Vacuum pump oil add-pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some FisherBrand 19 mechanical pump oil and am looking for off-label uses. It appears to be a straight 20, with a pour point of 5 degrees F (SUS 51 @ 210F). I looked at the MSDS, and it listed solvent dewaxed heavy mineral oil at 100%. Do vacuum pump oils not have any additives at all?

I did a quick search and it appears these are pure mineral oils with low boil and flash points - similar to a 2-stroke oil base. Would be OK to burn as a top oil in a PCMO app - not for crankcase fill. Ive use the nono-reactive Florocarbon oil in edwards oxygen plasma vacuum pumps - thats why I was curious about the mineral oil!

I have used other pump oils that were based on silica oils or based on polyphenyl esters. Both of these can handle very high temperatures. I was just surprised that this oil appears to just be a group I oil, no addtives, nothing special.

The product data sheets speaks of volatility, protection of O-rings and running cooler. If it is 100% paraffin oil, it seems that there would be very little that could differentiate brands other than cost. I had no idea that in an application like this that there would be no need for any additives.

Thats a striaght cut oil no additives. In a vaccum pump application mixing a high vis and low vis oil called a dumbell blend will yield a oil that is to volitle and will "evaporate' at a lower temp vs a stright cut oil the evaporation will keep the full vaccum from being realized.

Yea, I figured that they would want to minimize the more volatile cuts. I just didn't realize that there were still formulations that..well.. aren't formulated - no additives, no blending. Just repackage and reprice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back