New 2009 GMC Sierra 4.8 V8 Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I just bought a new 2WD GMC Sierra Ext.Cab with a 4.8L V8. I'm looking for the oil you think the engine would like best for 10,000 mile OC's. This is my first GMC. I will drive it every other week for 5 days straight each time=60 miles there and 60 miles back each day. Occasional weekend town use. I drive them easy=55 unless speed limit is 70. Owners manual calls for 5w30.

I was thinking Mobil 1 EP 5w30 with Mobil 1 filter, but I am open for all suggestions.

thanks!

that is a VERY easy use profile. I bet PYB could manage that - Im sure it can for 7500 mi OCIs... with UOAs of course...

Are you doing straight 10k mile OCIs or following the OLM?

I wouldn't be worried about the EP, Id just run M1 or PP 5w-30 and a pure 1 or M1 filter.

Sounds good to me also... Most synthetics will do a great job at protecting that engine.. I personally use conventional and change it every 4000 miles or 4 months

You should follow the OLM with brand name dino and quality filter during warranty period. Your driving is very easy on oil, change oil and filter when the OLM goes down to 10%, when warranty is expired you can then use synthetic and extend OCI to about 50% longer.

I agree use a quality dino (valvoline, chevron, penzoil, gtx etc..) and a AcDelco filter while you are under warranty. Keep receipts and the filter box top. Follow OLM to 15% is what I do.

Nice vehicle, congrats. The UOA forum has some interesting data on the GM V8s to say the least. Seems like the M 1 EP, Amsoil and Pennz Platinum have given the best results.
What does the warranty require as far as OCI?

Originally Posted By: Jehartley
Hello!

I just bought a new 2WD GMC Sierra Ext.Cab with a 4.8L V8. I'm looking for the oil you think the engine would like best for 10,000 mile OC's. This is my first GMC. I will drive it every other week for 5 days straight each time=60 miles there and 60 miles back each day. Occasional weekend town use. I drive them easy=55 unless speed limit is 70. Owners manual calls for 5w30.

I was thinking Mobil 1 EP 5w30 with Mobil 1 filter, but I am open for all suggestions.

thanks!

Sounds like a plan, and perfect conditions for your planned OCI. I happen to prefer PP over any of the Mobil offerings, but that is just me. The Mobil 1 EP and either of the two filters you mentioned will be fine. Good luck with the new truck!

The warranty says to follow the OLM or 1 year...whichever comes first. I am going to assume that I can go 10,000 easy. My wife's 2008 2 Door Honda Accord runs Mobil 1 EP 0w20, and the OLM always comes up right at about 10,000...and that car is the car that will be driven the the other week---same trip.

In order to keep the warranty intact follow the OLM, or change the oil in 1 year. PP or Mobil 1 can handle it. I'm almost certain the OLM programming is based on dino oil, so the synthetic will give you a nice safety factor.

Hello!

thanks!

1 - Make sure your oil meets or exceeds GM6094M, has the API Starburst, and is a 5W-30.

2 - Change it by the OLM or 1 year as has been said. I would not "plan on" 10K or go by a 10K schedule unless the OLM allows for it while under warranty.

3 - I personally would go with a synthetic if you plan to run the OLM out as long as possible or try and go the year. JMO. Some I would consider( I won't mention non warranty acceptable oils and I personally don't like Mobil 1 oils so I can't say use the EP you talk of )...

Kendall GT1
Penzoil Platinum
Valvoline Synpower
Amsoil XL( believe it is a 7500 mile rated oil? )

As to filters. IF you are going to run the OC as long as possible I think your idea of a premium filter is a good call. I would suggest a Royal Purple filter followed by K&N or Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Now, I used to be an Amsoil guy, but the price (preferred member) plus shipping after the price hike just didn't sit well with me. I notice, though, that the XL version is much cheaper, and they sell it at the local NAPA store.

So...is the XL version of Amsoil just as good as the original?

Congradulations on buying a practical, very long running and hard working truck. I bought this same rig in 2000 and it has run long and hard for me has 266,000 miles on it and is still running strong. I used M1 or Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer in this truck for most of its life. At 200,000 I started using some dino in it (Valvoline WB or Maxlife) and then at 250,000 switched to GC 0W-30. I have used either AC Delco or PureOne filters for most of the changes. My OCI has averaged around 5000-6000 miles through most of the trucks lifetime. I have notice the OLM to running to 15% at between 6500-7500 miles.

Last edited:
I've done a few UOAs on my 2000 Silverado 4x4 ext cab (when I owned it) and the best one I've ever seen on the 4.8l was with Chevron 5w-30. Worst was with Mobil 1 (tri-syn).

I'd just follow the OLM with any SM 5w-30 and you'll see more miles with that engine. It is a EXCELLENT engine.

Wish I NEVER sold that truck!
06.gif

Take care, bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

PPS: I feel if I was going to run Amsoil, the XL is the ONLY stuff I'd run in the engine. (I do use Amsoil in my t-case, diffs and transmissions)

Hello!

thanks!

10,000 miles will be a breeze for this oil. I've used the EP since they came out with it. Will keep your engine very clean. I did one UOA and it was very good even at 10,000 miles.

Last edited:

So...is the XL version of Amsoil just as good as the original?

For OLM/10K/Short OCI's/warranty "required" API there will be no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back