Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a Virgin and a 7500 mile RP 5W20 VOA/UOA comparison done on my 5.4L 3V that provides some insight. The VOA numbers differ from what RP advertises... I have no explanation for that, but viscosity and TBN retention were very nice

Royal Purple 5W20 SL (same batch each test). UOA done by Wearcheck.

Silicon: 0/19
Potassium: 8.5/5/1
Sodium: 7.1/15
Fuel %: 0/ Glycol: 0/0
Water: Sulfation: 0/23% of max
Nitration: 0/16 % of max
Boron: 14/5.9
Barium: 1.3/0
Calcium: 2524/2280
Magnesium: 1252/1164
Moly: 170/118
Phosphorus: 872/825
Zinc: 862/908
Vis @ 40C: 50.83/--
Vis @ 100C: 9.31 cSt/8.9 cSt
VI: 168/--
Oxidation:0/27 % of max
TBN: 13.6/10.0
Iron: 3.7/28
Nickel: 0.5/0.5
Chromium: 0/1.7
Titanium: 0/0.2
Copper: 0.1/4.4
Aluminum: 1.3/5.3
Lead 1.4/0
All other values: 0

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
12.3 @ 110 Underdrive Pulleys, Intake and Tune, 4.10 Gears, Longtube Headers, Delete Plates, Drag Radials, Upper/lower Control Arms, Aluminum Driveshaft, 3500 Stall Torque Converter

Wow, hardly a "stocker". I know a few hot Stangs, and they love to say how it's all stock. It's ok, because hot rodders have been sandbagging for years.

The ET's are very impressive, but why the seemingly low trap speed? Can you please provide D/A for those runs?

My absolutely stock 4400 pound Whale can trap 111, admittedly under ideal conditions. But exactly as delivered from the showroom.

I am working on that, the shift points are causing some of my loss in trap speed, but remember that if you look at my 60' and 1/8 mile times you can see where the mustang makes up in ET where it lacks in Trap speed.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Shearing wouldn't bother me as long as the wear was good and my engine was as clean as this one.

2k05gt, RP specs their 5w20 at 8.7cst @100c, so it held up well for you. I suspect 'shearing' problems with RP are more due to fuel dilution that Blackstone is not catching due to their method of measuring it.

But on the UOA how or where do you see shearing, is there a formula to determine whether the oil sheared or not.

You say that RP shears with dilution of fuel, would'nt other oils do the same? fuel breaks down oil so I would think that all oils do this., am I wrong?

I am sorry for the qiestions but I am trying to learn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
But on the UOA how or where do you see shearing, is there a formula to determine whether the oil sheared or not.

Shearing is indicated by a significant loss of the original viscosity. If it drops, it either sheared down or was diluted by oil/water, etc...

Last edited:
I am working on that, the shift points are causing some of my loss in trap speed, but remember that if you look at my 60' and 1/8 mile times you can see where the mustang makes up in ET where it lacks in Trap speed.

What is your 1/8 mile ET/trap?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The ET's are very impressive, but why the seemingly low trap speed? Can you please provide D/A for those runs?

My absolutely stock 4400 pound Whale can trap 111, admittedly under ideal conditions. But exactly as delivered from the showroom.

Very nice. That's one of the reasons for my focus on the trap. It's much less affected by the driver, etc.

Note that on my car you trade trap for ET, with my aftermarket tune I have run a 12.64 but only trapped at 109. If I get loose out of the hole I almost always trap higher, I have got 112 in negative D/A.

Nice runs. I'd still like to know the D/A. I'm no fan of corrected times but it does help with evaluation.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Sorry, but basic bolt-ons plus a moderate stall speed torque converter is not "heavily" modified. Far from it...

Have you actually done it yourself? Because most of the SRT8 Challengers and Chargers are 106 mph cars at best at my local drag strip. This is at an elevation of 60 ft. above sea level as well.

