Grade your vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jdeare
2001 Buick Regal LS: D-

This car is on the verge of failing. I've had it from 14,000 miles to almost 41,000 miles now.

Minuses: Burns oil. Tons of rattles both inside and out. Terrible handling. Numb ride and steering. Wheels do not hold air very well (5+ pounds lost/week). Gas mileage is miserable (~15 around town, ~24 hwy) considering the anemic way it accelerates. Seats are very uncomfortable for a 30 min drive, almost unbearable on a road trip. HVAC is not very effective and the fan does nothing on "low" setting. Has failing manifold gaskets that will need to be addressed soon (at either large expense or large inconvenience). Has stranded me twice when it refused to start. Surprisingly small interior considering the size of the exterior. [censored] leather seating. Stodgy looks and there is a definite Buick bias among other drivers... there is the assumption that a Buick will be going slow and possibly the driver will not know where they are going... so I get a lot of tailgaters and guys cutting me off because they don't want to be behind me (people who know me know that I drive fast and smooth and I generally know where I'm going).

Plusses: It's paid for.

My Buick is a heap. This is most likely just my car, not Buicks in general.

In YOUR case you would have been a lot better of getting a good used car from the highway patrol...You would not have people treating you so bad on the road...Whenever I drove my friends 98 CVPI and come to a 4 way stop or even if I am trying to get out of a busy driveway on a very crowded street everyone comes to a screeching halt for me...To top it off the car has no issues at 170K miles.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

In YOUR case you would have been a lot better of getting a good used car from the highway patrol...You would not have people treating you so bad on the road...Whenever I drove my friends 98 CVPI and come to a 4 way stop or even if I am trying to get out of a busy driveway on a very crowded street everyone comes to a screeching halt for me...To top it off the car has no issues at 170K miles.

Back when the P.D. still used them, I had a 90 9C1 Caprice, the last year of the box style. I bought it from a police officer friend of mine who bought it new. He babied it and when I got it it was in excellent condition.

You are spot on about these cars. When I drove it no one tailgated, cut you off or did any of the usual stupidity that you normally encounter in traffic. You could speed in it and people actually got out of your way when they saw you in their mirrors. It rode and drove like a smaller car thanks to it's HD suspension, brakes and 5.7 liter engine, civilian Caprices only got the 5.0. Wish I still had that one. If gas here wasn't $3.25 a gallon, a CVPI would be a great daily driver, I'd seriously look for one.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Originally Posted By: ramblar
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I really doubt anyone here is going to fail there vehicles.

Wrong.
My 1993 F-150 w/5.0L 302 has given me everlasting problems, and I have given up on it.

F

883a7-clap.gif
grin2.gif

31.gif
I have the exact same truck, and she is still goin strong. A+++

1986 Ford F-150 4x4 5.0 EFI XLT Lariat

A++

Never had a single problem in the 2.5 years I've owned it except needing a throttle position sensor when I bought it ($32 for part, I do the labor). Has the cast iron NP435 transmission with the 6.68:1 first gear (bulldog as us southerners call it). NP208 transfer case and Ford 9" rear end. It has the reliable 5.0 and an RV like cam. Screams all the way to 5000RPM. I just don't push it farther because it's stock, but with a 4" bore and little 3" stroke, it can probably go over 5k on the stock internals. Uses about a quart of oil every 2500 miles, but I'm not complaining.. it's the original engine and it's almost 24 years old. NOT A SINGLE OIL LEAK and I've never seen it smoke... not blue, black, or white.

I have your average street tires on it, and it still will go nearly anywhere out in my fields in 4x4. It has the twin traction beam front suspension. Some don't like it because they aren't tough when you go over the 35" tire territory, but it's great with my 31x10.50 15" tires, and helps get the extra grip off road... plus better handling on the streets.

I hope I get to keep this truck for my whole life.

2003 Nissan Sentra XE : B

Great car except for the head gasket leak I'm trying to deal with. Gets "OK" gas mileage at 30 MPG Summer [combined - will get close to 40 MPG on highway in Summer] and about 28 MPG combined in Winter.

1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe : A

Very tough car and got 44 MPG highway in Summer, and about 34 MPG city.

1996 S-10 B+

285,000 and no end in sight. have needed a fuel filter and transmission, radiator, alternator, 2 tensioners. It's the 4.3 V6. everything still works, power windows, door locks, all the electrical. S-10's are way under rated. I do Mobil 1 at around 7500.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back