Toyota Brake Pad Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to do a brake job on my dad's 1997 Toyota Avalon as part of a Christmas present (in addition to fixing all the other little things that are broken in the car).

I stopped by the Toyota dealer's parts department, and they had the pads in stock for about $50. I also stopped by AutoZone for some other minor things, and they had Duralast Gold semi-metallic pads for about $35, and they carried a lifetime warranty (if they ever wear out, I can bring them in and they'll replace them for free).

As always, good warranties and lower prices appeal to me, so I was tempted to go for the Duralast pads. Reviews seem to suggest they're decent pads and will do the job. Anyone have useful experience with the Duralast pads? I presume the Toyota pads will have no major issues (except for no lifetime warranty), being made by a Toyota supplier.

On that note, who makes the OEM Toyota pads? If I can get the same pads from that manufacturer at a lower price, I'd prefer to go that route.

Same thing with rotors: anyone know who makes the OEM Toyota rotors? Are the Duralast ones any good? In addition to AutoZone, there's a Kragen nearby, but no Advanced or O'Reilly.

The primary goal of this brake job is to be as seamless as possible: my dad's gotten used to the braking performance, stopping distance, noise, etc. of the OEM pads, so having super-grippy pads or higher-noise ones would be a bad thing. Dust production isn't a concern. Obviously there'd be a slight change in braking performance between new and used pads, but I'd like to keep the overall experience as similar as possible.

Any recommendations and information would be most welcome.

I have been using Duralast pads and rotors on my 99 Saturn SL2 for about 50,000 miles. They do dust. I have had no problems stopping. No vibration. First set needed to be replaced after 30,000 miles. Easy to get new ones under warranty. AutoZone has everything in their computer system. However, not sure how they would work with the vehicle you have.

I have done hundreds of brake jobs and I have used OEM pads on only one occassion, where a friend with a camry bought all the parts and simply wanted to use OEM pads. The Duralast Gold pads will likely be very similar to the OEM pads. I do not like to use the cheapest pads available - but mid to upper level pads, even in a store brand, normally provide a good value.

As far as rotors.... are you sure you need new rotors? certainly it is always best to replace rotors, but it is not always necessary. I am not a fan of turning rotors, as it removes precious mass from the rotor which can lead to a decrease in the ability to disapate heat and an increase in the likelyhood of warping.

Are Duralast rotors good? they are very average and are certainly not OEM quality. they do come with a 2 year warranty, and I have not had any incidence or warping in any that I have used in the last 5 years.

now, for my own cars, I use the best pads available - but the brakes on my truck need to stop 12,000 lbs - so the carbon metallic have worked well; and my car frequently sees severe duty - and the Akebono ceramics stop much better than OEM - in fact, my car "stops on a dime". oh, my daily driver toyota echo has duralast gold on it - but the car certainly does not see severe duty - and the Duralast rotors for that application were actually made in Taiwan (which is generally higher quality than the average part made in China)

but, given the parameters that you have specified, I believe that you will be satisfied with the Duralast Golds.

i rarely use or recommend OEM pads. I've always experienced less "grip" with them.
Besides.. you paid a lot for the car.. why give the manufacturer more money for something that isn't THAT good?

I have had great luck with OEM pads. My wife's 2001 Accord has had only one pad replacement in 191K miles. I had a Celica that had 175K on the original pads.

I have also had good luck with Duralast since a mechanic told me how good they are. I use the silvers, and have two sets in stock for future use on a couple of my cars.

Actually, the biggest "problem" with brake pads the last X years has been brake squeel. It's a very annoying problem that causes mechanics headaches with "bring backs". basically the engineers need to ensure that the resonant frequency of the pads does not match the resonant frequency of the rotors. vibration is one byproduct of friction - and they need to ensure that any "noise" is outside our range of hearing. It's a funny science, and some well-known cars have had problems with it: 2008 Honda Odysee are a recent example. anyway, some of the cheaper pads may be more prone to squeeling due to the lack of a shim. I tried to convince my brother to use ceramics on his 2006 Uplander (I'm pretty sure they that they were OEM'd with ceramincs) anyway, someone told him that ceramics were evil and would destroy his rotors. since they were spec'd for ceramics, there was only one semi-metallic pad available and it happened to be the Duralast black. ok, they dont really make a black, but it was their lowest pad. we put them on, and of course they squeeled. his wife is now mad at me. I simply sent her the email where I recommended a better pad. no more squeel from her!

Last edited:
Pep Boys have "platinum" pads which are = to oem and they also have lifetime warranty for around 30 bucks and if you want less brake dust go with their ceramics for $50

OEM Toyota pads are very good. I would put them in the same league as many premium aftermarket pads. It is common to see OEM Toyota pads last over 50,000 miles, which is something you cannot say about some OEM pads.

I would go with another set of OEM Toyota pads only if the original shims are still on the car. If not, go with a set of premium aftermarket pads since OEM Toyota pads need a shim kit and shim kits are very expensive.

Update: I took the wheels off to examine the brakes. Turns out the brakes are in good condition, with plenty of pad life remaining. Evidently the sound we interpreted as the wear indicator was something else. Oh well.

The car didn't need new rotors either; I was merely asking in anticipation of needing to get some. Turns out they weren't necessary.

It's fortunate I checked, though: the steering and rear suspension boots are completely destroyed, and the remains of the steering boot is leaking some heavy fluid (grease? doesn't look like power steering fluid), so he'll need to get that taken in the next time he's in the shop.

He's been going to the same shop for about 20 years, and used to take our old Volvo there (we sold it a while ago). He had such great service that he's been taking his Toyota there over my mild objections (they're not a Toyota shop, they specialize in Mercedes, Volvo, and BMW). He said he'll mention the suspension and steering boot issues to the shop the next time he's in there.

Now to return the brake pads...

I believe Akebono makes Toyota pads. I have owned Toyota/Lexus vehicles for almost 35 years and have always done my own brake jobs. Several times over the years I have tried various high end pads and they never performed as well as OEM pads. When you look at the overall package of cost, fitment, dust, noise, pad life and stopping power I don't believe any aftermarket pad out there can beat Toyota OEM.

We have gotten 110000 miles out oem toyota pads on my 2000 toyota sienna and 120000 on our 93 previa. Granted , we are easy on our brakes but is that proof enough?

I agree--Toyota pads are quite good. However, I have bought a set of ATE pads from RockAuto that I will try on my Tundra. ATE is OEM on many of the European cars. The ATE pads on my Volvo are excellent so I decided to try them out.

Ebay is a good place to get OEM pads at a decent price. It is hit or miss though.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Akebono makes toyota pads.

Doesn't mean they make em as well.
24.gif

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
oh, my daily driver toyota echo has duralast gold on it - but the car certainly does not see severe duty - and the Duralast rotors for that application were actually made in Taiwan (which is generally higher quality than the average part made in China)
The Echo, having been made in Japan, most likely has Japanese rotors from the factory. Just sayin'...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back