Do they still sell leaded gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never recogized it until now that newer vehicles still come with a warning or label on the gas cap or guage to use unleaded gas. Are there some gas stations selling leaded gas?

You can buy a lead substitute too. The stuff airports sell I believe is ultra-high octane so I don't think you'd want to run it in your car.

It isn't so much the octane of avgas that would be a problem.
Rather, it is the high lead content.
I read years ago in a column in "Flying" that full standard tanks on a C172 (only 34 US gallons) contain the equivalent of a pound of elemental lead, if 100LL is used.
This is way beyond the lead content of old leaded hi-test for your car, IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Gas is better with out lead.

I agree. Lead had its place in gasoline, though its time is long past. I would consider it a primitive solution the octane issue, and one that presented toxicity dangers that were barely understood when the stuff was mainstream. It also left a mess on engine parts, and in the oil as well. Its removal from automotive fuels is one of the main reasons (but certainly not the only) that the old 3/3 oil change regimen is a needless antique today.

This said, I know why the labels are STILL there. Apparently, it doesn't take much leaded gasoline to muck up a cat. And even with the message being repeated now for decades, there are always those yahoos out there who think they know better than the engineers. At least with the warning labels, the yahoo himself has to fund dealing with the repairs -- he can't whine and have the car company do it for him (ultimately at our expense...). Sorry, rant now concluded. Merry Christmas
cheers3.gif

Not only is the UFO sticker still present, so is the "unleaded restrictor" in the gas filler neck. Yup, we could all fill our tanks faster with fatter hoses if it weren't for this now-bogus requirement.

I wonder if leaded fuel is still sold in Mexico?

Problem is if they go back to the bigger nozzel size it would not fit all the existing cars with the restrictor plate...I guess they need to start it sometime and have both sizes at the pump for a while

Last edited:
I did a fair amount of surfing to try to prove you wrong, but you are indeed correct wrt the lead content of 100LL.
I will have to find that old Peter Garrison column.
I obviously misread what he wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back