Carquest any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking of taking advantage of the 5 quarts of Carquest house brand and an oil filter for 11.99 and stocking up for 4 or 5 oil changes.

I always hear that the house brands have a weaker additive package. Any opinions.....would be running 4k OCI's on a Jeep 3.7. Live in Cleveland and we are just about to hit the winter season. Is this oil/additive package decent or any good for this application.....and would i be sacrificing any engine wear or life using this oil..for this application........Thanks!!!!

Carquest.com.......promotions(winter sale).........second page of ad.

is the oil decent?

Hey at that price stock up brother. Im sure its good for 5k oil changes. I used to get ate up about motor oil and when to change it, which is best, what to avoid, which does my engine prefer, cheaper oils are not as good as a popular brand as the guy at the napa used to say. I have been down your road before and I have known people who went way past normal on their oil changes on cars and lawn mowers. Buy all the oil and filters you can afford and stock up your garage. I dont think the brand of the oil is a big deal, just change your oil when it is due. Drive safe and be safe!

Wix Red filters are the same as Napa ProSelect filters. Both filters are made by Wix to CarQuest and Napa's specs. CarQuest oil is bottled by Ashland, the same place where Valvoline comes from. Both the oil and the filters do just fine for a normal OCI. I use the ProSelect filter and Napa brand oil in my truck and gf's car and have had no problems at all with either one. I stocked up on filters and a case each of the Napa 10W30 and 5W20 and got a free ProSelect with each case a few months back. There's a CarQuest closer to my house than Napa, so I'll try to stock up on this deal before it ends.

Whatever differences there are between Napa or Carquest oil and name brand Valvoline oil are very minor and will not matter much at all. One thing that is different for me though, I change oil at or before 3000 miles. I guess you could go longer, but I have read and heard the ProSelect/Carquest Red filters should not be used past a maximum of 3500 miles.

Thanks for bringing this up. I had no idea CarQuest was running this sale.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Whatever differences there are between Napa or Carquest oil and name brand Valvoline oil are very minor and will not matter much at all. One thing that is different for me though, I change oil at or before 3000 miles. I guess you could go longer, but I have read and heard the ProSelect/Carquest Red filters should not be used past a maximum of 3500 miles.

Thanks for bringing this up. I had no idea CarQuest was running this sale.

Where have you seen this at on this site??? I use NapaProSelect for 5k oci's all the time! If this filer can't go past 3500, then it isn't as good as everyone on this site claims.

I read it in a reply in the oil filter forum a while back, maybe 7 or 8 months ago. Pete C., the guy who works for Wix had also posted on it. Maybe he was just kidding when he mentioned 3500 miles was pushing it for a ProSelect, I don't know. The way I understand it is the Napa Gold can go longer OCI's than the ProSelect can. It really doesn't matter much to me personally. I always change my oil at 3K anyway, and I believe the ProSelect/CarQuest Red is the best filter I can buy in the $3.00 price range.

Went to pick up the special last night and the store was closed... then i log on here and start reading about weaker additive packages in the house brand oils. Am I really losing anything or shortening the life of my engine or causing more wear using this oil with the supposed weaker add pack in my 3.7 jeep. Am i honestly just better going to wally world and picking up some PYB (which is what i use now) or QS for fairly cheap in the 5 qt container.
Bottom line.... am i really sacrificing and better off sticking with PYB for a 4000 OCI or doesn;t it matter?

I have switched totally to Pennzoil. Yellow bottle and Platinum. I would not switch at this time. I am moving away from Castrol simply because they are more expensive and I don't think castrol is better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jediwebmstr
Went to pick up the special last night and the store was closed... then i log on here and start reading about weaker additive packages in the house brand oils. Am I really losing anything or shortening the life of my engine or causing more wear using this oil with the supposed weaker add pack in my 3.7 jeep. Am i honestly just better going to wally world and picking up some PYB (which is what i use now) or QS for fairly cheap in the 5 qt container.
Bottom line.... am i really sacrificing and better off sticking with PYB for a 4000 OCI or doesn;t it matter?

The weaker additive pack in house brands is often conjecture from single shot VOA's. Not enough trending to back it up as factual I would call that a poorly supported hypothesis. I would not worry about it. The fact is if the oil meets the Manufacturer specs of GF4 or what ever then it is going to not cause any wear on the engine. Changing formulations for differnt labels would mean the blender would have to have seperate approvals for each formulation and carry different additive packages in inventory. I think additive packages are a supply chain driven issue that can change from batch to batch based on inventory but not on label.
The logistics required to switch formulations for differnt packages is going to be much more costly than the differnce in additive packages. It is down time and business value losses .
The logical thing is they keep up batch after batch until the run is done.

Originally Posted By: jediwebmstr

On my previous car i used Valvoline dino oil for the first 100,000 miles. After that i used Napa house-brand valvoline for the second 100,000 miles.

When i sold the car at 225,000 miles it was running excellent and had never burned, used, or leaked any oil.

I dont think ALL house-brands are equal, but as fas as the Ashland/Valvoline house-brands sold by Napa and Carquest, use them with confidence. They are quality products.

Napa and CQ brand oil are re-badged Valvoline. Like the others have said, use either one with complete confidence. I have been using them for what, a year and a half now and have had absolutely no problems at all. I get exactly the same performance, MPG and wear (by wear I mean burning oil-in my case, my truck will burn about 1/4 quart over 3000 miles) from Napa brand oil as I did from name brand Valvoline. It's Valvoline without the Valvoline price tag. I agree 110% with Bryan and Dan here. I tried about a year ago to find out straight from Valvoline if the private label oil was the same as Valvoline, but never did get a straight answer.

I stocked up Monday on the CQ oil and CQ Red filter sale. I hit 2 different stores for 20 quarts of 10W30 and 4 filters. Added to the Napa oil and Proselect filters I already had on hand from Napa's last good sale on their oil and I am set for the next year on oil changes. The CQ deal is one of the best oil sales I have seen in a long time.

Any opinions on O'reilly's house brand oil. They have 5qt containers for $9.95. Any difference between the Carquest/Napa and O'reilly's ?

So it MAY have a weaker additive package so what. Assuming you stay with you intended 4K OCI's it should be fine although I wouldn't go beyond 3K myself.

Just get a good filter to go the distance.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back