Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
...that any increase in efficiency 'could be' due to something other than any change in the media.
They say: "In addition, the new Purolator Classic oil filter offers:
Multi-fiber, high-density media which filters out harmful contaminants"

Right...maybe it was in a press release. My memory of where I read stuff is fading with age.
Bottom line: It seems much improved though.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Are they discontinuing this STP? Is that STP dome or thread end bypass, just curious?

I believe they are going to Ecore on all STP labeled filters eventually.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: labman
My AZ had a whole shelf of them both in September when I bought the one I just dissected and Thanksgiving when I bought the one I sent you.
Might want to stock up. I got better results with this than the Ecores I looked at. The Ecores are OK, but this older STP is a good one. Do you know who makes it?

Probably Purolator ...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: defektes
River rat, I cant find any tests for new ecores, have you done any. I may be able to send you a ST ecore and a AcDelco ecore and maybee a STP one of the same model if i can find it.

Yeh, there is something posted back in this thread somewhere. They were OK. The Puro whites always filter and flow somewhat better for me than the Ecores, but probably not enough to worry about. I use Ecore sometimes.
The Ecores are rated at 94% multipass at 20 microns, vs 97.5% dittos for the Puros. The test numbers are from SAE, and ISO respectively, but my results seem to correlate pretty well with those numbers.

Thanks for the offer of filters but I'm done. Maybe sometime I'll run some more for fun and to keep up with industry changes. But the shop is cleaned up, the oil separated and dumped at the recyclers.
happy2.gif

I am however considering during Christmas break, taking the main points and pictures from this thread and putting it in some organized fashion into its own website so it will be easier to read.
If I decide to do that, you all will be the first to know where to find it.

I am however considering during Christmas break, taking the main points and pictures from this thread and putting it in some organized fashion into its own website so it will be easier to read. If I decide to do that, you all will be the first to know where to find it.

I think that would be very helpful if you could summarize all your test results somehow so people can get a useful side-by-side comparison. Great work river_rat with all your efforts on this!

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Probably Purolator ...
wink.gif

Santa is going to pass you by this year.
lol.gif

The STP box said ''distributed by Champion Laboratories under License from STP''. I assume they make them too, but have wondered if they are outsourcing some of their low volume numbers that they are still selling conventional construction. Unfortunately, it has a junk dome end bypass like the last ST3950's did. I am not stocking up until I find something with a thread end bypass.

The one you sent had no bypass on the dome. It must use the trashy little nitrile ADBV disc for the if-you're-lucky bypass design.
You can get a good filter for a few dollars more with a real bypass valve that is also by the threads...but I don't see how engine protection could be worth more than $2.98 a few times a year.
48.gif

Are you sure? I thought it had the tell tale circle of holes in the dome end like all the clickers. The one I just removed did.

Composition disk? The Purolator Classics and Microguard I took apart had a metal disk held shut with the usual 45 RPM adapter spring.

There was nothing covering the ring of holes but the leaf spring. I'm pretty sure unless something dropped out I didn't see.

No that is how that style works. If the pressure get too high, the oil squeezes between the end cap and spring and into the center through the holes. Nice, simple, elegant design. I haven't see any tests showing how well it works.

Originally Posted By: labman

Composition disk? The Purolator Classics and Microguard I took apart had a metal disk held shut with the usual 45 RPM adapter spring.

Not all Purolators have the same bypass valve design.

Hey guys,
I put the highlights my postings on this thread onto a website so that it would be easier to find information.
I really leaned on just the media testing as there are a lot of sites already that deal with oil filter construction.
It takes a long time to put all this together, so I kept it as brief as I could while trying not to leave out any important basic information and opinions.

Thanks to Helen for permission to post this link.
It will not be linked here again, so you may want to bookmark it if you find it interesting.

Click here:

Fitration Comparisons

Hey Rob the UPF 52 is not discontinued,you can still get it,you may want to change that on that web site?? just letting you know.

great job pal!!!

OK Thanks guys, I'll correct those things.

...Glad to see you back on the board daman!

OK Thanks guys, I'll correct those things.
Glad to see you back on the board Daman

Oh yea work is slowing for the winter so i got more puter time,lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back