Diesel fuel as engine flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen some references to using about 25% Diesel fuel as an engine flush. Maybe 10 minutes @ 1000 RPM idle then drain.
I have stuck oil rings on 2001 Corolla. Used Rislone, Bardhal, CD2, Gunk Flush and now on a full OCI of 25% MMO.

All ears here.
Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Seen some references to using about 25% Diesel fuel as an engine flush. Maybe 10 minute 1000 RPM idle then drain.
I have stuck oil rings on 2001 Corolla. Used Rislone, Bardhal, CD2, Gunk Flush and now on a full OCI of 25% MMO.

All ears here.
Thanks

I would keep using the 25% MMO, as far as engine flushes go Amsoil Engine Flush is a good product, how long have you had the 25% MMO in your oil.

You may want to PM JohnBrowning, he is a member here who is very knowledgeable, I will PM him and ask him to look at this thread.

Seen some references to using about 25% Diesel fuel as an engine flush. Maybe 10 minutes @ 1000 RPM idle then drain.

All ears here.
Thanks

It might work, MMO will work if you follow directions, why gamble? Or get a good flush and use that. JMO

Thanks c3po, your threads seem pretty sharp too.

Had it in for 2400 kms. about 1400 miles.
This engine has 206000 Kms about 160000 miles.

Last edited:
Get some Amsoil Power Foam and spray it directly into the intake/and or the spark plug holes. Let it sit for several hours, if you can get it down to the rings it will dissolve the carbon/calcium from the rings and lands.

How do you know you have stuck rings? I'd rather use something that has been proven to be suitable for use in oil... To me that means arx, mmo, neutra, etc.

If you have time to let it sit and not drive it for a few days, then ATF is your solution. Remove the plugs, and add some atf to the cylinders. Let it sit for at least 2 days. A week is better if you can wait that long. Next get a mighty vac, or a brake vacuum unit for fluid flushes. Stick the clear tubing in the plug hole and suck the atf out of the cylinders. After you get as much out as you can doing this method, disable the fuel system, by removing the EFI relay, and the spark by unplugging the coils, and crank the car with the plugs removed for a few seconds to remove any additional atf that was still in the cylinders. Reinstall the plugs, Coils, and EFI relay. Start the car outside, not in a garage, because it is going to smoke for a few minutes, as the excess atf burns off. Go for a road test, and BEAT ON IT for a few minutes. This should unstick your rings. I have had great success with this method on older Corolla's, and some motorcycles. It may take like 2 quarts or so of atf to do this. You can also sub MMO for ATF if you like, but I've only done this with ATF. After the road test, I'd also change the oil right away, incase any ATF leaked past the rings.

Let us know how you make out,
Justin

better to use kerosene, kerosene is more oily than diesel, has longer carbon chains, and is safer than diesel fuel. i trust that more than mmo at 25%. mmo is more of a solvent than an oil, and as such is just overpriced Stoddard solvent. Better to just buy kerosene, drain one quart, replace with kerosene, and run for 10 minutes and 1000 rpm.

MMO seems to have a good following on here, and it is easy to get. I'd just do several 3k changes with 25% MMO, and it will hopefully gradually clean up the engine without having to pull plugs, etc......

First how handy are you? If you can remove the spark plugs then one great method is to soak the pistons directly over night with solvent. With the engine cold as in not having been run at all that day remove the plugs. Then put about 2 onces of B12 chemtool in each cylinder let it sit about 5 minutes then put a 19mm socket on the end of a breaker bar or large rachet. Turn the crank by hand. I would disconcet the battery before doing that.Refill after ward and then put a towel over the top of it and leave it to soak over night. The next day hand turn the crnak about 5 times to make sure any excess has either been blown out or leaked past the rings. Start and once it stops smoking change oil and filter. Refill with one of the following oils Redline 5W30 or M1 0W40 and run for a normal OCI and see how things are.I would continue to run M1 0W40 or Redline 5W30 for the next 2 years with 6 month-9 month oil change intervals.

If you are not handy then one of two of the follow is in order either buy a gallon of Lube COntrol 20 and follow my advice or buy a bottle of Auto-Rx and follow franks advice.

The disel fuel flush is a waste of time as you have already used enough solvents between the Gunk Flush which has a lot of Kerosine in it and the MMO. Diesel and Kerosine are old school flush's for realatively clean engines. Older oils where very dirty and people often had to flush at each oil change or at every other oil change to keep the engine clean. We are talking 1940-1960's type of thing.Often 1 quart of kerosine or diesel would be added to the oil at oil change time. The probelm is getting the solvents in high enough concentration to the rings to break up the carbon and varnish sticking the rings.

This particular Toyota Corolla engine from 99 to 02 had insufficient oil holes on the piston skirt. The oilring fouls sticks and allows oil into the combustion chamber.
This is quite common on higher Corollas that did not get frequent Syn. changes IMO.
Thank You

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
better to use kerosene, kerosene is more oily than diesel, has longer carbon chains, and is safer than diesel fuel. i trust that more than mmo at 25%. mmo is more of a solvent than an oil, and as such is just overpriced Stoddard solvent. Better to just buy kerosene, drain one quart, replace with kerosene, and run for 10 minutes and 1000 rpm.

Really, try running 25% diesel oil for 3000-5000 mile OCI. I know MMO will hold up just fine, in fact I'm positive it will since I've done it for decades on several occasions. I'd use qt in place of 1 qt of oil, stick to the directions. Save the Kerosene for lamps, and heaters. If you want to do a fast flush Amsoil makes a really good one. JMO

This particular Toyota Corolla engine from 99 to 02 had insufficient oil holes on the piston skirt. The oilring fouls sticks and allows oil into the combustion chamber.
This is quite common on higher mileage Corollas that did not get frequent Syn. changes IMO.
Thank You

Edited Typo.

Last edited:
Thanks John, I'm handy mechanically and will try your advice on the next OCI. We don't seem to have that B12 Chemtool up here. Like they don't even allow us to have MMO up here. I got lucky last year & saw a bottle of MMO on the shelf at Canadian Tire & snapped it up. Used some on a US road trip about 30 years ago in a Dodge slant six. Even my sweetie noticed the performance improvement.

Last edited:
Thanks Justin, don,t really have the luxury of letting it sit for days till summer vacation. I like the method you describe & come summer if she still burns oil will try it.

Thanks Demarpaint, my CDN MMO purchase seems to have been a one shot deal as it can't be found up here. It's on my next shopping list for cross border shopping.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
Thanks Captain Klink, I can see me try that kerosene it's not a Bentley.
You take care over there.

Thanks hate2work, we don't have that Amsol up here. We have Seafoam which I used in the brake booster hose last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back