Question for scooter owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not been able to ride motorcycles for a few years now. Is it any easier or should I say more comfortable to ride a large scooter then it is a motorcycle?

Long story short, I have trouble with my joints particularly from my lower back down to my feet. From experience riding a traditional motorcycle is out. Either my knee will start hurting or my hip will bother me so I simply cannot stay in that position. I'm wondering if a scooter without the tank and engine between my knees would be more comfortable for me? It would have to be a larger scooter capable of highway speeds since I live in a rural area.

Try the Buddy 125 or Buddy 150 (genuine scooter co.). Fast enough for highway but small and light and sit in traditional (non-motorcycle) position. Known to be very reliable relative to other brands.

Off topic but I saw a guy riding one of these the other day. It's human powered by leaning. He was going maybe 20 mph effortlessly. Good workout for those lower joints! They cost about $250. If it was spring I would buy one as it looked like a blast.

http://www.trikke.com/

I really don't think it would help that much as the seating position is very similar to a cruiser. Feet and arms forward equals more weight on the lower back. I have a Stella/Vespa PX150, BTW.
I find a more sporting bike takes some of the load off my lower back and I have my legs under me also which helps. I'm 6'3" with a long torso, so what works for me may not work for others.
HTH

Compared to a good cruiser, you would not get much more comfort on a scooter. I have a bad knee and my lower back is not great, but its always my butt that hurts when riding not my back or knee. Id get a small to medium cruiser, install a windshield, and get a really cushy seat for max riding comfort.

A sportster/V Star 650/ Vulcan 500 ect sized cruiser would be my pick.

Last edited:
I should have made this a bit more clear. There is no chance I will be able to safely ride any cruiser. I took a look at the Yamaha boulevard line 4 or 5 years ago. I could not safely stop a cruiser from falling over to my left side if I wanted too. I had most of the tendons in my left knee removed about 8 years ago so its a bit weak when bent especially at 90 degrees. Although its allot better then before I had surgery I cannot risk hurting it to save a heavy motorcycle or stand one up. While looking at the Boulevards I found I could not even stand the bike up straight from its kick stand without pain if I was not towering over it, basicly using my back and that was a mid sized bike at that. Add to that I have pain in my left hip so I cannot have a tank between my knees.

If a scooter is out I have been thinking of looking at the sports bikes but again I'm not sure about having my knee bent. I have full range of motion but does not like to stay in a bent possition for long. I have a heck of a time driving my 67 VW for long periods. In a car with cruise control I am fine for long rides since I can move my legs around while driving.

Well there are some 250cc cruisers that weigh under 350 lbs and are easy to manuever. The V Star 250, Honda Rebel, the Suzuki GZ 250 and TU 250 are all capable of going on the country roads. There is also the Kawasaki Ninja 250 out there. I would prefer those to a scooter as they have higher top ends.

If you must go scooter, the Suzuki Bergmann line is probably the best shot.

Cruisers are out, knee and hip don't like them at any size. Its either scooter or sport. If the position on a large scooter doesn't work then that would leave sport.

Well as for sport bikes I really like the Kawasaki EX500/Ninja 500. Built tough, smooth riding, decent power, and it has a good track record.

Hi,
I have a large (650) and heavy scooter, it is a dream to ride and beats the Sports bikes my Sons have for comfort - for me. It will do 100mph with ease! It is a heavy at 238kg but handles like a Sports bike

I suggest that you try out a 150 and 250 Scooter of any and many Brands and I'm confident you'll like they way they ride and handle. Getting on and off should be a breeze

One thing that might help with a scooter is the CVT. Simple twist and go - no shifting required. If your knee bothers you when shifting, this problem would be eliminated.

Some of the larger scooters with floorboards have a much wider variety of foot positions - vs pegs only.

If you are going to go with a scooter (and I speak from personal experience) get a good name = Honda, Yamaha, etc.... I went through several of the chinese scooters and won't go back. I still have a 2-stroker i'm playing with, but there's really no comparison between these and a Japanese scooter quality wise. I love my Honda Metropolitan, but you're looking for something larger than it.

