Lubro-Moly Anti-friction additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
I ordered some from NAPA yesterday. It was surprisingly inexpensive -- only $4.25 per can when I thought it would be around $6.00.

Yea, I'm sure they're bound to catch on to this and raise the price...NAPA usually isn't the first store I'll call if I'm looking for a bargain.

I have to get me some of this to try for myself. Sounds like something good.

Used to be able to get a similar product up here, 'Molyslip'.

Can't find it in stores anymore....

Last week, I added 3/4 can of Lubro-Moly to 4.2qts of GTX 5w30 during a last minute OCI. I premixed the batch before I dumped it in and I will admit I felt a bit uneasy about pouring the 'gray goo' into my engine. However, the ~7.5oz of MoS2 made an immediate and noticeable difference. The idle is smoother & quieter than before. It's been very cold here this week and cold starts are simply amazing...no normally present chatter or vibrations from the moment I turn the key. I've also discovered that the engine no longer labors when cold, although I still take it easy until it's warmed up. If this stuff remains @ $4/can...it's a keeper for me.

Guys how much should i add to a 5-6qt sump a whole 300ml 10oz can id say to start with then cut down there after,thoughts??

yup good stuff NAPA has it every day priced for $4.30 i picked up 3 cans thinking about a case,lol

Great price! My NAPA guy looked at me like I was nuts, said he couldn't order it either, then got annoyed when I told him he could. No more of my business for him. AAP had it for $6.99/bottle, they're always high, but with the $10 off coupon it was a deal. I grabbed some.

Back on topic, I spoke with a rep from the company, and he said use the whole bottle, every other OCI. Don't add it to every OCI. Being BITOG'ers I would think a full bottle, then 1/2-1 ounce of it per qt at each OCI? Lets hear it!

Edit to add:
I think for the initial treatment, I would use a cheaper filter as well, but they assured me it would pass through the best filter and is harmless to all metals inside an engine. HTH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Great price! My NAPA guy looked at me like I was nuts, said he couldn't order it either, then got annoyed when I told him he could. No more of my business for him. AAP had it for $6.99/bottle, they're always high, but with the $10 off coupon it was a deal. I grabbed some.

Back on topic, I spoke with a rep from the company, and he said use the whole bottle, every other OCI. Don't add it to every OCI. Being BITOG'ers I would think a full bottle, then 1/2-1 ounce of it per qt at each OCI? Lets hear it!

Edit to add:
I think for the initial treatment, I would use a cheaper filter as well, but they assured me it would pass through the best filter and is harmless to all metals inside an engine. HTH

yea that was my next thought,i run AC UPF filters,but i cant see it filtering the moly out.

again thoughts on adding a whole can guy's to start??? then cut back???

I'd go for the whole can first go around. In fact that is exactly what I plan on doing in a few weeks when I change the oil in the old Aerostar. Hopefully after that there will be enough discussion on either smaller doses or skipping OCI's.

What's your gut telling you?

Yea im with you, im feeling a whole can to start with,i have 5 and 6qt sumps so IMO i'd be perfect,maybe a little light in the 6 qt sump(according to directions if im reading it right) but thats fine.

The first time I used it was in the middle of a series of used-oil tests. I poured a full 300ml can in along with about 4.25-4.50 quarts of Mobil 1 5w40 (which contains no moly, the 0w40 has a tiny amount).

Wear metals dropped off when I tested after 10k miles. I didn't add any more, but tested again after 10k miles; there was still some residual moly in that test and wear metals continued to decline slightly. Then I stopped using it for 1-2 years because I didn't know of a convenient place to get it.

Now that I have some again, I only added about 150 ml at the last oil change. But I think what I should have done was add the full container this time and then 150 ml at each oil change from now on. I think this strategy would work for any sump capacity from 4-6 quarts.

I guess were all thinking along the same lines. Full 300 ml to start them maybe 1 ounce/qt to follow. That would be about half a bottle in a 5 qt sump as a main't dose.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I can see how the residual moly left over from running a full can could be effective. There was quite a bit of Lubro-Moly visible in my oil mixing container after I dumped it in. Perhaps by dropping the drain plug while the engine is cold you could maximize the amount of moly left over to blend with a strait batch of oil. Just an idea.

The company told me the moly stays around for a while, and stays in suspension. That was the reason they said add it every other OCI, since it for lack of a better word it "plates" itself to metal. I still like the idea of an ounce/qt after the initial full bottle treatment.

Good info...i think also i'll run one of my $.95 cent AAP red total grip filter just incase but thats not a issue i know.

Besides good concentrations of moly & boron (I like BOTH of those additives!!), what else in in this stuff??

I most certainly do NOT need any more zinc/phos.!!!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Besides good concentrations of moly & boron (I like BOTH of those additives!!), what else in in this stuff??

Here's a VOA on it,,lovely stuff isnt it????
20.gif
,,look at that Moly........im getting a case!

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
If you are using a name brand oil...like Mobil 1 or others... why do you need to put in a additive?????

Well you dont need.....too,,, but even great oils like Amsoil M1 RL etc that is low in moly can benefit from a moly(anti-wear additive). do a search on what it can do been talked about lots in the last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back