New ATV oil consumption problem with Amsoil 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently bought a new Honda ATV Rancher 420 4x4 and when it was due for its first oil change, I put in what I thougth would be the best syntetic oil money can buy, Amsoil 4-stroke power sports oil 0W-40. the problem is it has only been like two weeks since I change the oil and have only had the ATV out riding couple of times, but when I checked the oil recently, I noticed that the oil level was at the lower end of the acceptable range on the dipstick. When I changed the oil it was actually above the full mark, now it is at bottom end of the OK mark, very close to the low mark. Some how about half a quart of oil disappeared from my ATV engine. Where the heck did it go?
there is no sign of any oil leaks. I checked by the drain plug and oil filter housing and no oil leaks at all.
What really bugs me now is that when I called Amsoil, they shrug me off. they send me a TSB about oil consumption which really deals with issues associated with worn out engines and associated wear related oil consumptions issues which does not apply to my brand new ATV which has been pampered. the technical support folks at Amsoil so far have been petetic and I am very displeased with the way they tried to shrug me off.
Has anybody experienced similar thing?
I just spend all these money on expensive oil from Amsoil and if this serious oil consumption continues, I am going to have to dump that [censored] and put some off the shelf convensional oil which I am sure will not give me any trouble with excessive oil consumption as the oil that was in the ATV when I bought it did not show any consuption at all.

I have this oil in my Polaris 700. No usage. I saw a VOA of this oil and it is a true 0-40.

The Polaris oil VOA was like a 20-50. Not sure what viscosity you had vs. what Amsoil is, but that could be part of it.

You don't "have" to dump it... Come on.

Fill it back up with Amsoil and monitor the usage or not.

THEN, dump it & put in whatever you like.

THEN, let us know how much of the regular oil it uses.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

I have this oil in my Polaris 700. No usage. I saw a VOA of this oil and it is a true 0-40.

The Polaris oil VOA was like a 20-50. Not sure what viscosity you had vs. what Amsoil is, but that could be part of it.

You don't "have" to dump it... Come on.

Fill it back up with Amsoil and monitor the usage or not.

THEN, dump it & put in whatever you like.

THEN, let us know how much of the regular oil it uses.

The problem is that I have to order more of this oil which is expensive and pay shipping for just one quart and have to wait around for it to show up. the way it seems to consume oil I don't think I can wait even for few days. by the way my owners manual calls out 5w-30, 10W-30 or 10W-40 depending on operating temperatres.

How many hours were on the engine when you changed oil? Perhaps the rings were not fully seated. I'd say give the Amsoil a little more time and consuption should disappear.

I would give it a few more hours before you get worried. These ATV motors have smaller sumps (1.5-2QTS) and you would be surprised how much oil a filter can absorb. Enough to register on your dipstick for sure. Top it to full, run it for 10+ more hours and then re-evaluate. I can tell you one thing, I havent seen my oil level go down on my ATV since I switched to Rotella T 15W-40. Thats why it is recommended so often here, it is very shear resistant and works well in almost all ATVs motors.

You got a nice machine ther with the new Rancher 4X4, I have a 2003 Rancher 4X4 350 and it has been a great machine. I have used it on the tree farm for spraying 70,000 trees, hunting, ice fishing, snow plowing and it still runs the same as the day I drove it off the lot. I used Valvoline ATV 10W-40 for the first 4 years and then switched to Rotella T 15-40 based on info from this site. Lots of people use the Amsoil 0W-40 also and I would agree that it is regarded as the best ATV oil out there. In Mississippi it might be overkill since you have more heat than extreme cold and the Rotella T is a perfect fit for you there year round and much cheaper.

