API SF rated oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that SF rated oil is fine for flat tappet cam engines. However, SF rated oil is now obsolete. I have searched the net to try and determine what the SF rated oils had in the way of ZDDP (Zinc/Phosphorus) and found nothing.

Does anyone have info on what the actual SF specs were, for Z & P on SF rated oils?

So much [censored] concerning ZDDP levels on oil that, if I had the original API SF specs, I could make a more inteligent choice on what oil to run.

Please don't give me specs on the boo-tique oils that are popular, or on any other oils.

Given the correct information, I can make my own choice.

Thanks,

Not to be grumpy, but did you guys READ my post? I just want API SF specs on Z & P.

But I'm a really old, 67, hotrodder, so I have a right to be grumpy!

I saw a topic here before about SF oil, specifically Accel brand at Walmart which is the only brand I know of, that detailed zinc levels for this very reason. If I recall correctly, zinc levels were actually a bit low even by SM standards. The SF rating really just gives them an excuse to sell an oil without quality controls.

Really the best oil for a classic car is probably an HDEO or Racing oil. More than enough zinc in either.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
I saw a topic here before about SF oil, specifically Accel brand at Walmart which is the only brand I know of, that detailed zinc levels for this very reason. If I recall correctly, zinc levels were actually a bit low even by SM standards. The SF rating really just gives them an excuse to sell an oil without quality controls.

Really the best oil for a classic car is probably an HDEO or Racing oil. More than enough zinc in either.

Exactly. The SF specification is obsolete, API does not license it, so there is no checking of quality. HDEO or racing oil is what I would use.

Glen - I like how NO ONE answered your question. Do a web search. Having 15-20% ester in the the oil is just as or more important than a high zddp. Too high a zddp will cause cam galling - so its not a cure all. Off the shelf at walmart is Mobil 1 high mileage 10w-30 is a full real synthetic with a -65 pour point and high (GF3 level) zddp. Dont know if it has adequate POE/AN ester in the base stock on tyop of the 85% PAO.

Originally Posted By: glen242
Does anyone have info on what the actual SF specs were, for Z & P on SF rated oils?

There were no specifications about P and Zn for SF. IOW there was no limitation on P and Zn. Typical PCMO's used 1000-1200 ppm or so.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Glen - I like how NO ONE answered your question.

The fact that its less than standard SM levels answers his question IMO. He may have asked for exact levels, but thats only so he could compare it with others to determine what I said.

Correct me if I am wrong, from what I am reading here, typical API SF oil contained 0.10-0.12 Zinc and Phosphorus?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Seriously, you want API SF oil? Here ya go, the real deal:

http://www.gulflubricants.net/CMSFiles/File/PDF/Engine-Oils/Security_Value_EOs_&_ATF_PB.pdf

Would LOVE to see a VOA of this product!

No, I don't want SF oil! I just want to know what the Zinc and Phosphorus was in the SF oil so I can purchase new oil formulation oil that has the same amount of Z & P.

I am sure a modern oil, with at least as much Z&P as the SF oil had, will work fine on my Gen 1 flat tappet engine.

I was asking for hard numbers, not sales pitches for various oils, or opinions on what oils would work.

So far, the best info I can find here is that SF had between 0.10 and 0.12 Z&P. So any modern oil with these levels should work fine.

Pleas correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

If your assumptions on zinc levels are right you could use a SJ or possibly a SL. Very few off the shelf passenger car oils meet those levels. You should probably run a HDEO like Rotella.

Hi,
glen242 - You said this;
"So far, the best info I can find here is that SF had between 0.10 and 0.12 Z&P. So any modern oil with these levels should work fine."

I suspect your information is correct

It most likely depends on the viscosity. API ratings after SF applied .10 max. to 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30. Higher viscosity lubricants had/have no limits

I was searching for a stout oil like you, and came to the conclusion that Rotella T 10w-30 CJ-4 would be great for most any healthy old pushrod motor making less than 1hp/cu in and having near stock valvesprings. About 12 bucks a gallon jug. Then you have Valvoline VR1 street/race oils, John deere tractor oils, briggs lawnmower oils etc..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back