Opinions for Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I am new to this site and have found it to be very informative. I'm not sure my brain has enough hard drive space to retain all of the info. it has been absorbing from this site....anyhow I bought a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with the 2.7L 4 cyl. The truck has 40,000 miles on it and the previous owner ran Castrol GTX 5w30 with 2000 mile oci's. I am getting ready to change the oil and I haven't decided what to run. I drive approx. 40,000 highway miles per year. I was leaning towards Havoline 5 or 10W-30 dino. I would like to do 4000 - 5000 oci's. The oil capacity of the 2.7 is six quarts which is more than most 4 cyl's. I figure I should be OK with 5000 mile oci's on a good dino. I am going to do UOA's on a fairly regular basis but until I get started on that I would appreciate any opinions or thoughts.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,
Sounds like you just bought a well maintained truck! For kicks, I would pull the valve cover and take a look. Just to give you a base line. But to your original question... I thinkt that Havoline has been proven time and time again that its a quality dino that can swing 5k OCI. But on the other side, GTX is a darn good oil too. I would buy what ever is the cheapest! Let price help you choose because they are both quality oil.

Thanks for the reply Boaz.
I did pull the valve cover before I bought the truck...the top end looks like brand new. The Castrol kept the engine clean but then again any oil changed every 2K would probably do the same.

Thanks again,

Jeff

At that rate you'll be changing the old every month - month and a half. I'd go with Mobil 5w30 Extend and change it about every third month or so.

Bullet, thanks for the reply.
I still have two years and 60,000 miles left on the factory extended warranty so I need to stay with 5000 mile OCI's. When that expires I might switch to synthetic to get longer OCI's.

Jeff

Might be a perfect opportunity to try out one of the Conoco Semi-Synthetics: 5W-30 or 10W-30 Union 76 Super, Motorcraft, etc.

If you can find one of them readily availble in your neck-o-the-woods for near the price of GTX or Havoline, they sure do seem to be up to the job. Based upon the amount of driving you intend 60K will arrive in mid summer...

You can check out all the extended OCI threads between now & then!

CHEERS!

Chevron Supreme,Havoline and Mobil 7500 would be my top three choices. I would go with 10W30 as these engines have a design that is not easy on oil at all. This engines valvetrain use's buckets and shims up top and has more chains and sprockets then Jimmy Carter has liver pill's!!!! Do not get me wrong their is nothing wrong with the engine it is just hard on oil from a mechanical stand-point. It also is like most vechiles today and runs some high head temps and coolant temps.

10W30 is going to much more shear resistant in this engine then a 5W30 in a dino oil. My Dad runs M1 15W50 in the warm months and M1 10W30 dureing the winter in his 1995.5 Tacoma wich also has the 2.7L I4. I would consider running a good 15W40 dureing spring and summer and maybe fall as well and then go to a 10W30 for winter. You might also try Mobil 7500 in 5W30 and see how it holds up in this engine as it is mostly GIII from what I understand.

I don't know why you would wait to run the synthetics? I have been running 5w30 M1 in my Tacoma since 1500 miles on the odo. My OCI with the Tacoma will be taken to 5500 miles at least. The UOA on this motor is very good. I wish my 4-Runner would have been on a steady diet of M1 since new.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 23800
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 5w40 tsuv ODO 102500
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

You need to use Mobil 1 5w-30 and 5000 mile changes. It will keep your engine clean and be perfect during the warranty. Do a few UOA during the warranty and you will probably fine you can go further after the warranty. 10,000 miles is possible with a clean running Toyota and regular Mobil 1.

Well dude ... I honestly would stick with wut has been used in this truck already ... Castrol GTX. The only neg about this oil is the 10 dollar cost normaly ... but then most of the other oils are near or just as much depending where you buy them.

--Idoxash--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back