'05 Sunfire Timing Chain Broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step-daughter has an '05 Sunfire, 2.2L DOHC, 70K miles that she bought new. The timing chain just broke and the mechanic wants to replace the engine with a used 35K miles engine for $2000 total. I know nothing about the garage that's working on the car as she lives 60 miles away.

Isn't 70K early for a chain to fail? Any ideas as to why the early failure? Maintenance on the car has been average from what I can gather. For sure she does drive fast all the time.

Does replacing the engine make more sense than repairing the existing engine?
Thank you for any input.

the ecotec has some early ('99-'03IIRC) timing chain issues for saturn, there was a recall on them. but, AFAIK, '05 is not affected.
if it was ever run low on oil, or if crud blocked up the oil squirters, the chain can certainly fail.

Take it to GM and ask them if engines are to fail @ 70k?

No a timing chain @ 70k in ANY engine is beyond rare. I'd go talk to GM since they now have a 100k power train warranty and if they cared about keeping customers then they need to fix this engine.

Hopefully all the correct maintenance has been done and you have all the documents. I've gotten warranty service well past the original 3yr/36k period doing just that.

If it has NOT been maintained correctly then I'd look around for a better deal than $2000 for a 35k motor.

Very rare even in fleet vehicles with that engine.

Take care, Bill

+1 ecotecs are all over the place in yards because they just don't break. I'd try to get one for $800.

Wow. I thought the Ecotecs were bulletproof.
This is very dissappointing for what is supposed to be one of GM's best engines. I agree that if (and that's a BIG if) it has been properly maintained GM should make good on it.

"May the best cars win"

Correct- the quote is $2000 total to swap engines. I don't know if this is reasonable or not.

I have to go along with Bill in Utah. My bet is either a maintaince problem or a manufacturing defect. There are a ton of the Ecotecs out there, and very few reported timing chain problems.

I a very happy with my 02 Cavalier with the Ecotec. That is largely because in about 160K, I have had to do very little to the engine. Engine work on small FWD's is a PITA. A used engine might be the best solution.

whoops, I misread. I agree 2000 is an okay price. Might try ringing the junkyards directly to see if they can do the swap. Nice thing there is if their mechanics break something or find a problem with your motor they can just get another one and not tell a soul.
wink.gif

I can break any engine or trans very quickly.
First, start with low or bad oil.

But this 70k timing chain failure is unusual, under normal circumstances.

Last edited:
It looks like the 2.2 is an interference engine. So when the chain does go its causes a mess with the valves hitting the pistons and all.

Could her faster driving lead to increased oil consumption. Which if not checked could lead to low oil.

I have to admit that my Ecotec has used so little oil, I have gotten careless about checking it. But then my wife is fairly gentle with it and seldom lets me drive it.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Take it to GM and ask them if engines are to fail @ 70k?

No a timing chain @ 70k in ANY engine is beyond rare. I'd go talk to GM since they now have a 100k power train warranty and if they cared about keeping customers then they need to fix this engine.

Hopefully all the correct maintenance has been done and you have all the documents. I've gotten warranty service well past the original 3yr/36k period doing just that.

If it has NOT been maintained correctly then I'd look around for a better deal than $2000 for a 35k motor.

Very rare even in fleet vehicles with that engine.

Take care, Bill
The G M powertrain warranty has been changed on the 2010 models.

Sometimes if you take a car to the dealer, they will give you a huge discount on a replacement engine and R+R service in order to make up for their mistakes. So much so that the manufacturer loses money just to save its reputation.

I have lost track of how many times Mazda did this for RX-8 owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back