centrifuge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does a centrifuge provide the same benefits as a bypass filtration system?
I changed my centrifuge capsule for the first time at 30000 miles after the 3rd oil change. It was clean inside; no sludge build-up. Oils used were initial factory fill of Rimula Ultra 5W30, then Delo 400 15W40, then Delvac 1 CI4+.

Charlie

From what I've always heard, centrifuge filters are typically supposed to be superior to conventional, spin-on bypass filters in that they remove the smallest of particles from the oil.

It depends on the system VS which bypass system. I really like the PPE centrifuge system. Centrifuge will filter more oil and allow less pressure drop then your typical bypass. I do like the oilguard and FS2500 bypass systems to

Hi,
Charlie - I have had extensive experience with centrifuge oil cleaners over the last 50 years or so. Maintained well they are the best type of engine oil filtration. Not all are built the same however!

I was able to do without FF filters in my heavy trucks using 35micron SS FF inserts instead. This gave almost full lubrication system oil flow when cold

I used the MANN-Hummel FM060 (previously Federal-Mogul "Spinner 2") on my engines - cleaned at every second OC (they hold 600g of contaminants) they were troublefree at well over 2m kms. There must be enough pump volume to handle these devices and in my case there was and it was avery cost effective marriage

When combined with a top line synthetic lubricant I believe that they saved interim valve bridge adjustments which in the end became a 1m kms task or as needed instead of every 200k kms

No idea, my truck came with it. You can get aftermarket ones for a Duramax for ~$5-700, I think.

Charlie

Hi,
Oldwolf - For my engines each centrifuge cost around $A1800 installed. Payback for me was early in year three of a four year spell. My units could be transplanted as I always purchased the same engine family

Retail for the PPE for the duramax is 869.00 and you would be looking at about 2 hours labor. Centrifuge hasn't hit the lightduty diesel market to heavily as of yet, but I expect it to in the future. In light duty applications a good bypass system will work great also

I was thinking of taking a waist veg oil centrifuge and bolting it to the top of one of my valve covers on a C-15 cat.It would have one oil line to it then it would drop return oil back into the engine.Basicly just like a ppe unit.I could do this for under $250.What would be the downside if any?A spinner unit would be about $650 with 2 oil lines and an air line.What do yall think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back