Nissan Versa 1.8L CVT Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I'm looking for an oil and filter recommendation for my wife's car. She's driving a 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch with Nissan's MR18DE Engine and a CVT Transmission.

We live in the Boston MA area, and the car currently has about 17000 miles. We bought it used with about 15000 miles on it, and are gearing up for our first oil change on this car.

This car is mostly an urban commuter, with the occasional stint on the highway. Being in Boston, I'd say my wife is a slightly aggressive driver (she's got to survive out there!), but certainly not racing the car. Her commute to work is about 3.5 miles. On average I'd say most trips are 10 miles or less.

Nissan recommends 5W30 and a change interval of 3750 on the Schedule 1 maintenance schedule, which I say would apply to us.

Finally, I usually go with OEM filters from Nissan. I believe the Versa uses the 15208-65F0C. Any recommendations here?

I usually use synthetic oil in my car, and would be open to using it on her car as well. I usually buy my own oil/filter and have a local mechanic do the actual change. I don't have the space in the city to change it myself.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone,
- Zack

Last edited:
the nissan filters are pretty [censored]. And for how much they cost, you could use a better wix 51356 or any other quality filter.

Originally Posted By: AFmedic
nissan filters are made in china now an have cardboard ends that are glued.

Yes poor construction. Use pretty much anything else made in USA and you will be good filter-wise. Oil wise I love PYB. Sorry for being a SOPUS fanboy but if it works don't change it.

I have a 2006 Sentra with a 1.8S Engine.

any good dino oil will do.

I have used these oils QS, Mobil clean 5,000, PYB and PP.

and a pure one oil filter or wix oil filter

Now my sentra only takes 3QT of oil so check your owner’s manual.

Andy

Any good name brand dino oil will work fine. I personally like Quaker State and Pennzoil myself.

I say use a Purolator Classic with dino oils, and a Bosh Premium or Purolator Pure One filter if you go to synthetics.

stick with any CVT specific oil. Their are some choices out their BG has a CVT fluid. Their are really only two main designs used by OEM with the pusher built being the most common. Most CVT fluids if I recall right are SAE 50.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
stick with any CVT specific oil. Their are some choices out their BG has a CVT fluid. Their are really only two main designs used by OEM with the pusher built being the most common. Most CVT fluids if I recall right are SAE 50.

you answer a question he doesnt ask.

I'd probably go with a syn and do 6month/3750 mile oil changes.

Last edited:
YBP and your Nissan filter would work fine.

Though I'm partial to Purolator oil filters myself.

I'd stay dino if your change interval stays in the 3000-4000 mile range.

If you go to 5000+ miles, PP would be a good choice.

The Nissan Versa looks like a good choice for today's world. Please keep us updated on how it's working for you.

Zack,

That's what I do when my OCI comes up for my 01' Durango V-8. I just have the dealership handle the service and give them my own store bought synthetic oil. The only item I have them install is the factory filter (Mopar OEM) for it. Stay with the filters designed for it. No need to go/look for a filter for eztended OCI's since you change the oil every 3750K.

You didn't mention what brand of synthetic you use but mine standard is Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Durango truck AND Impala SS (newly bought this year).

Have a happy NEW YEAR.

Durango

Originally Posted By: AFmedic
nissan filters are made in china now an have cardboard ends that are glued.

No kidding! When did this happen? I've been using Nissan filters on my 2003 Maxima for a while now. At the time I researched Nissan filters here and saw that people recommended them, and never looked back.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll start looking back at Pure One's or Wix again.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. Much appreciated.

Also, excuse my ignorance but what is PYB and YBP? I'm not familiar with those acronyms. Perhaps an acronym sticky in this thread for us occasional viewers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zgendron

Also, excuse my ignorance but what is PYB and YBP? I'm not familiar with those acronyms. Perhaps an acronym sticky in this thread for us occasional viewers?

Ohhh....PYB = Pennzoil Yellow Bottle.

Took a while, but finally found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back