Proper way to dispose of old gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
How about a wennie roast with a gas-fire?
I'd be afraid that the bad gasoline would produce more pollutants, and I fear those pollutants would make the hot dog taste bad, or worse, give me a disease related to hazardous chemicals.

Starting fires with gas is not a good idea. If you must tone it down with a 70/30 mix of kerosene/diesel/used oil and gas. It burns hotter, longer and it won't go "poof" and melt your face off when you go to light it. The forstery service uses this mix in the drip torches it burns well, lights well and it (relatively) safe. And if you DO burn your face off please don't sue me....I don't have much.

Old gas is great weed killer.
I used some that had been in a can from the 70's to do it last time. Didn't even look like gas we have now days. Was dark gold.
I poured it on some weeds in the cement, they died and browned almost instantly, I've never seen any greenery die so quick.

I'd honestly burn it as 2cycle, or in a lawnmower.

+1

My mom once had a lawn mower that was almost impossible to start. It was taken into a small engine repair shop, and all they had to do was run their fuel through and it started easily.

Bad gasoline shouldn't be used in any engine.

Id use it to start some fires if you need to burn up some logs or whatnot (do this in a VERY controlled way), or else filter it through carefully and slowly blend it into the lawnmower.

I use old gas for a parts cleaner. I also use it to start brush piles on fire. If no fires are foreseen, then I pour it on news paper and light it off in my dirt drive way

According to the MSDS, unleaded gasoline is readily biodegradable. I wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to filter it and then use it in a mower or car. I'd burn it or use it as a weed killer as others say. If you pour it in the ground, don't do it all at once. Use it slowly over some weeks to give it time to biodegrade.

Place it in an open container and set it outside in a safe place. It will evaporate.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
If you have a charcoal BBQ grill, you could save it to use (very sparingly, of course) as lighter fluid.

That is the best answer I can think of. Got a barrel of some sort? Some empty cereal boxes and newspapers? Add one to the other and with the aid of an ounce or two of fuel(gasoline or diesel) have a fire.

Does it not seem odd, that there are two gas stations on every block but nowhere to dispose of a gallon of old fuel from time to time?

Once a month, my local landfill has a day where you can bring in any type of hazardous household chemical and have them dispose of it. I disposed of one gallon of expired gasoline that was supposed to go in a lawn mower.

Even though I had all 4 windows down and the A/C at full speed on fresh air mode, the gasoline vapors gave me a headache after 30 minutes of driving.

Originally Posted By: LAGA
Place it in an open container and set it outside in a safe place. It will evaporate.

That's the official answer in Australia as well (same for pain, let it dry out and throw it out).

Use it on weeds on the footpath and get the same effect, but more utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back