Thoughts on Delo 400 le

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the concensus on Delo 400 LE.

It is basically a dino oil wiht a really strong additive package.

I noticed the local Partsource carries it, and it has the SM rating.

I'm guessing it'd handle 5K?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: ryan2022

I'm guessing it'd handle 5K?

Thanks
Most any SM passenger car motor oil will do 5,000 miles with east . Try double the miles with DELO

This is in a gas engine mind you.

This stuff is dirt cheap. I cant beleive its as good as people say it is.

Its 17.99 a gallon a the local partsource......Thats good for us.

The only thing that concerns me, is our winters get pretty cold up here. I'm not sure how its cold performance is.

I've got a block heater, maybe thats the answer. Its just hard to pass up doing my whole years worth of oil changes for $50.

well, the oil is 10w30, and the jeep calls for 10w30.

I just saw the pour point was "only" -27 C. Not terrible, but not as good as some dinos, and not close to most synthetics.

I didnt see the pumping viscosity or the other specs. Not sure about those.

If you can get delo 10w-30, thats great. I'd use it anyplace where a robust Dino 30wt is needed

Since I am a fan of the Chevron line of lubes and I live in Calif I think this oil will be a good choice for my Toyota Pick-Up, 1989, with 22RE engine. Owners manual says 15w-40 is ok. A previous post I had got a lot of feedback that this engine is very durable and not to loose any sleep over most of the available oils out there. With the harbor close, there are plenty of truck stops to get my DELO. And the big-3 (Pep Boys, Kragen, and Auto Zone)in town, seems someone always has this lube on sale.

Seeing how youre in cali, Id would definetely use delo all year round.

I would be using it too, but the winter here is so bloody cold, and cold performance isnt its strong point. Its probably the best deal on the shelf for dino oil in my oppinion.

And about the 22RE........heck yeah its a tough engine.

The toyota pickups in general are incredible. I had a '90 with the 2.7 L V6, and yes, the previous owner did the head gasket. lol. The 42RE is a much better engine. They'll go forever. If youre interested, go on you tube, and find the top gear episode, how to kill a Toyota......you will be VERY proud of your truck.

Don't confuse excellent oil vs. the needed viscosity. I wouldn't use 15W-40 in your winter climate. Any good brand of 5W-30 would be my choice...Chevron would be a good one. Then, when the weather is warmer, the Delo 400 LE is fine.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
well, the oil is 10w30, and the jeep calls for 10w30.

I just saw the pour point was "only" -27 C. Not terrible, but not as good as some dinos, and not close to most synthetics.

I didnt see the pumping viscosity or the other specs. Not sure about those.

Being a HDEO viscosity will be higher vs a PCMO.

Lucky dog! I've never been able to find DELO 10W30 on any shelf anywhere. I concur that it's a top drawer HDEO. Right the 15W40 variety is sold at $10.50 at my local WalMart, which beats the Rotella-T. Usually it's the other way around.

Delo 400 LE 10W-30 oil offers better fuel economy
Oct 21, 2009 11:57 AM
After laboratory and field testing in heavy-duty engines, Chevron’s Delo 400 LE SAE 10W-30 oil has demonstrated an ability to provide fuel economy improvements over the more commonly used 15W-40 grade diesel oil.

Delo 400 LE 10W-30 showed a 1% fuel economy improvement over 15W-40 oils and a 0.5% fuel economy improvement over 5W-40 grade synthetic lubricants. For fleets, the savings associated with these fuel economy improvements can be substantial.

Use of the lower-viscosity Delo 400 LE 10W-30 does not come at the expense of engine durability. In fact, Chevron also conducted laboratory and field durability tests with Delo 400 LE 10W-30 that proved the product provides wear levels and oil drains that fleets have come to expect from the leading 15W-40 motor oils. Durability tests were conducted on a number of diesel platforms, including Detroit Diesel DD15, Cummins ISX, Mack MP7, and DAF 12.9 Liter.

Chevron also tested its Delo 400 LE 10W-30 on 2010 engines from Volvo and experienced similar durability and fuel economy results.

This combination of fuel economy and engine durability is a result of Chevron’s proprietary ISOSYN technology. This technology combines highly refined base oils with additives to create products that rival synthetic lubricants in critical performance tests while maintaining costs similar to mineral-based oils. Delo 400 LE SAE 10W-30 is available in gallon jugs, five-gallon pails, 55-gallon drums, and in bulk.

http://www.chevrondelo.com/deloperformance/docs/Delo_400LE_Sellsheet6.pdf

The Delo 400 line of products is an excellent product. Besides, they still make the best gallon jug out there, especially if you're an over the road trucker. Stand it up or lay it down, works either way. What a novel idea.

If I can find Delo 400 10-30 locally, I won't hesitate to use it in a 1991 Lexus LS400 and a 1996 Nissan Quest. I'm a little leary running a current PCMO in those.

The DELO 400 is as good as it gets. I still remember when I went to Garlow the first time to pickup some DELO400. They gave me all kinds of test and brochures comparing the DELO400 versus synthetic oil. They did that to all their costumers as that was the early beginning for DELO400 here. It's as good as synthetic oil without the cost of synthetic was their slogan. This was in the early 90's. I even did my own test in dusty not normal conditions. The DELO400 out did all the majors PCMO after 3000 miles and could easily gone further the other PCMO needed to be changed. Also need to remember times were different as today.

I never tried Shell's Rotella reason Chevron has a major play here. Also temp conditions 65F-90F so no cold starts is very ideal with the DELO products.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
that was the early beginning for DELO400 here. This was in the early 90's.

I was using Delo 400 15W40 on my 69 Landcruiser with a Perkins 4.236 in 1975. Back then it was a CD (Series 3) oil.

Charlie

Great oil.

I've been running Delo 15W-40 in my '87 Legend for over 107k miles. I switched over from Catrol GTX and Valvoline at 294K miles. The engine has never been apart and uses 1qt of oil every 4500 miles.

The one thing that Delo did for this engine is quiet the chronic hydraulic tappet noise that is engine (C27A) seems to develop as it ages. It didn't do it over night, though. It took years and a lot of miles.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The Delo 400 line of products is an excellent product. Besides, they still make the best gallon jug out there, especially if you're an over the road trucker. Stand it up or lay it down, works either way. What a novel idea.

+ 1000!!!! The Delo jugs are perfect shape. The handle is an easy grip too, even with oily hands or with gloves on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back