one on my Ecotec is plastic and has a 5/4'' hex.

Interesting, since every owners manual for my fleet at least tells me a filter number and capacity.

Originally Posted By: labman
Oh yeah, it gave the number for it and how much oil, but nothing else.

Understood.

I usually take my vehicle to the dealer for the first oil change. On GM's it's a lot easier to find the blue AC-Delco filter that replaces the factory-installed one. :D

Now with a cartridge one, I can see that being a little more difficult......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back