I've seen the video of the "stock" 300C SRT8 going high 12s @ 110-111, but after seeing dozens of the 6.1 Hemis in action personally, I've yet to see a stock one perform anything close to that. I've driven bolt-on N/A 2Vs to easy victories over tune/exhaust SRT8 Challengers at the strip.

I think what you had with that 300C was a factory freak along with mineshaft air (-2000' DA or better) and a very well prepped drag strip. An aligning of the planets as it were.

I can't speak to your experiences, good for you.

I have a vid of a 2005 SRT8 running a 12.54, also stock. The night I ran that 12.89 at 111, I had a Charger SRT8 there that ran a 12.66. I backed it up with a 13.0, and two 13.1's. About a 1.89 sixty foot. As delivered. All original, 700 miles.

Since a Challenger in SRT trim weighs about the same as my car I wouldn't brag too much about a better ET. You've probably got a THOUSAND pounds less weight. And you're a major sandbagger! Modded driveline (TC) is not stock!

But lets try a run from about 55-60. SRT8's are a lot tougher on the top, they're basically a luxury car, probably never going to beat a (ahem) "mildly modified" Stang at the strip.

""""12.3 @ 110 Underdrive Pulleys, Intake and Tune, 4.10 Gears, Longtube Headers, Delete Plates, Drag Radials, Upper/lower Control Arms, Aluminum Driveshaft, 3500 Stall Torque Converter

Wow, hardly a "stocker". I know a few hot Stangs, and they love to say how it's all stock. It's ok, because hot rodders have been sandbagging for years.""""

Well, that kind of says it all, doesn't it??

Maybe for your next outing, you can apply RP on the inside of a rocker panel and M1 on the other rocker panel, and see how long it takes one to rust out??

Steve

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

What is your 1/8 mile ET/trap?

I average "Back to the Future" times 88 mph

The DA for these runs were -200 ft the Track sits at 90' above sea level
it warmed up a bit by noon so the DA dropped closer to sea level.

I always try to use S197 as my race number
best-times.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I've tried Mobil 1, Amsoil, RP and Valvoline Syntech. Out of that group, I felt the RP worked best in my vehicle and it is what I continue to use. I also use teir ATF and PS fluids.

What do you mean by "I felt" the RP worked best? Just curious. Noise?

butt dyno.. that's good. You must be from San Francisco.

Sorry for the subjective nature of my comments. What I meant was that the vehicle ran smoother, especially during acceleration and I saw about a 2 mpg improvement in economy.

I may try RedLine at some point as I used to use it in my motorcycle, but no one carries it here. I remain a fan of the RedLine SI-1 f.i. cleaner though.

Originally Posted By: MMasz
butt dyno.. that's good. You must be from San Francisco.

Thanks guys, LOL I just shot Killians Red out my nose... What a waste of good beer.

Originally Posted By: MMasz

Sorry for the subjective nature of my comments. What I meant was that the vehicle ran smoother, especially during acceleration and I saw about a 2 mpg improvement in economy.

I may try RedLine at some point as I used to use it in my motorcycle, but no one carries it here. I remain a fan of the RedLine SI-1 f.i. cleaner though.

This is what a guy at work told me as well when he put Royal Purple in his Cadillac.

I personally did not notice any change in Milage or operations of the engine, but then again it's been tuned to it's max potential so there would not be much room there anyway

Last edited:
I just read through this entire thread again. Royal Purple claims (I think) that their additive technology has a micro polishing effect. Maybe it's not just marketing?

It's all in the additives.

I`ll say this,when I ran the RP 20W50,my engine revved sooooooooo smooth and effortlessly that one night I remember I was trying to merge onto the interstate from a red light and I was spinning the rear wheels all the way into 4th gear trying to jump ahead of the pack. Is RP overkill,maybe,and only hard-core trackers/racers probably need it,but it`s definitely a GOOD oil! And when I was using it my engine`s internals through the oil fill hold looked like a mirror they were so clean. I have three cases of it,so I`ll save it for my middle of the summer heat oci`s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back