Synthetic in a 2000 Ford F350 7.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some Cenex Maxtron DEO 15w-40, so I might try that. Just curious how that would go. Truck runs great, but with that many miles, I didnt know if a synthetic would be a detriment or not?

Coadman: I switched over at 270K miles. Did 2 cleaning cycles of Auto-Rx. I don't know if it was called for, but I felt better after doing it. The 7.3L seemed to idle quieter and throttle response for sure was better. I don't have an oil by-pass system, so I went with the cheaper not full synthetic RTS-5W-40... It for sure helped with faster startups-->{No more Romping on those cold winter mornings}.

You should have no issues! I do recommend the 5W-40. The 7.3L really likes the lighter weight oils.

Next spring, I will invest in a oil-bypass system, and switch to Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 and take advantage of the Extended Oil Change Intervals...

Switch and don't look Back.

Originally Posted By: Coadman
I have 250,000 miles on this 2000 Ford F350, and it really doesnt use any oil to speak of. I would like to try a synthetic, is that an "ok" idea?

What oil have you used for the past 250K?

And by the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

I bought this truck two years ago with 186,000 on it. I have been using Rotella 15w-40 ever since I bought it. We have a shop on the farm, with a hydraulic 2 post lift, so it's pretty easy to perform the basic maintenance.

SYN> I was going to use a 5W-40 that Maxtron makes but the store didnt have any in stock. Would have had to order it, so I took the 15w-40 they had.

I wonder what I should try for oil change intervals, since I am trying the synthetic? I took an oil sample of my old oil when I changed it this afternoon, so will send it in for analysis. It will be interesting to take another sample at my next oil change to see if the synthetic had any effect.

Last edited:
I have tried M1 5W-40 in my truck, a 2001 F-250 7.3. I didn't notice any better fuel economy, and the truck ran fine. I have returned to dino oil [10W-30 for winter, 15W-40 for the rest of the year] for cost/benefit reasons. With a 15 qt. sump, it's around $42-45 more each change for synthetic. I don't know that the OCI can be extended enough in this engine, with it's shear issues, to make it cost effective.

International recommends 10,000 mile ocis with the 7.3 in commercial vehicles with a few more qts oil capacity. Dino HDEO will go the distance ,syn will do it as well.

I got several 1 800 numbers off of different synthetic oil bottles at the store and call them to see what they would recommend. It was an interesting pitch from all of them. Then u can try out their answers on this webb site. I hve an old ford trk I use motorcraft blend synt. oil in, but I dont go 2000 mile a yr in it,,,my van i run mobile one

There'd be nothing but better results going from Rotella 15W-40 to synthetic 5W-40. You'll notice much easier start ups, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back