Diesel Volkswagon Dealer Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking with my stepdad the other day about oil in his 09 Jetta TDI. He lets the dealer do all the oil changes and apparently they use a 5w-30 at a 10K OCI. I was surprised to hear they used a 30 weight oil as I figured most diesel engines were spec'ed 40 weights.

Can anyone tell me what kind of oil they use at the dealers? Any VW service techs on here?

probably a castrol product, but M1 has an ESP VW504/507 product that should work too.

30 wt oils will become the new norm in diesels, especialls PC diesels soon...

All VW 504.00/507.00 oils are 5w30, from a variety of manufactures: Castrol, Mobil, Fuchs, ELF/Total, Motul and others.

Some dealers use Castrol, others opt to use other brands.

/EDIT. Most, if not all of them, are thick 30 wt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
A very high quality 5W30 truck oil for low emission diesels:
http://www.mobil.com/Italy-English/Lubes/PDS/glxxencvlmomobil_delvac_1_le_5w-30.pdf
Unfortunately not obtainable in the US.

Charlie

No dealer would use that oil though, does not meet the warranty requirements of CR TDIs. Would it work OK for a person to use once out of warranty? We don't know yet.

M1 ESP 5w30 would be an appropriate oil though.

The dealerships use Castrol SLX Professional LL03 which is a 5W-30 oil meeting VW's 504/507 oil standard for the 2009 TDI engine.

The Mobil product that meets VW's 504/507 is Mobil-1 ESP Formula 5W-30 which is NOT of the Delvac product line at all.

I have never seen any of the oils mentioned on store shelves. If he was to do his own oil changes, what OTC oil would be acceptable? Can GC be used in passenger car diesels?

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I have never seen any of the oils mentioned on store shelves. If he was to do his own oil changes, what OTC oil would be acceptable? Can GC be used in passenger car diesels?

The only OTC oil you're gonna find that's 507.00 is from the dealer ($7/L or so), or Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 (you can order from various auto parts stores, also $7/L or so). Note the difference between normal Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 ESP 5w30

GC cannot be used in newer CR TDIs, does not meet VW 507.00.

M1 ESP 5w30:
http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_Formula_5W-30.asp

M1 5w30:
http://mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-30.aspx

Find out EXACTLY which oil the dealership uses. Don't be surprised if it is any ordinary bulk 5W-30. If it really is the diesel specific oil that meets VW spec, great. If not, complain to VW of America.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I have never seen any of the oils mentioned on store shelves. If he was to do his own oil changes, what OTC oil would be acceptable?

Go to PepBoys - you should be able to find M1 ESP 5w-30 there.

I bought the Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP at Pep Boys in Puyallup. It isn't widely available, but it can be found. Price was decent also, considering. It is a 507 approved oil usable is both new TDIs and my PD.

I doubt a dealership would use an off the shelf or bulk 5w-30 in a TDI. Even the worst of them should know better.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
I doubt a dealership would use an off the shelf or bulk 5w-30 in a TDI. Even the worst of them should know better.

Never underestimate the incompetence of a Volkswagen service center. I realize we're only human,, but these guys seem to try to do the wrong things. I have never seen anything like it in my life.

Just take a short trip over to the TDI Club web site, and read all the stories of VW dealers using the wrong oil in TDIs. It tends to be the rule rather than the exception to use the wrong oil at some VW dealers. Always take your own oil for changes, and be safe. Better yet, do it your self.

I would not allow the dealership where I bought my Jetta to so much as look at the car out on the lot their incompetence is so great. I would not even buy a filter there. Yet even they claim to know my car required 505.01 oil and held up the correct Castrol bottle. Of course, what they claim and what they put in my car are certainly open to question. Good thing I changed it after 5,000 miles. Then I used Motul purchased after a careful study and search. As my car approaches the great rubber band change time at 100,000 miles, I am already planning to go to an independent shop recommended here for the job.

I've got 2 open recalls on my Jetta that will remain open because I refuse to let a dealer work on my stuff. I had too many issues with VW dealers in the early 00s to trust them today.

Originally Posted By: hannaco
Just take a short trip over to the TDI Club web site, and read all the stories of VW dealers using the wrong oil in TDIs.

...and over-filling our cars, too! (well, not mine anymore..."free" service is over....yippeee!)

Last edited:
Care-free service is right
lol.gif

And VW wonders WHY they have such a problem with gaining the consumers trust in the USA.

VW dealers in the US are probably (overall) the worst of any in the developed world.

If VW wanted to finally become a legit competitor in the USA they have to:

1) Bring the Germans over from VW AG and disband the current US distributor VWoA. They have been a joke for decades and can't get anything right.

2) Draw and quarter any dealer that doesn't make service competence and getting the job done right the first time Job 1!.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back