I started using Amsoil 0w40 in my 2004 Kodiak last year. No problems with oil comsumption/burning in the summer, but in the winter on the real cold days it would smoke a bit until it warmed up. I'm guessing there was a little blow by when the rings were cold, and it is a pretty watery oil.
This year I used 2 quarts Amsoil 0w40, and a half quart M1 motorcycle 10w40. The 10w40 still has a very low pour point, and I'm hoping that it will be thick enough now to reduce the blow by. I will keep topping it up with the 10w40 over the winter if it keeps burning it and hopefully find the sweet spot.

i am surprised that you are having this trouble out of a HONDA.they are my atv/motorcycle brand of choice also.i'm running a 1996 trx 300 fourtrax on rts 5w-40 and it really likes it with very smooth shifts and no oil usage that i can see.you might wanna try it as it is so much easier to ge a hold of.i'm a mississippi boy to and this oil does very well in our climate.as to the it might not be the oils fault.don't be so quick to crucify HONDA.this wheeler will be still running when most of the other brands are in the junk yard.

I ran Amsoil 0w40 in my 2001 Foreman for 5 years not a single sign of consumption I liked that oil a lot, & it ran great fan hardly went on too.

We are seeing some consumption of Amsoil 0w40 on the Kingquad section on Nyroc forum as well. No rhyme or reason really either. For nearly all cases switching to Rotella cured the ailment. As a side note I have run Rotella 5w40 since day 1 and have had zero consumption on my 2008 Kingquad 750.

Originally Posted By: whitearrow
i am surprised that you are having this trouble out of a HONDA.they are my atv/motorcycle brand of choice also.i'm running a 1996 trx 300 fourtrax on rts 5w-40 and it really likes it with very smooth shifts and no oil usage that i can see.you might wanna try it as it is so much easier to ge a hold of.i'm a mississippi boy to and this oil does very well in our climate.as to the it might not be the oils fault.don't be so quick to crucify HONDA.this wheeler will be still running when most of the other brands are in the junk yard.

Whitearrow,

what brand of oil are you refering to by rts? and where do you buy it? If it is Rottela, is it designed for 4-cycle engines or is it regular car engine oil?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer
Originally Posted By: whitearrow

Whitearrow,

what brand of oil are you refering to by rts? and where do you buy it? If it is Rottela, is it designed for 4-cycle engines or is it regular car engine oil?

Thanks

Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40, it's a diesel oil, JASO approved, safe for wet clutch systems.

Here is your problem....pampering the engine! Yes, get on that ATV and drive it......like slamming your finger in a door and your mad. Amsoil 0w40 is a great oil....don't change it just drive that engine like your mad.Those rings will seat and you will be fine.

Not to hijack the thread, but I just bought an '04 Polaris 600 Sportsman with 1100 miles. The previous owner followed the Polaris warranty requirement of only using Polaris oil. He gave me a change kit, and I can't find the weight or anything about the oil on the bottle. This is apparently the only oil the manufacturer recommends.

Reading the other posts, is the AMSOIL 0-40 4-stroke power sports suitable for this application, and will it work with the wet clutches on this auto trans 4x4? I wouldn't buy an ATV from AMSOIL, and I don't plan on buying any oil from Polaris.

deer slayer,sorry to be so long on getting back at cha but i think someone helped me out.it is the shell rotella t 5w-40 synthetic hdeo.you can find it at your local wal-mart in quart or gallon jugs.you will be hard pressed to find a better motorcycle/atv oil.try it out you don't have anything to lose except what you will be out for the dumped amsoil.look at some of the uoa's on here of rts and you will see what i mean.

I still had consumption with the Amsoil/Mobile combo.....last top up was with Rotella 5w40 and it seems to have stopped.
I think I will run the Rotella exclusively now, it's cheaper then the Amsoil, about half the price, and I'm sure it will protect just as well.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
I still had consumption with the Amsoil/Mobile combo.....last top up was with Rotella 5w40 and it seems to have stopped.
I think I will run the Rotella exclusively now, it's cheaper then the Amsoil, about half the price, and I'm sure it will protect just as well.

I use Rotella in all my small engines, I am a real fan of it in air cooled 4 cycles. GREAT oil. However, I am not sure it is the oil of choice for a consumption issue. It has great flow properties, and weeped from one of my quads with with a compormised lower jug gasket, and blew by an old quad until I did rings and honing. M1 high milage 10w-40 reduced consumption in both those bikes until repairs were made.

If your rings have not yet seated it, changing oil may not help. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back