What viscosity for an 02 Forester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend didn't get an owners manual with her used Forester. Looking on A-Zones site it shows 5w30 if its like -20F and 10w30 or 10w40 for more normal temps.

Does anybody have an owners manual and what does it say? I'm sure that pretty much anything would be fine but you know how females are. If something happened to it after I worked on it it would be my fault.

Here's what Amsoil says:

Above -4F......10W-30, 10W-40
Above 95F......30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50 [1]
Below 104F......5W-30 [2]

[1] Above 35 °C (95 °F) refers to warm climates or HD operation.
[2] SAE 5W-30 is preferred.

I imagine that this is a "global" set of recommendations that accounts for availability in foreign nations.

I come from a "subaru" family... many subarus over the years.

ALL newer Subarus prefer either 0w40 or 5w40, specially the EJ25. yeah they run fine with 5w30 but those shear down to under 10cSt.. Subbies do not like that, the prefer to stay OVER 12cSt.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My friend didn't get an owners manual with her used Forester. Looking on A-Zones site it shows 5w30 if its like -20F and 10w30 or 10w40 for more normal temps.

Does anybody have an owners manual and what does it say? I'm sure that pretty much anything would be fine but you know how females are. If something happened to it after I worked on it it would be my fault.

In your location, have her run the Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (T6) and change it every 5K.

I owned a 2002 Forester and my dealer would scream at me when I brought my own oil in cause all he wanted to do was sell me 5W-30.

I don't usually agree with going against what the mfg suggest, but In Subaru's case I do.

I am with Johny and Wide on this.
From what I can gather, it seems that Subes like a little thicker oil than 5W-30.
I have been using GC in mine for that very reason.
Heck, Subaru even recommends 10W-40 in the owner's manual of our Forester, down to -4 F, along with oils as thick as 20W-50 for extreme conditions.
Maybe I got the Australian owner's manual?
Reading between the lines, I think your friend's Sube might do better on something a little thicker than 5W-30.
I've been using GC because I have used it before and liked it, and it is nearly a forty weight.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

...Heck, Subaru even recommends 10W-40 in the owner's manual of our Forester, down to -4 F, along with oils as thick as 20W-50 for extreme conditions.
Maybe I got the Australian owner's manual?...

No, it's been the same for all of the subes that I've owned since '97. Regardless if it's the old 2.2L n/a or the 300+ hp. STI, the manual has always said 5W-30 preferred for fuel economy and thicker viscosities required are for hot temps and in severe conditions.

19.gif

-Dennis

Not that I disagree, but I'm curious about how you guys know that Subarus "like" thicker oils? Is this based on UOA's, engine teardowns, performance, or just the way things feel?
I've heard the same thing about Jeep's 4.0, but never figured out why.

Subaru notes that a 5W-30 starburst oil is "preferred", but then goes on to recommend a number of heavier weights at appropriate temps.
Very few manufacturers bother to recommend more than one or two low viscosity oils any longer for SI engines.
Why do you suppose Subaru bothers to recommend heavier oils, unless they think the engine would benefit from them?
Could it just be that Subaru, always a bit off the mainstream, which is part of the charm of the marque, is old school enough to follow the old convention of recommending oils based upon the expected range of temps and severity of use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back