Any Triumph Lovers Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all goes well I will be able to afford a new bike in 2010, sometime in the fall. Now HD is the most common bike around here and I really do not care for my fathers Low Rider or my cousin's Deuce, so I am looking at alternatives.

I really like the idea of being a bit different so I was thinking about a Triumph Speedmaster or America. Any thoughts on the quality of the new Triumphs?

The new Thunderbird is too much bike for me. I want a nice medium cruiser in the 800-1300cc range give or take. I read the reviews of it though, and its a neat bike.

Year ago I worked at Mazda of all places, and we had a 2001 Super Sport (?) come in on trade. I may be wrong on that name.

It was a beautifull bike. I think it was upwards of 1000 cc.

Gorgeous.

My first road bike was a 1974 Bonneville. It was a basket case, all the parts were in milk cartons, and my dad and I put it together when I was 14. He rebuilt the engine, and I remember the compression was so high I could barely kick it over. I haven't had the pleasure of riding a new Triumph, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. My friend owns a Rocket 3, that thing is ridiculous. But it's been very reliable.

To the original poster.

I kept a 2005 Speedmaster for about two years. 865 cc with the 270 firing interval. I added more-open pipes, opened up the air box, and re-jetted the carbs.

Result: 56 hp and 62 torque (at rear wheel). Bike pulled hard to rev limiter at 7,200. Nice hp curve.

The bike was excellent for around town and handled well on the twisty 2-lane roads. Nimble and fun to ride. Very little engine vibration. Lots of compliments from other riders. Yes, it also did just fine down the interstate.

+'s - Factory two year/unlimited mileage warranty

-'s - Limited audience so they don't resell well. Accessories may be limited and/or expensive. Dealer network is scarce.

The forward controls were a bit of a stretch for my 30" inseam.

I thouroughly enjoyed mine and had zero complaints (except the position of the forward controls).

Try looking in Cycletrader.com and Craigs list for used Speedmasters. There are sometimes a deal to be had.

There's also a discount dealer(s) in the Chicago area - which is where I purchased mine (new).

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited:
I really like the Speedmaster, I test drove one last summer at Triumph Detroit, "Great Dealer" I especialy like the fake carburators, there are fuel injection bodies in those big carbs, very Cool! and different. OH, I also test drove the Rocket III, WOW!... Twist the throttle and HANG ON?

Last edited:
05_Speedmaster.jpg

Here's mine (since sold)

Last edited:
I love my 1996 Speed Triple. It's a great bike.

1996%20S3%203.JPG

The only other bike that really tempts me is the Street Triple R.

I haven't owned one, but really want a Tiger. Totally
agree with the last two post, they're building some
solidly designed machines.

My buddy bought a used sprint st 1050 this last summer, I will stick with my oriental bikes, good motor sounds from the triple tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back