Best type of do-it-all grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there is lithium grease, moly disulfide grease, barium grease, calcium grease, polyurea grease, the list goes on. How many grease guns does one really need?

I know my grandfather had one grease gun with one kind of grease he used in everything that needed greasing. If you had to pick one kind of grease, what would be the best do-it-all grease?

The manual for my truck and motorcycle specify different greases for different components of the vehicles. Will it really cause a problem if you use a grease with the wrong base? The grease I have in my garage right now is listed as lithium complex 2. If you can't tell, I am new to grease lubricants.

I use M1 synthetic grease in everything. trailer wheel bearings, truck front end parts, jeep steering and drive line, and all parts of my snowmobiles. I even use it on my fifth wheel plate. I have never had a grease related problum.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I loveeeeeee the Mobil SHC 220.

I just bought some SHC 220 because it's easier for me to get than M1. What makes you like it over other products (like M1 or 707L)?

My, my, someone who knows what 707L is.

To start, 707L is probably my favorite mineral base oil grease.

I like the SHC 220 for several reasons:

1. Wide temp range.
2. Stays put. Use it on everything you can imagine.
3. Does not bleed out, both in the application and in the tube (I've had trouble with regular Mobil 1 grease bleeding from the tube if it sets for a long time).
4. Good friend of mine uses it in his construction company and he gives me a tube any time I need one.

Redline CV-2
Zero visible oil separation unlike Mobil 1, contains red moly, great load wear index, great water washout resistance, ridiculous 900 deg. dropping point, -100 to 500 deg. temp range.

Only downfall may be incompatibility with other greases due to the non-soap thickeners. But if it's you're go to grease then that really isn't an issue.

My, my, someone who knows what 707L is.

It's at my local K-Mart. A couple years ago when I moved here and surveyed my local grease options, it was the best stuff in town.

[SHC 220] Does not bleed out, both in the application and in the tube (I've had trouble with regular Mobil 1 grease bleeding from the tube if it sets for a long time).

That's good to know--I have had the same problem with M1. I haven't even opened my new SHC 220 tube yet.

Good friend of mine uses it in his construction company and he gives me a tube any time I need one.

I got my tube from McMaster. I just tacked it to one of my regular orders. After shipping, it's the same cost as M1, but it doesn't require me to drive two towns up the peninsula.

A lot of the greases mentioned in this tread look to be lithium complex. Is that truly the common denominator for a do it all grease?

I use the M1 grease as well. It does have separation issues when left sitting for a long time under pressure.

although the most popular grease is a lithium, I found the best all around performance grease is a calcium sulfonate. It is characterized by exceptional corrosion protection, high dropping point and mechanical stable. It contains no heavy metals or other harmful enviromentally desirable additives such as sulfur, phosphorus, chlorine, zinc, phenols, antimony, barium or lead.

Originally Posted By: jdean
although the most popular grease is a lithium, I found the best all around performance grease is a calcium sulfonate.

I agree

Lithium Complex. Look for one that meets Spicer's specifications for universal joints (whether you're uses include u-joints or not) and you've got a very suitable grease for overall vehicular usages...not "the best" for all purposes, but what grease is? Neither alumn complex nor calcium sulfonate are best for all uses either. There is a reason LC is called for by the mfg's for most purposes except sliders or C/V joints.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
There is a reason LC is called for by the mfg's for most purposes except sliders or C/V joints.

What's the reason, other than it's cheaper than a non-soap calcium grease?

Aluminum complex grease with moly.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I use the M1 grease as well. It does have separation issues when left sitting for a long time under pressure.
Seems most of the greases do that.

+2 on calcium sulfonate. I worked on a fleet of Mack trucks that we operated on a 20+ year replacement cycle. We switched to calcium sulfonate grease and saw our tie rod life quadruple. Same trucks, same parts, same crew doing PMs. Only the grease changed.
Today I use it on all front end parts, wheel bearings (including boat trailer), u joints, any place that grease gets recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back