SM/CF oil ok for my 6.2 GM diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have access to some good synthetic oil for my van, not looking for extended drain just making it easier on it for winter. Its 5w50. I'll also be turbocharging it next spring so if ok n/a, it should be good for turbo too as its rated for turbo engines.

Specs-

API sm/cf
Acea A3/B3
BMW LL98
Mercedes 229.1
Ford WSS M2C931-B
VW/Audi 502.00 and 505.00.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
try a 5W20

That is not such a great idea, a 5W20 has very low viscosity at running temperature, virtually all diesels - passenger car, light truck, heavy truck - are designed for oils with the viscosity of a heavy 30, or 40 oil at 100C. and 150C. (HTHS).
You will find the consensus opinion on this forum will be to run a diesel rated 15W40, unless winter temps drop below +10F (-12C.), in which case a diesel rated 10W30 or 5W40 would be desirable.
Since you know about ACEA ratings, an E2, 3, 5 or 7 oil that can be obtained in North America is the type I would recommend. Examples are Delo400, Rotella T, Delvac, etc...
If you really want a synthetic because you will be going to the colder parts of BC in the winter all the above come in 5W40 synthetic.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
try a 5W20

That is not such a great idea, a 5W20 has very low viscosity at running temperature, virtually all diesels - passenger car, light truck, heavy truck - are designed for oils with the viscosity of a heavy 30, or 40 oil at 100C. and 150C. (HTHS).
You will find the consensus opinion on this forum will be to run a diesel rated 15W40, unless winter temps drop below +10F (-12C.), in which case a diesel rated 10W30 or 5W40 would be desirable.
Since you know about ACEA ratings, an E2, 3, 5 or 7 oil that can be obtained in North America is the type I would recommend. Examples are Delo400, Rotella T, Delvac, etc...
If you really want a synthetic because you will be going to the colder parts of BC in the winter all the above come in 5W40 synthetic.

Charlie

I know nothing about ACEA ratings hence my post.

Also agreed, I would never use a 5w20 in a diesel, I'll have no bearings left,
frown.gif

I don't feel running a 50 weight in winter is that much of a difference from 40, especially a synthetic. Right now, its close to freezing and it pours like water, not molasses like the 15w40 dino oil I have.

I just want to know if the ratings I posted are ok for an IDI diesel engine, or old school soot collector, lol!

Last edited:
I doubt your engine would fail or anything terrible would happen, but I'd rather run a CG4/CH4/CI4/CJ4 oil, 5W40 if you need that viscosity. You said it yourself - "soot collector". The later diesel oils have increased levels of soot dispersants.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
I doubt your engine would fail or anything terrible would happen, but I'd rather run a CG4/CH4/CI4/CJ4 oil, 5W40 if you need that viscosity. You said it yourself - "soot collector". The later diesel oils have increased levels of soot dispersants.

Charlie

Well I'll just run it. I use Amsoil filters and only go 5000 km's.

Originally Posted By: turbovanman
I have access to some good synthetic oil for my van, not looking for extended drain just making it easier on it for winter. Its 5w50. I'll also be turbocharging it next spring so if ok n/a, it should be good for turbo too as its rated for turbo engines.

Specs-

API sm/cf
Acea A3/B3
BMW LL98
Mercedes 229.1
Ford WSS M2C931-B
VW/Audi 502.00 and 505.00.

A normally-aspirated diesel engine needs all the soot-controlling additives it can get. None of these specs add up to a good API CI-4/CJ-4 rated oil, either conventional 15w40 or synthetic 5w40.

Save the 5w50 for some other engine, I don't know what but not in your diesel.

I disagree-I have one of the last 6.2 diesel engines made by GM, a '93, and it only calls for CE, 5W50 Mobil 1 (?) would be an excellent oil in ALL conditions for a 6.2, and unless you have a bad injection pump or injectors, massive leaks, or internal coolant leakage you could go 7500 miles/over 10000 km EASILY on that oil! I just wish mine didn't leak (front timing cover seal) so I could run synthetic in mine!

I would think the oil would be trashed by soot loading long before 10000 miles, but a UOA would prove it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back