aluminum bore briggs-expected life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the snow series max engines have cast iron cylinder sleeves while the regular snow series have aluminum sleeves. Also most of the industrial have C.I. sleeves. What is the expected life of a well maintained aluminum sleeved engine on a snowblower compared to a iron sleeved version? Why did they switch? Last I was aware all b&s engines were C.I sleeved. Why switch? Let me guess....cheeper to produce??

Interesting, but keep in mind how few hours the average snowblower gets used a year. Probably less than 20. Like most Briggs engines, I'm sure the vast majority will die of neglect, not from loss of compression due to premature wear of the cylinder.

I agree bepperb. I used to maintain Dad's OPE when I lived with him. None of the OPE engines I (over) maintained for a dozen or so years showed any sign of wearing out (smoking, oil consumption, loss of power, etc...) while I ran or maintained any of them.

He's on his own now and doesn't maintain them as well as I did, but I'm still waiting for the phone call where he tells me one of the engines blew up or otherwise died. I suspect that call will never come.

I agree that the average snowbloweris not used all that much however the 32" ariens pro series uses the 342cc snowmax aluminum sleeve engine. Being the "professional" equpiment it is labeled as most equipment would be used for say 6 to 8 hours per storm and about 80 or more hours per year. As in a snow removal business. I would expect it to last through at least 10 years of service. Is that unreasonable? If Briggs offers the better "max" engine it seems to me that should be the one offered on the ariens pro snowblowers. Unless the benefits of the aluminum sleeve outweigh the shorter life....

It looks as if the Max engine blocks are aluminum with a C.I. sleeve. Whereas the regular snow series are all aluminum without a sleeve...(Not time tested long enough for me).

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Briggs & Stratton Snow Series Engines do not have a cast iron cylinder sleeve. You have to get the Snow Series Max series in order to get a cast iron cylinder sleeve. I just purchased a Ariens Deluxe 24 and had the choice of a Briggs Snow Series engine or a Subaru. No brainer - the Subaru has a cast iron sleeve. It's disgraceful how much some stuff has been cheapened....

I bought it about 10 days ago. I assused (bad idea) that because it was a B&S it was top quality expecially since it was the pro model ariens. I never would have imagned it used amuninum. Not that I have any problems with it but.....an aluminum sleeve?!?! How long have these engines been out? i wont be happy if I have to repower in 5 years.....I feel sick.

I don't think it has a sleeve..it's just an aluminum bore. The reason they use a aluminum block is because it's lighter... and the reason they use a C.I. sleeve is because aluminum is soft and is not wear resistant.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an aluminum bore engine. Lawnmower engines are aluminum bore and go for thousands of hours, you have nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted By: morrison250r
I bought it about 10 days ago. I assused (bad idea) that because it was a B&S it was top quality expecially since it was the pro model ariens. I never would have imagned it used amuninum. Not that I have any problems with it but.....an aluminum sleeve?!?! How long have these engines been out? i wont be happy if I have to repower in 5 years.....I feel sick.

Aluminium is soft, and does not wear well. On a snowblower they don't get as hot as a summer use motor, so you should be fine. Any type of commercial work is a no-no. My experience with B&S goes back many years to the side valve engine, and I found they did not last very long. I have a 23 year old Honda blower that has never needed one repair since I bought it. THe price of these is now in the riduculus range, and I would not pay it even though they are good quality.

Not sure what everyon means by "Didn't last very long" What exactly didn't last very long? I mean seriously, if you remember my "killing a briggs" thread from a couple months ago, the dang thing wouldn't die. And it was BAAAADLY scored. But it ran. The aluminum bore snowblower will run just as long as the Iron bore, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

I just don't see why ariens didn't offer the snowseries max on their professional snowblower, even if it cost me more. After all thats why I bought it, because I thought it was the best quality and would last longest. I guess it is my fault for confusing "professional" with "commercial" Other than that it is gteat. I guess I'm just upset that B&S even offers a aluminum sleeved engine and ariens chose to use it expecially on a "professional" snowblower when they(B&S) offer an alternative(s.s. max). How much more would have cost to do it right?! Time will tell how long it will last. 10 hours so far.

Morrison250r, I can understand your disappointment ... but don't give up on your aluminum-bore engine just yet. Isn't the aluminum fortified with a nickel-silicon coating for durability?

OPE engines are typically neglected/abused. The cast iron liner is more tolerant of this abuse ... but you are going to maintain your machine to a fine degree, correct?

I think with oil changes every 20-25 hours, the thing will have a very long life. And when it starts to show signs of aging (oil consumption, smoke and possible loss of power) these symptoms are likely to come on gradually, giving you a great amount of warning before a replacement engine will have to be sourced.

Oh, and give more thought to the use of a lube in your fuel to provide a little more ring-against-liner wear protection.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back