Oh, did I mention that they (scooters) are much lighter?

Last edited:
Hello to all! This is my very first post. I have been lurking for years and really enjoy the knowledge. I would like to reply to you TaterandNoodles. I have been riding for over 30 years and have owned 8 motorcycle and 2 scooters. At this time I have a Vulcan 800 Cruiser and a Suzuki Burgman 400. It goes plenty fast on the freeway. I have had it up to 90 passing a truck. I am 5’9“and 200 pounds. Let me say hands down the Suzuki Burgman is the most comfortable and truly fun two wheels I have ever owned. Most likely the best ones to look at are the Japanese (Honda Suzuki Yamaha) and Taiwan Scooters such as (Kymco). Good luck on your search to ride again. I am sorry for your knee problems, Best of Luck!

Hi,
vulcan800 - Firstly welcom to BITOG - enjoy your stsy

Your comments about your Burgman are echoed by me. It is a truly wonderful bike and attracts a lot of attention. I am so please I purchased one

Recently when in Europe I noticed quite a number too - many ridden by females!

OK, let me give my 2cents.

First of all, I have owned numerous motorcycles, from the little 250cc Yamaha Virago up to the Honda Goldwing 1800. I currently own two scooters, one is a Kymco XCiting 250 and the other is a Burgman 650.

To answer the OP, the scooter will be easier on you for a couple reasons.

1 - You have a variety of foot/leg positions. Unlike a motorcycle where you have one foot peg, and maybe a highway peg, the scooters I am familiar with all have long floorboards that let you move your feet around. I used to get knee pain from the fixed position of my feet on motorcycles.... no more.

2 - A scooter is probably going to be lighter on you and so easier to move around. My Burgman 650 is a touring scooter capable of fast (75 and higher) highway speeds, and is lighter than the last 4 motorcycles I owned.

3 - Scooters tend to have low centers of gravity. Big reason here is smaller wheels, putting the weight a little closer to the ground. This contributes to them being easier to move and hold upright.

4 - The step-through design makes it much easier to get on. No longer do you have to throw a leg over the whole bike to saddle-up. This actually took me a little bit to get used to.

I truly believe you will have less knee pain with a scooter. Hip pain, on the other hand, not so sure about. It would probably depend on the specific scooter you rode. If you can find a dealer with a used Burgman they should let you test ride it. Other big scooters that you might find acceptable include the Honda Silverwing (600cc) and the Kymco XCiting 500. All of the bigger scooters should do you fine on the highway. The Honda DN-01 that was earlier referenced is not a scooter, it is a motorcycle that happens to have an automatic tranny. As such it does not have many of the scooter advantages that I pointed out here.

BTW, some motorcyclists demonstrate an aversion to scooters. They just haven't ridden any.

Good luck,
Vic

the easiest and most fun of all to ride will be the (aprilia) piaggio mp3 250,400 and 500.= THREE WHEELS!...but you have to pay to play.

also,don't overlook aprilias "normal" scooters. they are massively popular in europe and for a good reason.

go to AF1racing and have a look.

i don't own a scooter but i hope you don't mind my three wheel solution.you certainly won't have to use your legs much.

i saw three of them following each other speeding around making all kinds of maneuvers and they seem like a real blast.

I appreciate everyones input. I have looked at a Burgman on and off for the last 2 years or so. I have had a chance to look at the Piaggio MP3 as well. We have had a few in the parking area at work a few times. I need to go over to a dealer and spend some time sitting on one to see if I can stay comfortable on it. I normally have a bit of trouble once I have traveled between 1 block and a few miles. It may seem a bit strange since I can ride a bicycle just fine. The combination of position and constant movement works to my advantage.

Johnny, I live in a very rural area. Putzing along at 35mph is a bad idea on rural roads, although we do have a few. I would need to be able to travel at highway speeds to be safe. The Burgman and Silverwing are 2 I would look at 1st more then likely. The ability to ride one to work (50 miles one way) would be nice. I don't know that I would do it but the option would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back