Thinking Diesel Noise ? ( After Cold Night )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hey Guys,

My MZ3 2.3L created today a ticking like diesel noise after being outside for a night ...

120K Km on Engine
500Km on OIL ASM 0w20
Pure1 Filter
Temperature over night my guess it was like -10C ( Feels like -20C )

Should I try different oil something like Redline 0w20 I think it has better cold flow.

Or maybe a different filter I have RP Filters.

BTW Noise went away after 800Meters drive ...

Thank you for your opinions.

Last edited:
Don't know how it sounds ....
What is the cause of Piston Slap ?

My old Subie makes a lot of noise when cold. When I first got it two years ago I researched the noise, and found an article stating something about a shorter-designed piston skirt being the culprit. I'm not sure exactly how this causes the noise, but I do remember back to my college days learning about slow/med speed diesel designs, and learning that longer piston skirts meant heavier, smoother operating, while shorter meant lighter and louder.

The lighter the rotating assembly, the higher the potential output and durability due to less momentum and momentum shifts.

Last edited:
0W-20 flows fine at -20°C. Could have been belts, piston slap, injectors, or many other moving parts that have nothing to do with oil or filter. Stuff just makes new noises when it's cold.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Do nothing...it's cold outside

+1 especially since the noise goes away in a quarter mile.

There is NOTHING that Redline is going to do that Amsoil can not do at -20c. PERIOD.

Slight chance its a filter issue.

Most likely is just COLD.

Bill

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Try the filter first...
+1 on the filter. I had to pull a pureone (bosch by purolator) due to cold startup noise on 0w30 AFE. All excessive racket went away with a purolator classic. Not a fan of high efficiency (beta) rated filters in small form factors for winter use; At the very least I can state my toyota doesnt like it. Do though, expect some racket on a sub-freezing start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back