Recommended Oil for 2010 Mazda CX-7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys,

I just got a new 2010 Mazda CX-7. Currently i am having 450 miles on it. I am planning to do the first oil change at around 1500 miles. I am living in Chicago area and driving style is 50/50 highway/city.

Engine is the 2.3 Turbo version with AWD.

What oil do you guys recommend in this application?

Thank you

Last edited:
First of all
welcome2.gif

5w-30 and 5k OCI?

What does the manual ask for? If its a syn then prob either PP or QS syn.

I doubt it recommends a syn and the dealership would just use a good conventional with that short OCI.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
First of all
welcome2.gif

5w-30 and 5k OCI?

What does the manual ask for? If its a syn then prob either PP or QS syn.

I doubt it recommends a syn and the dealership would just use a good conventional with that short OCI.

Take care, Bill

+1

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'd use Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, or Castrol Edge 5W-30...

+1

Thank you all for your help. Mazda is using 5w-30 Motorcraft Blend every 7500 or 5000 miles for hard condition.Driving in chicago and doing a lot of city i am falling into 5000 interval.

I will switch to synthetic cuz in my book every turbo engine is working under hard conditions(especially when moving over 4000 lbs).

Probably i will pick between M1 or PP..depends on the price and the UOA i will get in the future

Thank you again for help

Just looked the vehicle up. Nice car. Care to comment on the cost for one set up like yours? A friend is looking for a bigger, AWD vehicle.

What kind of MPG have you gotten so far? Can you get a roofrack for the vehicle?

Real bummer that there is no MT available. It would be a real nice setup to have a 6-speed MT...

Engine is spec'd for 5w30. I do PP 5w30 at 6,000 mile OCI and several UOAs suggest I could go longer. Engine wear will stabilize at ~ 12,000 miles. I also use MC or WIX oil filters. DO NOT LET THE DEALER TALK YOU INTO USING 5W20 AS MINE TRIED TO DO. An email from Mazda's technical dept confirmed that 5w30 is the only required and approved oil.

Last edited:
Depends...if you plan on keeping it forever, use AMSOIL 5w30. If it is leased, whatever the dealership can get you for $1 a quart.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
M1 or PP 5W-30 amazing choices, I thought Ford/Mazda like Honda is moving towards 20 wight oils?

they are, in non turbo applications. my mazda5 w/ the regular 2.3 is spec'd for 20wt.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Just looked the vehicle up. Nice car. Care to comment on the cost for one set up like yours? A friend is looking for a bigger, AWD vehicle.

What kind of MPG have you gotten so far? Can you get a roofrack for the vehicle?

Real bummer that there is no MT available. It would be a real nice setup to have a 6-speed MT...

Hi there,

i got the 2010 CX-7 Touring AWD out the door for $25,700
Yes you can add roof rack. Lack of MT is driving me crazy alsom, but the 6 speed automatic is silky smooth paired with the turbo engine.My average after 450 miles in 18 mpg 70/30 city/higway

I would use 5W30 in winter and 0-5W40 for summer, because long city trips can have oil temperature up to 10-20F higher than highway driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back