Looking for a Stout 5w-30 Dino with High-ish ZDDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the HM oils or adding GM EOS, STP red bottle, or some other ZDDP / break-in additive might be the only quick, easy to find, off the shelf answers. I would prefer that the experts do the blending. Otherwise all I see are syns and syn blends for racing applications in that grade.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Try some Valvoline Maxlife HM 5W-30 or some Pennzoil or QS HM oils in 5W-30. They all have a higher VI than standard 5W-30 oil. Might just be the ticket for you.

+1

Originally Posted By: coffee
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Try some Valvoline Maxlife HM 5W-30 or some Pennzoil or QS HM oils in 5W-30. They all have a higher VI than standard 5W-30 oil. Might just be the ticket for you.

+1

+2

Ran some 5W-30 MaxLife leftovers in the lawnmower this year without any problem at all. In fact, it still looks almost new.

Last edited:
Valvoline max life it is - i suppose. The "semi syn"? Since I have M1 HM and VR1 10w-30 full syn with GF3 mid saps/mid hths stashed already. I going to look up the maxlife on the ash website - at least its a forum favorite and I wont be bashed for trying :)

Last edited:
Maxlife Dino doesn't have great ZDDP
All weights add Zinc and Phos at 0.083% and .076% respectively. These levels are identical to Valvoline's 'Premium' dino juice.

Pennzoil's HM is also SM. They don't give Z/P numbers, but I assume they are also
Castrol's HM datasheet is hopeless - half the fields are blank.
21.gif

Formula Shell is SJ/SL, so there may be hope. No Z/P numbers on the datasheet.

Quaker State's site is a joke. Where the BLEEP do you find their data sheet library?

Last edited:
Don't assume that SM oils that are not GF-4 will have the 0.8% P limit. SM does not require the limit.

I don't fully understand the reason for the original poster's search for this oil, but to meet his request I'd use any non-GF-4 oil that is labeled something like this..."MaxLife is formulated with extra anti-wear additives to exceed the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 and GF-4." Keep in mind that ZDDP isn't the only antiwear agent, nor the best, just the cheapest.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Valvoline max life it is - i suppose. The "semi syn"? Since I have M1 HM and VR1 10w-30 full syn with GF3 mid saps/mid hths stashed already. I going to look up the maxlife on the ash website - at least its a forum favorite and I wont be bashed for trying :)

Yes, as it is easily available at WalMart in the jug and is a great oil. The synthetic can be harder to find and does not bring a tremendous difference.

I don't think there are any 5w-30 conventional HDEO type oils Arco. The closest you'll get is a high mileage oil. Even though Maxlife has GF-4 phosphorous levels, it's still a higher HT/HS/thicker oil and has 300 ppm moly. That's as close as you're going to get.

If you want an all out meaty high SAPS high phosphorous oil, look no further then Redline 5w-30 or Amsoil HDD 5w-30.

Do we know if Pennzoil HM has the ~100PPM boron. That appears to be the best EPAW since zddp. I'll go look for some uoa or VOA ...

Drew - I've seen scores of good UOA with PYB but need something a bit thicker since I hammer on the engine like a weedwacker. I'm making an assumption that the boron in the overall PYB addpack is the magic bullet. So I'm guessing that if the pennzoil HM is same addpack then the HM oil should do it for me. I ran the PYB as a break in oil last fall, but it fell apart when I hammered on the car - so maybe the thicker HM will do the trick.

Looks like the HM pennzoil is not just a "thicker" PYB - its a whole 'nother, ho-hum, animal without the 100ppm Boron. Back to square 1.

john deere makes what it calls "torq gard supreme" 5w-30 api cg-4 ; sl. i don't know if this is what you are looking for or not, but it seems to meet the criteria you specified.

I wonder if dollar store API SF oils would have modern basestocks (group II) with a huge dose of ZDDP to keep costs down. Might be worth a look...

Looks like the HM pennzoil is not just a "thicker" PYB - its a whole 'nother, ho-hum, animal without the 100ppm Boron. Back to square 1.

I did a recent UOA and it said my 5W30 QSGB had 151ppm boron, 40ppm moly and pretty high phosphorus levels for an SM oil. It wasn't a virgin oil sample but the fact it had those level after use is more impressive.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I did a recent UOA and it said my 5W30 QSGB had 151ppm boron, 40ppm moly and pretty high phosphorus levels for an SM oil. It wasn't a virgin oil sample but the fact it had those level after use is more impressive.

Did you run it for at least 2 OCI's before the UOA? If not you are not getting the most accurate info about the oil you used.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
john deere makes what it calls "torq gard supreme" 5w-30 api cg-4 ; sl. i don't know if this is what you are looking for or not, but it seems to meet the criteria you specified.
I missed stocking up on some SL JD oil when HomeDepot was having a closeout last year and going to the SM stuff. Dont know if it (the new SM) still has a beefier EP add for tractor and farm equipment use. It seems most here would frown on putting lawn equipment oil in a PCMO application - even with the current API category? Could we also guess that there are no grp I engine oils sold as Sj/SL, mainly due to the bulk base oil supply being grp ii now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back