Oil for an Air-Cooled Diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do air-cooled diesel engines, such as those made by Deutz, have any special oil requirements? I would think that at the higher operating temps in air-cooled engines, a synthetic oil would be ideal. Thanks for any info.

Hi,
generally most Deutz engines require a US spec 15w-40 HDEO such as Castrol's RX Super
Some models require a Euro spec oil to ACEA's E3, E5 and MB 228.1, MB228.3 and etc.
A viscosity variance is only need at the lower ambient end

They respond well to 5w-40 synthetic HDEOs too

Deutz engines are durable if kept clean and serviced sensibly. They are not too sensitive to very high ambient temperatures 45+C

Regards
Doug

Hi,
yes the 300hr OCI is reasonable if the engine is in normal service. We claculate one hour as 80kms (50miles) in trucking circles
Using this formulae it is 15k miles and you will get more if you use UOA

Use the highest quality lubricant suitable (US or Euro spec?) and with the correct viscosity

Deutz Industrial engines (cement mixers/lime pumps etc) often have annual OCIs in OZ regardless of the distance covered

Regards
Doug

Hi,
I have not had personal exposure to the HATZ engines but they do have an excellent reputation in this country

Their oil requirements are the same viscosity as for DEUTZ engines but only US quality spec (CI-4 etc)

Regards
Doug

Deutz engines need group II oils for long oil life. I've run extended tests where we could not go beyond 300 hours with group I oils without increasing viscosity and wear metals. Group II (originally Delo, but now another one) can easily run 450 hours without thickening.
The Deutz manual I have recommends double the oil life for CH-4 as for CF-4 oils.
One key factor for these engines is maintaining the fins clean. Many of these are used on agricultural equipment where they get covered by dirt, others in busses where sometimes there is oil film and dirt. Another key factor is the air intake, since they usually draw air in through a duct that can get partially clogged.
-- I've just made a note to myself to dig these UOA out and add to my site, so thanks for the idea. - but probabably won't get done today.

Thanks Widman for the info. I'm thinking that Delvac 1 would be ideal for these engines, though I've heard that they consume a fair amount of oil during operation.
As for Hatz, the prices I've seen on them are extremely expensive, about double that of Deutz.

After reading about Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5w-40, I think it would be a better choice than Delvac 1. It seems to have a good additive package, and is only $13 a gallon.

i'm not a certified advice giver in this area-

but, my gut tells me- from the information I have accumulated through this forum and other sources, that an air cooled engine is going to be prone to less controlled engine temps, sometimes higher than a liquid cooled design. Which would definetally steer me to recomend, a synthetic, that meets diesel certifications, of the highest weight rating that it can safely pump at good flow.. though, all diesel oils I have seen are 40 weight. (with varying "W" ratings usually corresponding to whether or not they are synthetic or not). Synthetics, in heavy weights, won't shear from heat or burn off as easy as a regular dino oil.

so basically, i suggest a synthetic, delvac 1 is the first that comes to mind at the moment, but i'm sure there are other options that are equally good.

I finally have a way to test this. Bought some Deutz "Air Diesels" a few weeks ago, and I'm looking for the best oil for them. I found some Mystik JT-8 15w-50 syn-blend oil for cheap at my local Truck Pro, only $17 per 2-gallon jug. TBN of 13, and lots of additives. I figure I'll try that in one engine, while running a pure synthetic like Mobil TDT in the other engines. Unfortunately, I don't have any Schaeffer 9000 to try in the engines.

I have worked on them in the Army (Canadian), and as long as everything was in order- oil changes, fuel filter changes, air filter, cooling sys, and timing was good they can last a while.

Yep, they have a reputation for being "bulletproof". I have two F4L912's, and one F3L912. Found them on eBay for cheap. I'm replacing some small parts on them, like the oilbath aircleaners and lift pumps. Everything else seems intact.

Originally Posted By: 416Rigby
I finally have a way to test this. Bought some Deutz "Air Diesels" a few weeks ago, and I'm looking for the best oil for them. I found some Mystik JT-8 15w-50 syn-blend oil for cheap at my local Truck Pro, only $17 per 2-gallon jug. TBN of 13, and lots of additives. I figure I'll try that in one engine, while running a pure synthetic like Mobil TDT in the other engines. Unfortunately, I don't have any Schaeffer 9000 to try in the engines.
I know this is 2 years old-but was wondering how your test worked out-I'm thinking about picking up a little Iveco box van that has the air-cooled Deutz 5L912 in it-was wondering how it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back