Canadian Tire Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me who makes the various grades of Canadian Tire oil. A friend told me Petro-Canada and one of the desk-kids at Can. Tire said it is imported by Shell. Anyone have a definitive answer?
Thanks.

Hello cb:
I'm sure you will get an answer pretty quick.
Papa Bear in Wheatley
welcome.gif

I would say the answer is NO ....

Duron XL synthetic blend meets EO-N spec

Nov 1, 2002 12:00 PM

Petro-Canada's Duron XL Synthetic Blend 15W-40 heavy duty engine oil has added the new Mack EO-N Premium Plus specification to its list of OEM and global credentials.

Duron XL Synthetic Blend 15W-40 is formulated from the patented HT purity process Petro-Canada uses to produce 99.9% pure synthetic base oils. By removing impurities, Duron XL Synthetic Blend retains its fresh oil properties longer. Petro-Canada blends in specialty additives for even longer fluid life and greater equipment protection from abrasive soot particles.

In field trials with a major on-highway commercial carrier against non-synthetic blend 15W-40 heavy duty engine oils, Duron XL Synthetic Blend 15W-40 stayed in grade longer, provided faster cold-weather start-ups, demonstrated better wear protection, and had a longer oil life.

For more information, contact Petro-Canada, PO Box 2844, 150 Sixth Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2P 3E3.

BTW if you can get t/use the Duron XL GO FOR IT ! great oil I have seen some fantastic UOA on this oil ..wish it were availble over here..nextime I am up in BC ..I am getting 5-6 gallons

I used to work there (6 years ago). I heard it was made by Esso? But, whoever it's made by, how good is it? I am interested in some Formula 1 Synthetic.

It did used to be made by Imperial oil (which owns Esso) but they made the switch to Shell a few years ago.

Thanks for the help. It appears to be made by Shell. I find it interesting that many grades are now in quart size bottles instead of litre size.
Hi to Papa Bear - you are just a stones throw away from me in Chatham.

I agree with Patman,

The petrochemical co I work for solely uses Esso, when I spoke with our site Esso rep a couple of years ago he told me that Esso use to supply CDN Tire, and that Shell now does.

I tried Canadian Tire Oil...tires were really shiny black, but I couldn't get ANY traction......should I have only put it on the sidewalls and not the tread?
wink.gif

"I tried Canadian Tire Oil...tires were really shiny black, but I couldn't get ANY traction..."

It's a directional oil.

I looked up a bunch of their oils, and they all say Shell, even Autolab and Nugold. The Troy Bilt 2 cycle oil is the same product as the Snowmobile oil.

The F1 synthetic 5w50 is also made by Shell, though Shell doesn't list it in their product handbook. msds 460-337 lists pour point as -36C, flash point pensky-martens CC is 186C, 19.5 to 20.5 cSt.

288707 F1 synthetic 5w30 flash point 227C

They are illegally using the API donut on their products, including the "Energy Conserving" label on their 20w50, 10w40 and 5w50 oils.

Shell does make Canadian tire oil ("dino" and Synthetic). I too was curious about this when they had their Formula 1 Synthetic on sale back in November. I looked at the MSDS on the CT website and saw that the MSDS were prepared by Shell Canada. I then got in touch with Shell and they confirmed everything. Due to confidentiality, the Shell person could not reveal whether the Canadian Tire Formula 1 Synthetic was Grp3 or Grp 4 oil. But he did say that Shell does make Synthetic products that could contain either type of oil. He just wasn't allowed to reveal what blend Canadian Tire was purchasing from Shell.

Phil

I see that the Canadian Tire Formula 1 Synthetic is on sale this week at $4.49 a liter, even the 5W20. That is almost half the price of M1 0W20 that I should be using in my Civic Hybrid. I currently use one litre of M1 0W20 and complete the fill with Mobile Clean 5000 that I purchased in Michigan. Any thought on this mixture?

Canadian Tire Formula 1 oils are very good IMO. I too, contacted Shell about a year ago and they confirmed that they do, in fact make the oil for Canadian Tire. I make a Synthetic blend out of the Formula 1 dino (always on sale) and the Formula 1 100% Synthetic (sometimes on sale). My blend yields about 25%-30% synthetic properties. That's just me though. The regular dino (Formula 1 and Supreme) are excellent oils on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back