Wheelies and Oil Starvation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a sport bike but rather a cruiser so I sure don't do any wheelies but I was thinking about it today. I have a lot of friends who ride sport bikes and I know wheelies are very popular among many of them. Some of the guys with liter bikes can do full, almost vertical wheelies for long periods of time. Just search Youtube is you don't know what I am talking about. Anyway, my question is how do these engines keep from getting damaged due to oil starvation. Have the manufacturers addressed this issue in designing the engines?

Some bikes are prone to oil starvation like my SV650 and Suzuki issued a advisory to limit wheelies on this bike. You just have to know which bikes have a problem and don't do wheelies on them or buy another bike if you can't resist.

Hi,
my Burgman has an oil level indicator. Even when full it will come on on steep gradients - probably around 12%. I suspect that there will be a risk of cavitation if not starvation in these cases. It is all a matter of duration I suspect

Some of the newer bikes like the GSX-R's have an oil pick up design that take wheelies in to account.

They also make after market oil pans and baffles for the stunt guys that allow oil flow and extreme angles.

Some just overfill the oil level.

Like said above some bikes do not wheelie well. I have personally seen a guy trash his motor due to oil starvation from a long wheelie.

My bike (Suzuki TL 1000) also has a history of messed up motors from long wheelies.

From what I know some engine designs will have problems if this is something you do frequently.... do some research before you buy if thats your gig.

i say just keep both wheels on the ground. You can steer the bike better...although I have seen guys go around curves on one wheel.

just not my thing

Dry sumps are good for wheelies - that's why the TT500/TT600 was better for wheelies than the wet sump XR500.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
Some of the newer bikes like the GSX-R's have an oil pick up design that take wheelies in to account.

They also make after market oil pans and baffles for the stunt guys that allow oil flow and extreme angles.

Some just overfill the oil level.

Like said above some bikes do not wheelie well. I have personally seen a guy trash his motor due to oil starvation from a long wheelie.

very good anser, most stunters drop the pan and put on a longer oil pickup for older model bikes, and some newer models, But most the newer bikes dont require it as the factory addresses this issue. .back in the day I overfilled my 03 CBR and i had the front wheel off the ground many times for 1/3-1/2 mile wheelies.. motor never failed. just by adding an extra 1/4 of a qrt. I dont stunt anymore.. grew out of that phase, but still know a few guys that do, the extended oil pickup is still the prefered safest bet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
rraider - My youngest son has two GSX-Rs - one a dedicated race bike and the other for sports-road use

I'll ask him about the oil pickup on his bikes

What year and size are they? How does he like them?

I am running an 08 750 for track days but may be moving to the new Aprilia RSV4.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
rraider - My youngest son has two GSX-Rs - one a dedicated race bike and the other for sports-road use

I'll ask him about the oil pickup on his bikes

What year and size are they? How does he like them?

I am running an 08 750 for track days but may be moving to the new Aprilia RSV4.

Would LOVE to have a RSV4... the RC8 is going to be a tool to contend with down the road too.

My experience tells me that the squids who do wheelies on crotch rockets are really not concerned with oil starvation, maintenance, personal safety or early death. So, it's just a guess that lubrication issues are way at the bottom of the list if even on the list at all.

Originally Posted By: PT1
My experience tells me that the squids who do wheelies on crotch rockets are really not concerned with oil starvation, maintenance, personal safety or early death. So, it's just a guess that lubrication issues are way at the bottom of the list if even on the list at all.

that may be true for some, but it does not apply to all.

Last edited:
Hi,
rraiderr - He bought a new 650 a few years ago and liked it so much he's bought a new 750 or two (latest is 09). Then he purchased an almost new (08) "written off" 750 nearly a year or so ago and rebuilt it as the "racer"

He has not modified the lubrication system in any way - he uses Shell Advance Ultra 4 10W-40 SG/MA full synthetic in his engines. He is quite a Gizzer fan!

My four sons were all "brought up" around motorbikes as I was

Sounds like he is having a blast.

The 750 is a great track bike. If you take care of them they run for a long time.

I have friends with over 30000 track miles on their 750's and no signs of issues.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: PT1

that may be true for some, but it does not apply to all.

Yeah, true but the "some" I see around here would be about 99% of them. The no helmet, wrap around orange sunglasses, high top basketball shoes, shorts and optional shirt or sleeveless shirt is the dead giveaway. I mean dead giveaway in the literal sense.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
At least yours wear high top basketball shoes. Here they just have those rubber thong sandals.

Sandals don't have enough grip to be able to stand up on the seat at 85mph on I-77...not kidding...but I forgot to mention...no socks with the hi-tops.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back