Old Purolator Premium Plus vs newest Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I just realized that I've got a pretty old Purolator Premium Plus oil filter sitting in my basement for my wife's Civic, I probably bought it at least 5 or 6 years ago, and it was from a place that probably had it sitting on their shelf for 3 or 4 years or more as well. Have they radically changed the design of these filters recently? If so, in what way are they now different compared to the one I've got?

It is essentially what Purolator sells as their Classic line now. Its a very good filter. The newer Classic is a little more efficient. The Purolator PureOne is their top of the line and it has upgrades like a silicone anti drainback valve and a more efficient media.

I run the Purolator Classic on my wifes Pontiac. If you are doing 5k mile oil changes then its a fine filter. As long as it looks free of rust inside, I say run it.

If it's that old, bot buy a new Purolator Classic at K-Mart for $3.50. Plus the new Classic is higher efficiency. IMO, not worth running a 5~8 year old filter. Just me.

A treasure. Send it to River Rat. I have been cutting up Purolator L10193's for about 10 years along with other cheaper filters. They all seem to have less media in them now. The string is now gone. I really wonder if the media is enough better now to make up for how much less there is. A filter can produce great initial results, but quickly clog up. How good of a job is it doing after 5000 miles?

It would really be interesting to compare it to the same number in a current classic.

The new ones are a bit better, but the old one is OK to use of it's not rusty or something.
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Here we have two Purolator L10193’s—new and old, and a non-Ecore STP equivalent, courtesy of labman. Thanks labman!

The new Purolator Classic (97.5% efficient) and old Purolator Premium Plus (96% efficient) have the same amount of media, approximately 100 square inches of surface area and 2.6 cu in total. The non-Ecore STP has about 144 sq in of surface area and also 2.6 cu in total…it’s thinner than the Purolators.
The flow rates were all quite good, and a tie for all three in the testing.

DSC01742.jpg

It does appear that the new Purolators have improved over the old ones. The New Purolator tied with the STP, and both were superior to the old Purolator:

Filtration results Left to Right: New “Purolator Classic”, (Non-Ecore) STP, Old Purolator “Premium Plus”
LtoR-NewPuronon-ecoreSTPOldPuro.jpg

These STP's if you can still find them, are very good.
The Puro media does appear to be improved from the old style (and it says so on their website)

Originally Posted By: labman
I really wonder if the media is enough better now to make up for how much less there is. A filter can produce great initial results, but quickly clog up. How good of a job is it doing after 5000 miles?

Same amount on these above. ~2.6 cu in. Should go fine for at least 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
If it's that old, bot buy a new Purolator Classic at K-Mart for $3.50. Plus the new Classic is higher efficiency. IMO, not worth running a 5~8 year old filter. Just me.

That old Purolator looks as good as new and we no longer have Kmarts in Canada (they left here in 97) and I haven't found anywhere that sells Purolator filters here anymore. I figure I might as well save some money by using up old stock in my basement in my wife's 2000 Civic. I'm running an old AC Delco filter in her car right now along with some old Schaeffer Supreme Blend (SL formula) I had laying around.

I have an older SuperTech that my girlfriend's dad gave me when I took over maintenance on her car, it's from 2005 and it was sitting in their garage the whole time. It still looks good as new, even though the box looks pretty beat up. I'll end up using it but I won't be using the AAP Total Grip he gave me since it has a dent in it. I would think that if it looks like it's in good shape and not rusting or anything, use it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back